Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LARS question  (Read 19380 times)

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: LARS question
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
Hello all

It has been three (3) years since our last update.
Zack is almost 6 years post LARS.
He is finished Uni and now boxes.
The knee is 100%, it is like it never happened.

Hope this instill confidence in anyone considering this option.

Kneedad

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »
Hi kneedad,

Thanks for the update, nice to know that your son is doing so well. You have had really good luck. Some long term studies are coming out now and things appear not to be so rosy. Several former surgeons who were strong supporters in Australia for example have stopped using LARS in the last 2 or 3 years and now actually argue against its use. I'm reading about LARS being used more with compromised but not fully torn PCLs and being highly successful in this area.

Did your son ever return to top end football while at college? I know he got a scholarship but was not sure if it was a full football scholarship. Does the switch to boxing mean that football has taken a back seat?

I'm still following this with some interest as any alternatives that actually last and do not degrade have to be a serious consideration for some cases. I've recently heard from a friend who had one of the carbon fibre grafts back in the 1980s. His graft has finally failed and the carbon particles are making it essential that he has a total knee replacement as soon as possible before the particles move out of the knee area. My 2 both snapped thank God, so that is not something I have to worry about, so as we say here, I had some luck in my bad luck.

Sue  :)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Update
Its been over 7 years now.
Not a problem, not even any knee pain.
To answer the last question. Yes Zack finished his football in college and was at the end faster and stronger than he had ever been.
He now has a full time job (plumber) which is very physical and is in the gym 6 days a week.
He is a big strong young man.

If I had to do it all over again... absolutely.
Sometimes it is the surgeon that makes the difference

support