Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral release poor recovery - heeelllpp!!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline nappa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral release poor recovery - heeelllpp!!
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
 >:( Could someone please give me some urgent advice. Referred to orth due to repeated dislocation of knee was scheduled for arthroscopy upon arrival at hospital informed they were going to a latera release. This was two years ago! Was discharged and told to wait for physio to get in touch (this took 3 weeks). I undertook physio for six month using exercises such as straight leg raises etc even resorting to electrolysis (i think thats right) and was ultimately discharged and told to carry on doing the exercises. Was still not better by about December/Jan (exactly one year after op) so contacted hospital again was told to continue exercises and discharged. Have had a baby so did not really exercise whilst pregnant and have just been able to concentrate of getting better again so contacted doctor who refered me to orth again. Upon my appointment i was told that the lateral muscle released had either completely wasted away/snapped or very weak a ultra sound showed a mass of black where muscle should be and was told that I would never run and therefore never play any sport again. Can anyone tell me if this is right and if there are any other exercises I could try or even any type of brace etc.  Really frustrated as had it done so I could continue to play tennis at a decent level but wont be able to play again according to OS.  new to this forum so forgive me if not used correct details or gone on a bit.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated let me know if you need any more info.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:55:53 PM by nappa »
Jan 2006 - Arthroscopy and LR (L)
Sept 2006 - Discharged from physio
Aug 2008 - told would not run again due to lateral muscle either snapped or wastage

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Lateral release poor recovery - heeelllpp!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
I can't answer medically - I've had a release carried out recently and have been given various vmo strengthening exercises to rehab on, but I'm still not best placed to comment except that it sounds awful that you've been told you can't play again :(. I would want a second opinion and I would take further advice from a qualified Physio before selling my tennis racket on Ebay. Don't give up.
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
wasted muscles can come back you just need to work them.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
Maybe a second opinion would help.  You can get wasted muscles back.  It does take time.  Definately see about getting to another OS.  Maybe some more formal PT would help. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline nappa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Thanks for your replies really kind of you to take the time.  Having a 14 week old baby makes it hard to find time to do exercises, find myself doing them in really perculiar places and at silly o'clock in the morning - but giving it a damn good go.  Will let you know what new OS says apparently he's the senior one at the hospital and can be a brutal - so he will tell me how it is.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks again  ;)

Oh, headache all the best in your recovery - am thinking of you.
Aug 2008 - told would not run again due to lateral muscle either snapped or wastage

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
Goodness!  What a delemia; should I nap or should I do PT?  At least you are trying the best you can.  Something is better than nothing at all.  Good luck with the new OS.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline nappa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
Hi All, Just to let you know have had appointment through to see other OS - November.  Will let you know how I go on.  Have bought a power plate to see if that helps (does any one have an opinion on these).  Thanks again for your time and fingers crossed. 

Offline nappa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
Just thought I should mention as well that I have requested a copy of my medical notes from the hospital just so I can go armed with all relevant info.  Costing me 50 - but i think it is worth it.  Mentioning it as I read on one post that they were told they could not get a copy due to Data Protection - but you can under the Freedom of Information Act - this is obviously info for UK users.  Hope this might prove helpful.   :)

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Hi Nappa

Wow! I'd never heard of a "power plate" before now. I've just looked it up on the net. It sounds like a version of a wobble cushion/board and that it should give you better core stability. Would that be a fair summing up?

On Monday my PT gave me an "open appointment" which is good as a discharge, which means the muscles have finally come back, so if you keep up the knee exercises you will reach your goal. I know you will do it - try little and often and do them throughout the day, ie. leg raises etc whilst sat down feeding baby, do heel raises whilst you're brushing your teeth, stretches whilst waiting for the kettle, talking on the phone, standing in a queue and all that kind of stuff and you will be amazed at the results.

Good luck - I'm thinking of you  :)
D
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 04:34:20 AM »
Sounds like more info is needed, good thing you booked that appointment.
Did you see the MRI with the mass or did they just tell you it was there? Just wondering. Would get a copy of the MRI and also the report if you don't already have it (sounds like you are on top of it all).
Think of the PT like brushing your teeth, something you just have to do every day. Perhaps if you do it as early as possible you will know its out of the way. Its good for baby to see you exercise as part of health (ok maybe baby is too small, but still a good example)
Warm wishes
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline nappa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
Hi, thanks for your response - the mass of black where my muscle should be was shown to me via ultrasound after I started crying when they told me I wouldn't do sports again  :'(.  So there will be no actual evidence of it - although I should be able to get a print out surely while they were doing it (will check).  Really nervous for appointment.  Hoping to get power plate soon but have heard they are really vigorous so my right knee will probably pop out again.  Your advice has been great - really wish I had found this site two years ago.  Speak to you soon.  Everyone take care.  ;)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:27:32 PM »
Good luck with your appointment.  It hurts when you are told you can't do something you love.  When you get the power plate use carefully.  It also takes a bit of time for the muscles to cooperate after you have a baby from the hormones, at least it did for me.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

support