Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Not Too Sure What My Knee Pain Could be.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline kt100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Not Too Sure What My Knee Pain Could be.
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »
I went to my GP recently complaining of pain in my left knee that I had been having for 2 years on and off and a new similar pain that had started in my right knee.  After bending and straightening them he said that there seemed to be stability but sent me to have some x-rays done anyway because they were a little tender.  However, the report of the x-rays said that there were no gross abnormalities.  The pain is located on the outsides of my tendons and also on the top of my right tendon.  Sometimes they swell a little and throb.  The pain tends to come on whilst sitting, kneeling and sometimes whilst walking.   I was surprised about the x-rays considering my kneecaps are noticably a lot higher than they should be.  Does anyone know what the pain could be and what I should about it. I am only 20 years old.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:51:43 PM by kt100 »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Not Too Sure What My Knee Pain Could be.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
Hi there,

When I started get pain in my knees I went to my GP and he sent me to see a PT (Physio) they normally the 1st step and they will decide what the next option is I had a few PT sessions and was then sent for a MRI scan at the Hospital. I had the results and have problems with my fat pad and waiting for treatments ultra sound or injection to see if it helps.

The PT will know straight away if you need to see a OS (Orthopaedic Surgeon) or need to have a MRI scan 1st. The last option they do is a scope unless its needed straight away key hole surgery but best to see a PT 1st for a assesment.

Good Luck, Nick :) {2008} :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:56:18 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline chondr1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
Hi

I would think that if you are having pain after two years, you need to go further than an x-ray which would not be particularly sensitive for the evaluation of soft tissue inflammation.  You should probably have your GP refer you to a sports medicine physician for a further work up which would most likely include an MRI. For what it's worth, I have some tendinosis (not tendinitis) in one knee which is basically swelling of the tendon usually following an injury.  Not sure if this is applicable to you but you definitely need further work up.

Good Luck!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
Have your GP refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. X-rays are pretty much useless for seeing most of the things that happen in knees. An OS will evaluate your knee further. GPs just aren't that great at doing that sort of thing.

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
If I recall correctly, the best way for x-rays to be done is in a position known as the Merchant View where the knees are x-rayed in a bent postion: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEsurgeon/index.php?itemid=102
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 12:15:07 AM »
reiterating what jathib said, xrays are pretty much useless for telling what's happening inside your knee. find yourself a good OS.

support