Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: surgery on both knee's at the same time?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline l29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
surgery on both knee's at the same time?
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
I was just wondering how safe it is to have arthroscopic surgery on both knee's at the same time? any one ever had that done? I have had 3 surgeries on the left knee now I have a cyclops lesion and a cyst by the tibia (where the screw was inserted) which is leaking fluid and I also have torn cartilage. the right knee I have torn the acl and have torn cartilage os wants to scope both at the same time.  anyones opinion is welcome
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:35:25 AM by l29 »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: surgery on both knee's at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
Lots of people have done it. Some have even had both knees replaced at once. Personally, I would never do it because for me, it's just way too difficult to get around with one bad leg, let alone two. Since you've had surgery, think about the things that were difficult and try to imagine how hard it would be with two bad legs.

I think it's relatively safe. Mainly you're under anesthesia longer, you lose more blood, etc.

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
I recently had a revision acl reconstruction, with the graft harvested from the 'good' leg, so had both legs operated on, and found this much harder than just the one leg being involved. much more pain, MUCH harder to get around. just generally harder. not the same thing as you are talking about, and wouldnt really know about the safety of what you are considering, but just wanted to say something about the difficulties i found of having both legs operated on.

hope you get it sorted out though  :)
11/10/07 ACLr-hamstring, lat meniscectomy, microfracture
29/7/08 ACL revision-hamstring/LARS
7/7/09 ACL revision-quad/LARS
20/2/10 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
6/7/10 ACL revision-BPTB allograft
14/3/11 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
Then: ACL revision + extra-articular repair

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
I had the choice to have both my knees done at the same time but the Doc recommened that we pput a bit of time between the 2. I had a Lateral Release done on each of the them about 1 month apart.
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
I had both of my knees scoped last July.  Thankfully not much was done on the right leg because the OS did a lateral release on the left.  It is much more difficult to get around etc. since there is really no "good" leg.  I am having more extensive surgery next year that includes a TTT.  My hubby asked if I would do both and told him no way, I need some leg to stand on.  If it's just scopes though, you may be ok.  Weigh the decision carefully.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »
I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Bad enough having one knee done.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
i had arthroscopy on both knees simultaneously. it was more difficult than doing one knee--my previous experience--but more time effective. i think i was on crutches for about a wk to 10 days. the leg with the lateral release caused me the most difficulty. i wouldn't try a double TKR, but i think an arthroscopy is doable.

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Never grow up :)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
I had arthroscopy (to remove scar tissue) for both knees at the same time in 2004. I didn't know this was going to happen, but woke up with both legs in bandages. Not much option there...weigh the decision carefully and discuss any possible downsides with the medical parties involved.

This all of course depends on the person and the procedure taking place. For me, it was a LOT more difficult to get around with TWO bad legs, going to the bathroom was a total nightmare and I cried every time I had to go (that was when we digged up my late granny's old portable toilet seat) and wished it would all be over...

Although I was on my feet faster than ever after operation, 3 months after I was back in pain and the downhill that has not stopped by this day, started. I still believe the doc did not perform the surgery well enough, but rushed it. But, this was how things went in my case. For me scope for both legs at once was not the right thing in the long run.

There's a lot of mixed opinions about multiple surgeris. Some docs say it's actually better this way, as you might regain ur balance faster, when there is no good legs to choose from and both legs are equally burdened. This is all up to the person and the case, of course. Weigh your decision carefully.

If you DO decided to proceed with the multiple surgery:

DO ask list of benefits of multiple surgery from ur doc, weigh the pros and cons
DO include discussion about the option of doing the legs separately as well to have options
DO be aware there might be more pain after the surgery (depends how big is the procedure)
DO expect ur recovery to be longer (depends on the procedure and the amount of it)
DO make sure you have easy access to the bathroom (or get a portable toilet seat), cuz getting around with two bad legs is much slower and taking or personal hygiene therefore trickier

DON'T let anyone put pressure on you, but make the decision urself and what you feel is best.
And most of all, DON'T take all horror stories you hear to heart, it IS possible to have succesful recovery with multiple surgeries :) Just make sure you think it through and feel in ur guts the decision u make is right for u  :)

Good luck and keep us posted on how things proceed!

Chris
*~
31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*