Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: dislocated patella concerns  (Read 1057 times)

Offline 4130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
dislocated patella concerns
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »
Hi to everyone,

Firstly this is my first time in any kind of forum, so excuse if i make any mistakes in posting this!

Hopefully someone will be able to give some advise, here's my situation:

I have just got back from seeing the consultant today and recieving the results of an MRI scan. The doctor said that i had dislocated my patella, and that this was demonstrated by two cloudy areas, one on the side of the patella, and the other on the side of the femur(?) where they had collided.

This injury happened about 6 weeks ago now. I went to A&E and was kept in hospital for a few days, but they couldn't diagnose anything as the patella must have popped back in without me even realising it had come out. I have been waiting for the MRI scan since and the results which as mentioned i recieved today. I have now been doing some research on dislocated knees and everywhere says that I should have used ice and that it should have been splinted, which it wasn't. Will this have any effect on recovery? I am now having to wait a further 2 weeks for physio (so by the time i have physio it will have been 8 weeks). Is there anything I can do in the meantime or anything i shouldn't be doing that will aid recovery? I have been given very little advise by anyone i have seen and I am concerned that i may be doing harm/or not enough in a crucial stage of recovery.

My knee was getting slowly better until last week where for no obvious reason it swelled up pretty big again and movement became very difficult. I have been back on my bike riding for the last 3-4 weeks, doing approx 12 miles for 3 - 4 days a week, is this a good or a bad thing?

Also what can i expect in terms of recovery times? as again my consultant would over me no explaination.

Sorry for rambling, but i feel it is important for you to see the whole picture. :)

I'm 27 and an active cyclist, racing bikes and also surfing.

Really hope someone can help/advise.

Many Thanks,
Tom.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: dislocated patella concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:20:55 AM »
Hi there,

First of all, welcome to the board. You've definitely come to the right place.

Icing is definitely a must, but they don't always splint legs after a knee dislocation. They certainly didn't in my case.

Cycling is definitely a good thing, but would probably stop until you start physio.

The aim of physio will be to strengthen the muscles around your knee, particularly the VMO.

I am surprised your consultant hasn't given you more info. That sucks. My OS is great and tells me everything I need to know. In between my OS appointments my sports physician is fantastic.

Unfortunately I am a veteran of patella instability. Just had a trochleoplasty on my left knee. So good so far.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Good luck !!! Just make sure to keep icing your knee.  :D

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline 4130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info... appreciate it :) got a bag of peas on my knee as i write this...

Also payed to see a physio so got some excercises to do know too...

Thanks again,

Tom.

Offline missxr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »
]hi sorry
 i'm new to this i have just been told i have to have a trochleoplasty just before christmas, not really sure what it entails. I have had 2 lateral releases as the first one went wrong, but they have now found out i have a hump where the groove should be. Any info would be very grateful thankyou

support