Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pregnancy  (Read 932 times)

Offline chondr1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pregnancy
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
Hello All
This is my first time posting on this forum and I guess I am looking for similar experiences.  My knee issues surfaced about 6 months ago with pain and "giving way" of my right knee.  I sought attention right away and my MRI showed a lateral cartilage defect about 2 mm big and softening of the underside of the patella.  I did PT for about 3 months and I continue to do excercises, the elliptical trainer and swimming.  I have good days and not so good days, never bad pain, but definitely aching.  Wearing the  neoprene sleeve when I am walking around town helps.

So my question is this.  I had really wanted to have another baby.  Is that ludicrous?  I would hate to do further damage to my knee, but I really wanted this.   

D

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
Keep the weight under control and keep yourself fit.
I am sure one knee can't stop you having a baby.
I had severe knee problems before and during my first pregnancy, so in end I had to use crutches. But everything went fine and I got back to the usual me.
Good luck !!
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline chondr1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »
Thanks

I really want to go for it.  My weight is very good, I have a lot of help (I already have 2 boys) and I think I would seriously regret allowing my knee issues to essentially change the course of my life.  I am glad I found this website.

C

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:29:57 AM »
Dear C
I am very interested in your post as I was also considering a pregnancy when I re-injured my knee in March. I thought it would be a quick scope to fix some tear but instead here I am 6 months later with no clear diagnosis (saw 4 docs with differing opinions) and the clock tick tocking away. The boyfriend thinks I should get the knee issue resolved first because he says how can I carry a baby?
But enough about me, this is about YOU. I guess I am saying please don't make my mistake. Arthritis and Chondro if they do eventually require a surgical option (after probably at least 6 months or more of PT) could take a long time to heal. So perhaps some of it depends on your family's timing needs. Don't let the knee monster win.
Do they know why you developed OA/chondro? Do you have a tracking issue that could be aided by orthotics or a brace, or were some activities agravating it? This might be important as it could help you feel better faster.
Also, although pregnancy could certainly put a strain on the knees with the extra lbs., there could be positive changes in your body which might stimulate overall healing, who knows?
Just some thoughts. Really wish the best for you and please keep us informed or feel free to PM me.
Warm wishes
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

support