Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee problem (Popliteal cyst)  (Read 1077 times)

Offline rajiray

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee problem (Popliteal cyst)
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
Dear all,

I am new to this forum, and glad to be here asking people with similar experience.

This was with me 2 years now, I finally have my MR report on my left knee, mentioned that there is a small popliteal cyst. No other significant problem.

2 Years before, I play soccer and maintain biking alot. My left knee do have a some popping sound like delocated the join sometime. My knee was hit on the rock once during my maintain biking.

After my last soccer match 2 year ago, my left knee joint feel pain and not able to squat. I just thought this is kind of muscle pain or minor injury after exercise and didn't pay attention on that.

Now, my knee not feeling pain at all, but still not able to squat and stand too long, nor doing any kind of exercise and twisting. There a alot popping noise on my knee even I just lying down.

Any one could tell me if popliteal cyst is the root cause of the popping noise and strenghtness of my knee? When I massage my leg muscle, I could feel that the knee is lack of lubrication like opening an old door.  The report mentioned that there is no other kind of significant problem on my knee.

Thanks you all

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Knee problem (Popliteal cyst)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:16:41 AM »
Any one could tell me if popliteal cyst is the root cause of the popping noise and strenghtness of my knee?

rajiray ~ A popliteal cyst is perhaps better known as a Baker's cyst & is caused by inflammation to the knee - either from an injury or even arthritis. It's joint (synovial) fluid that moves to the back of the knee & fills the area causing stiffness & discomfort.

The cyst may have formed two years ago at the time of your injury & has gotten smaller since then but remains. Most times the cyst doesn't interfere with movement but will fill when there's inflammation in the knee. So I would say it's not the root cause but rather the end result of the injury or insult to your knee. If a Baker's cyst becomes a real problem it can be surgically removed...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.