Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help What should i do ???  (Read 804 times)

Offline jags

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help What should i do ???
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »
Hi please can any one advise, ive just got back my MRI results and the O practitioner has diagnosed me with the following :-

1) Degenerate ACL
2) Early Chondromalacia Patellae
3) Mild Meniscal Degeneration

Iv tried Physio hasnt helped,

Im 34 years old, and have always been very sporty. But now i cant run, or walk for long periods. But i still go gym and do light training. Cant sleep well. And have constant pain.

Can anyone advise what i can take  to ease the pain ?? Also is surgery the only option ? How safe is it ?

Thanks

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Help What should i do ???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »
jags, I have to wonder how long ago the problems started & if they were the result of an injury. If it's recent perhaps you haven't given your knee time to settle down. Are you icing etc?

Since it sounds as though you're not in the US as I am, I don't know what NSAIDs are available but certainly your doctor should be advising you about the course of action you should take.

I find the word 'degenerating' rather confusing. Does that imply that your knee is simply breaking down from wear & tear rather than from injury? The ACL is not going to improve on its own. But you don't mention any instability because of it. The meniscus can certainly be trimmed up or repaired surgically if you're a candidate for that. I guess I'm just not understanding exactly what's causing your pain. Can you elaborate?...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Help What should i do ???
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »
Can anyone advise what i can take  to ease the pain ?? Also is surgery the only option ? How safe is it ?

Probably fixing the problem would be a better idea than taking something. Pain killers and anti-inflammatories effect people differently so you need to just find what works for you. Ask your doctor.

Surgery is very safe. Whether it will help you is something you need to ask your doctor. When all else fails sometimes it's the only option unless you want to continue feeling the way you feel. Getting a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon is always a good idea. Don't know if that's possible in the UK or not.

support