Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hydro exercises  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Servene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
hydro exercises
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
I am recovering from a broken patella.  I go swimming and exercise in the pool most days.  I would like to know if there are any recommended exercises to either strenthen the knee, build up the muscles or improve flexion that one can do in the pool.

Offline peggycole

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: hydro exercises
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
IF you  can find a water aeobics class that would be a big help.  I did water aerobics daily for 5 months after breaking my patella and gained back almost full range of motion that way.  I just had the hardware removed and hope to be back in the water in 2 weeks.  I recommend at least 30 minutes daily, a full hour if you can manage it.

here are the exercises that made my recovery rapid and practically back to normal rom: These are all lower body but I also do upper body combines with these exercises.

Begin in deep water and when your knee can stand impact you can move to shallower water.

#! - Water walking (not swimming) using a styrofoarm noodle, bicycling the water with bent knees and then with straight legs.  Deep water does the most for muscle recovery since there is more pressure against your legs.

#2 - knee bends, touching your toes in front with bent knee and then in back with bent knee.  Gradually the bending will increase.

#3 - at the pool side soles of feet on the wall 2-4 feet apart.  Bend body to one side then then the other by bending one knee and then the other.  You can reach your hand across your body to the pool side with the bent knee.

#4 - Mexican hat dance in the water.

$5 - Standing at the pool side with your body at right angles to the pool raise your leg straight in front, then to the side, then in back.  Do this on both sides.

#6 - Jog in place, bending your knees.

#7 - Water ski in place, opposite arm and opposite leg extended, no knee bend. 

#8 - Cannon ball.  AS if on a diving board bend both knees towards your chest and have your hands or floats meet under bent knees.  First have them meet in front, then in back.

With all these exercises listen to your body.  If you have pain STOP, if you can only get part way to the goal do that, your rom will improve daily.  Good luck. I am convinced water aerobics was what restored my full rom.  It took 5 months though!!

if you have hand floats available use them as well to exercise the upper body.  ONLY DO WHAT FEELS COMFORTABLE, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, IT'S BETTER TO DO TOO LITTLE THAN TOO MUCH.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: hydro exercises
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/1768_arthritis-aquatics-combination.htm
I love my aqua fitness class - I started with a class specially modified for arthritis and then progressed to the regular class.
These videos show the exercises I started with - take it slow and easy and stop if I becomes painful.

Sending healing rays  your way

8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS