Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LARS question  (Read 19374 times)

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: LARS question
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
Hi sorry for the late response.

Our medical up here did not cover it either, It is a private clinic, which we paid for.

I would have paid twice that for the results we got

My son is zipping around like it never happened. Everything we could do to get him not to play the last game.
He is running, sprinting and has started the weights ( not heavy)

On Dec 9 it will be 3 months from surgery and that is to be the magic date when he can do what ever he wants.

Hope it all works out please let me know

Dress warm, not sure where you are coming from but it is cold here now.

any questions email me at [email protected]

good luck

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
Nov 20/08  ........Officially done Physio

Happy boy, now it is just about getting back some strength and mental confidence.

Kneedad

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the updates KD. It's good to hear how well your son is doing in reality. So much for the run-in, run-out sales pitch that previously poisoned the water against this technique.

Can you keep us posted on his progress as he returns to full sport as well please?

I think positive reports about LARs are necessary but only from people who have first-hand knowledge based on their own actual experience. I think those of you reading know which posters we can do without! Product placement has no place here as the bottom line for those people is how much money can I get from this!

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline doublea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »
Hi All,

I thought I'd give you my surgery story with LARS as when I was trying to do some research on it I couldnt find much.

First of all my history, I've been playing all kinds of sport for years, Im now 23 and only had 1 major injury before injuring my knee a few weeks ago, and that was an ACL/maniscus tear on my right leg in Oct of 2007, I had a hamstring style ACL resconstruction and had an amazingly successful surgery, was back running after 11 weeks (a bit ahead of schedule) and have absolutely zero pain or problems 1 year down the track, and amazing job was done and everyone physio or doctor I've seen since has been impressed by the results, I cant complain either.

I did a similar tear in September of this year but this time on my other knee, the left one and because I knew the routine I knew who to see incase it was an ACL tear, and of course it was. I was scheduled in to see my surgeon from the first surgery (now 13 days post injury) for an initial consultion and my surgeon is a rather popular and well known one down here in Melbourne, Australia and the most popular sport here Australian Football has a lot of ACL tears so he gets a lot of work, and he said he had been recently testing out the LARS surgery on around 20 patients and all had been a success so far, and that because I saw him so soon to the injury I could get a LARS operation. But I had to approve it first, so when he mentioned the halfing of recovery times, less pain, etc I like a challenge so why not give it a go? Even though the traditional hamstring graft worked so successfully for me last time, there was a slight element of risk of this new operation and when I went online for some research I could really only find negative stories about the operation.

I'm now 6.5 weeks post op and nobody can tell I had a knee reconstruction 6.5 weeks ago, I've actually been in the gym doing hamstring stretches, leg presses and bike/rowing machine since 4 weeks post-op which is around 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule of my surgery from last year. I was told I'd be able to run and be back to normal with-in 12 weeks, as we're now halfway there and theres so little out there on the surgery I thought I'd give my own story to anyone who is thinking about having this operation.

Basically I feel its been a great success in comparison to the hamstring graft, I was able to easily walk around with crutches the day after the surgery (I nearly fainted after 2-3 steps after my hamstring graft last year) the recovery time has definitely been lessened, the pain is much less as the graft takes less time to settle into the knee and I also dont have a hamstring tear, last year I was be awake all night long in pain up till about 2 weeks post-op and this time around with correct medication I was able to sleep pain free.

There are all these crazy stories I had heard about people walking out of hospital 2-3 days later, doing light exercises 3-4 days after without knee braces, and people back to full operation with-in 8 weeks and while those are all feel-good stories, in my case I havent recovered that quickly but I'd like to think Im on the way.

I go for regular 30-45m walks daily and bike/rowing machine at the gym when I can, I have attempted running and can get around 20-30 strides into a run before there is pain, but I've been told to push it by my physio who has been great. I'd like to think that with-in 2-3 weeks I will be running pain free, my knee is now able to be straightened flat against the ground which was definitely not the case a few weeks ago, and with the right amount of patience and physio work I think the Lars can work tremendously.

I guess if anyone else has any questions about the LARS v the Traditional types of ACL reconstructions I guess I'm a great person to ask because I've had both, and there cant be that many of us out there.

