Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patella fracture.....5 weeks post op  (Read 773 times)

Offline fellhard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella fracture.....5 weeks post op
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »
i missed a step, fell on concrete sprained my left ankle, broke my right knee cap in 4 pieces, fractured my right arm. i had surgery on my knee, had wires, and screws put in. i have been in an immobilizer for 5 weeks now and will be two more until my next visit to the os. my knee will barely bend and i am worried about this. my cpm was turned in after 2 weeks. should i try to get one again? canT believe how long this is taking, how long before i can bend my knee without the tight feeling that makes it unable to bend? i started some hydro therapy last week hoping it would help loosen things up, any info will be much appreciated.

Offline peggycole

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella fracture.....5 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Dear fellhard,

Your knee will feel stiff for  few months so don't worry about getting back your ROM.  This is a VERY SLOW process.  it took me 5 months of almost daily exercise (no pt) through water aerobics to get back almost full motion.  The hardware was just removed and I expect full ROM when the wound heals.  YOu will have to be very patient but a patella fracture is a big deal and the knee stiffness lasts a very long time.  I still don't have full feeling around the knee cap after breaking my patella in 3 places.
peggy

Offline fellhard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella fracture.....5 weeks post op
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:10:51 AM »
thanks peggy, guess i will chill out =D, i was worried something might be wrong, however the more i read about patella fractures it does seem like a lengthy process, i'm very active and trying to be patient, doing alot of arts and crafts to keep busy!. i did drive today for the first time, it was great. i appreciate the info, hope you are doing well also.

support