Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR with multiple dislocations  (Read 995 times)

Offline krampa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR with multiple dislocations
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »
Hello,

I had a TKR on my left knee in November. All went smoothly, easy recovery, great improvement.
I had a TKR on my right knee in January. I was dropped by a nurse who didn't use a gait belt when they had me stand 3hours after surgery. My legs folded under me at the knees. I experienced extreme swelling and bloody discharge from my incision. The recovery was rough and much more painful than the first.

By May I had experienced two knee disloctions in this same knee. The first was manipulated back in place under anehtesia. The second resulted in a knee reduction that involved placing a thicker spacer and tightening of the ligaments around the patellar capsule. This was followed with 6 weeks of a full leg brace and PT.

2 days ago I again experienced a knee dislocation in the same knee. This time it dislocated to the back as opposed to the front the other two times.

My doc wanted to do a total revision and I declined. He was able to once again manipulate it into place under anetehesia.

My question is what advice does anyone have with experiences close to this, how does a total knee revision compare in pain and recovery to the original knee replacement? How much less ROM can I expect?

Thanks.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
Re: TKR with multiple dislocations
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »
oh krampa, i am so sorry, i don't have an answer for you, but i am so sorry this all happened to you. all i can tell you is what i've read, revision is much worse than the first time around. whatever you do, even if you love your doctor, get a second opinion.

Offline bella287

• Regular Poster
  • Grandchildren heal me :)
Re: TKR with multiple dislocations
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:55 AM »
hi.
iad tkr in jan 07  a mua in april for loss of rom, i went to a new dr my patalla was to big my prothesis was loose and i had a lot of scar tissue. so far my recovery from revision has been very good. thanks to my new dr. i dont know what kind of insurence you have but since it was pt,s fault it absolutly should cost you nothing good luck   bella
11/06 meniscus repair, microfracture, 3/7/07 medial femoral chrondyle carticle implant. 8/27/07 arthroscope dedride overgrowth, 1/14/08 T.K.R., Current R.O.M. extension 9, flexion 90 5/5/08 M.u.a. 8/20/08 tkr revision, loose implant,patalla to large and heavy scar tissue removed

support