Cheers.

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »
Doublea

Thanks for adding your story, sound very similar to ours.

Lars is a great option, especially when done soon after the injury.

When the true recover stories are told it sounds much more believable.

Good luck in your recover, keep us updated as I will too.

Kneedad

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
Hi all

Three months and a day and all is well.

He has been back to his running coach for about three weeks and is working on reaching his top speed.

The first week was horrible, he had zero confidence and was obviously nervous. Week 2 and three was 100% better. Now he is thinking about the running and not his knee. I have been told by many people that confidence is the hardest thing to get back, now I see it is true.

As far as the knee, no complaints. four little scares and that is about it.

Once and awhile he gets a pain near the lower screw. but no "knee" pain at all. He has been doing leg weight exercises with no pain and no swelling.

Thats about it for now. shooting to be ready to compete early in the new year.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Kneedad

Offline Pedro_2008

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »
having read this thread and a whole lot of others too I have decided that I wish to investigate the option of having the LARS surgery further ...does anyone know of a surgeon in the UK who does this kind of Knee repair
my  18 year old son is an elite athlete too, who needs to get back to fitness quickly . he and I both appreciate there are risks involved and we havent made the final decision yet  but would like to see a Dr who does this
Many thanks

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »
Hi all
Just an update.
It has been 5 months since the surgery and he is back to were he was before the ACL tear.
His times are the same, at a heavier weight.
scouts are back and offers have started.

Life is great again.

will keep in touch.

Kneedad

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »
Thanks for the update KneeDad - good to hear that the coaches are sniffing around! Just a reminder though, is he wearing any kind of brace for games/training at all?

It would be nice for people here and future patients if you could try to update things every so often. I know you did a hell of a lot of research and stuck through despite the comments from a lot of us here. It is good to read of success stories and one thing that maybe will change peoples minds is the idea of a continued success.

I'm now back skiing, albeit gently - no instructing until next season. My battle is to get the fitness back in these old legs, and by that I mean the stamina to keep going with clients for a whole day. I restarted at 6 months and one week after my mega surgery in August so even with the conventional methods a return to sport is not impossible.

I hope your son gets a good scholarship.

Sue  ;)
3/06 LK ACL torn!

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »
Hi All

Been a while since the last update....

Football season has started and the testing has begun.

On May 25th he competed in a Combine at a local University and ran a 4.44 forty, his fastest time ever.
He is now 100%, actually he is faster and stronger than before.

He scored his fist touch down on Sunday and is back in his zone.

Never mentions the knee at all.

Hope every one is good and healthy

Kneedad

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
That's a truly fantastic result KneeDad. I'm so glad you stuck to your faith in the surgeon's advice.

This is a really good example of LARS in a young person, but without all the unbelievable (and consequently devaluing) marketing that has been spun by people promoting this for financial reasons previously here on the Boards.

Can you keep us posted on how it goes in the future if at all possible. All the doctors I have asked about it have not been very complimentary or open to it as a procedure, but here you are showing that it does work. The lack of long term studies is a big deficit in everything I have read so far. Maybe you can provide us with at least a small one  ;D ;D

More importantly - what scholarship offers does he have so far on the table? I hope it is a good selection so far  ;) You must be really proud of him.

He should certainly be really proud of you for bucking the trend and sticking with what you thought was the best option. Because you have been proven to be right and all us doom and gloom merchants were wrong!

Good news is always welcome

Sue  ;)
3/06 LK ACL torn!

Offline kneedad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »
Update time....

Well it has been a year and all is good.
Over the summer he took a few hits to the leg that scared the crap out of me, as he hopped of the field. But all is good.
Yesterday was the league Championship, which his team won.
He scored 2 touchdowns and was awarded game MVP.

Recruiting time now... will keep you updated.

Kneedad

Offline xainis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »
Greetings from Greece.

Great post Kneedad. It helped me a lot to understand some things.

