Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What type of Ins, is what you get in your knee  (Read 1130 times)

Offline sylgeren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What type of Ins, is what you get in your knee
« on: August 09, 2003, 02:56:48 AM »
I just found out that since I have a HMO Ins. that I will probably get the cheapest knee replacement . Is there any one who can tell me a little about this.  Syl
Sylvia Geren March 2l,2003 had right knee arthoscopic surgery.  Very little cartilge left.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: What type of Ins, is what you get in your knee
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 05:44:25 AM »
HI!

I don't know what the "cheaopest knee replacement" could consist of.  There are already policies that seem to push for the shortest hospital stays possible.  Do you have someone who can care for you at home when you leave?  If not, the rehab period might be an issue--many people spend a couple of weeks in rehab after their post-op in the hospital--and that could go against the grain of an HMO.

The actual procedure itself--has to go a certain way and it is unlikely there is anything that can be alltered.  Your os will be very invested in your surgery and a positive outcome, so the HMO won't get in the way of decent care.

I think it is so sad that these companies and groups are slashing away at the quality of our health care--it makes all of us nervous.

In any case--good luck with your procedure.  Is it scheduled?  Do you have a date and all of the details worked out?

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline sylgeren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 09:26:36 PM »
At the moment I have not made up my mind to who will do the surgery.  My OS. is not giving me a lot of encourgement to his skills.  Still cheking around in the Riverside area for another OS to get a second opinion.  But thanks for the input, great to be able to ask questions and get such a response.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Syl
Sylvia Geren March 2l,2003 had right knee arthoscopic surgery.  Very little cartilge left.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 11:03:51 PM »
The problems with HMO's is not the mechanical parts for the replacement. It is finding an OS who participates that is actually any good.  Some HMO's are fine but others are not.  HMO provides the cheapest payment possible for the surgeon's services so most surgeon's do not participate in them. It's sad but it's the way things are now a days.  Keep looking around and don't just settle. Sometimes you can even call the insurance company and tell that you are not satisfied with the providers you have to choose from and sometimes they will let you go out of the network without any fees. I mean this IS a big operation and if it is done poorly it will only cost the insurance more right?  I wish you luck!

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

support