Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain near VMO  (Read 2069 times)

Offline wleemitch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain near VMO
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:01 AM »
Hi everyone. On the 25th of July I started having some pain in the area on the inside of my leg where the top of the knee meets the VMO ( least, I think that's the best way to describe it ). I ran through it, thinking it wasn't really anything. Later than night it was swollen and really bothered me.  There was no initial incident, just started hurting. I took five days off, and started running again. Same thing, didn't hurt much until later after the workout. This time, much worse. That time around though, I stayed off it for about two weeks, treated it with ice, ultrasound and electrical stim. There is no pain when I walk, unless I go up/down inclines/declines, which is very minimal pain. And I can't run for more than 11-12 mins before it flares up again. I notice some pain at the top of the knee where the VMO meets, but most of the pain is in the VMO itself. I also notice a small bulge( its not visible but I can feel it ) about an inch or two above where the VMO runs into the knee area. It doesn't hurt when I press on it, but it does feel irregular when I feel around in the same area on my other leg. The last time I ran was for twenty minutes which was two days ago feeling almost no pain .I'd like to try again, but I'm a little worried about doing so, especially about that bulge. Was just wondering if I may have damaged something permanently ???...

Thanks in advance,
Billy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:53:30 AM by wleemitch »

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Pain near VMO
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:44:45 AM »
prepatellar bursitis?
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline wleemitch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
I don't think there is any bursitis. The bulge is small and mainly in the area where there is more muscle. Then again, I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff so I really am not sure.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:09:10 PM »
It might just be an effusion.  Above the kneecap is the easiest place for fluid to go.  Is that possible?  Or is it more of a knot in the muscle than just swelling?

Prepatellar bursitis gives you a swollen area directly on top of the patella itself.  It usually results from a direct fall on the knee.

~dig

Offline wleemitch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:23:51 AM »
It doesn't feel really soft or anything, like something swollen. It does feel more like a knot, now that you bring that up.

Offline wleemitch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
Wouldn't a knot of this magnitude hurt or give a pulling sensation when I run on it though, cause this one does not seem to do so. I was also told that it may be a muscle adhesion or scar tissue. What can I do about that?'

By the way I have run at least 20 minutes the last two days with almost no pain. I don't want to say the spot feels good, cause it doesn't.  It's not really pain I'm feeling there, but it just does not feel right.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:39:10 AM by wleemitch »