I am 35 years old and I had made my ACL surgery on 26th of August (I have broken my ACL back in end June). Unfortunately or fortunately, I had to follow the only option that our family friend doctor (but one of the famous doctors for knees here and expert on his method) is practicing: Hamstrings graft (but only 1 string I think) supported by a LARS 30 ligament (as the doctor said, it is used to strengthen my autograft). I will ask my doctor why he used the 30 LARS and not something more. I assume because of my age, the fact that it is a combination with the hamstrings and my lifestyle (However, I am still active in sports like soccer and tennis).
The surgery has taken about 1.5 hours (full anesthesia) and I stayed at the hospital for one night. Pains after the surgery were not so bad. The scares were very limited (now almost invisible) due to a very good plastic job I got.

One week after the surgery I was able to walk without support, but of course not for two long and with minimal angle. I was given antibiotics for 4 days, pain killers (which I have not used for long), anti-inflamatory drug and anti-thrombotic injections (for 20 days). I have started my physiotherapy (at one of the most known centers in Greece, meaning very experienced) one and half week after the surgery and now I have done almost 7 sessions. I am almost to full extension (however feeling some pain at the center of the knee when trying too much), I am doing some static cycling and I walk almost normally (I can also drive). I don't bend my knee fully (it hurts still) but I am in a good path. I would be far more better if I did not have a very intense pain at the exterior side of my gastrocnemius muscle (at the height of the knee and back), which is attributed most probably to a tendinitis (I am using a local anti-inflammatory liquid, ice and kinisiotape).

Having read firstly about all the LARS negatives, to be honest, I was very puzzled. Kneedad gave me back some confidence (thanks). I hope that everything will go ok in the long term. Having discussed a lot with my physiotherapists who have worked with many famous athletes here, a very short feedback is:

- No matter which is the method you follow, returning 100% to sports after a period of less than 6 months is considered a high risk
- Shelf confidence and shelf discipline to follow the program is crucial for the recovery
- Don't push yourself too much, because the injured body has lower limits
- Months 2-4 are very crucial when you use autograft because it is when it starts receiving blood on its own, so it is more sensitive

I will try to keep you posted

Many wishes to all for fast recovery and many many professional success after the return to sports!

George

Offline Ozkneegal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 05:59:55 AM »
Hello Kneedad and others...

Can’t tell you how wonderful forums are for discussing the Lars vs Not to Lars debate. 

As you have noted - when I was faced with the same question - I found many negative comments about Lars, but on further probing - none from actual first hand accounts.  I found it very frustrating when trying to make the "right" decision that so many people who hadn’t actually opted for Lars, had a strong negative comment.  But alas, the joy of free speech and forums - we're all entitled to an opinion.

So here's my account.

Participate in relatively high representative level of sport.
Complete and clean rupture of ACL – March 25, 2009
LARS surgery a week later
6 months post op from Lars - playing sport.  Obviously taking it easy as we are in the off season and im not playing the state comp yet - but in squad participating in preseason with every intention of return to former level within months.

Now, interestingly enough - this is my second reco - first 8 years ago with patella method.  Still have niggles, have some laxidity in the previous non – lars reco. 

I laugh about how strong and tight the newly reco’d knee feels compared to the older one…

So, coming first hand, from one compared to the other… would recommend Lars to anyone.  And not only because of the obvious recovery speed – but the lack of complications from taking from another part of the body.

I know its new, and the required 15 – 20 yrs of experience hasn’t passed; but I for one – am very happy to be part of the experiment.

Will drop you a line in a couple of months, post preseason to share how it held up.

Ozkneegal.
x

Offline Rustyiron

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
Hey guys,

Agreed Ozkneegal, this site has definitely helped me with both coming to terms with completely rupturing my acl 3 weeks ago playing soccer and with a decision on how to proceed. Congratulations on the recovery and hope it keeps going well by the way.

After plenty of research and thinking, I have also decided to go down the LARS path, just gotta find an OS in Perth now to do the surgery.

Since the injury and seeing the PT, I have been trying to do as much as possible to keep the knee and surrounding muscles strong before surgery by using a stationary bike and doing some leg weights (only those recommended), however, I am finding my good knee is getting sore and keeps making 'clicky' noises on most pedal rotations and weight exercises - question is, is this normal and just due to walking with a slight limp so it is carrying extra weight or maybe something else?

Cheers for any possible help.

Rusty

support