Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: L. Patellar Tendon Rupture during soccer game on Aug 6/08 - surgery 2 days later  (Read 4608 times)

Offline TURFSUX

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone, I have been reading many of the posts with a lot of interest. I ruptured my left patellar tendon on Aug 6/08 playing soccer on a turf field....hence the screenname TURFSUX. I am 2 weeks post op. I am in a temporary cast (plastic mold with metal rods and velcro tensioners)

I have numbness on the left side of my repaired knee...is this normal??? I have occasional sharp pains when sleeping or moving on crutches but overall there is little discomfort.

My question to all of you is ...when can I anticipate walking without the crutches? My job requires me to be on my feet for 60-70% of the day. I have taken a month off work which will get me to 6 weeks post op.

Am I kidding myself thinking that I might be on my feet by this point???

Any comments would be appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:02:23 AM by TURFSUX »

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
Hey Turf (great name)
Though we've had very diffierent knee injuries, I see you've mentioned you are in an immobilizer. How long do you expect to have to wear it and when are you beginning physio? I suspect the pains you've mentioned are all within normal range and the numbness is normal too. It seems all of us who've had knee surgery experience at least some numbness and it does seem to improve with time, for the most part. I can't really comment on how long it will take for you to be able to get back to work, I supoose that depends in part on how well you are able to restore range of motion and strength once the immobilizer is off.

I hope you've had a great weekend and that you were able to sleep well!

Let us know how you are progressing,
Best Wishes,
Candace
Who knew knees were so complicated!

Offline nbamforth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
hi there mate

my name is nick and i am from the uk.i ruptured my left patellar tendon whilst at work after rugby tackling someone.this happened on 14th september 2007.
first of all can i just say that you would have been better off breaking both your legs then experiencing our injury.
if you are going to get back to the ways things were you need to do the following things

stay focused on each day at a time.do not think about how wonderful things were as this will put you on a real downer.it is all about time and your injury takes a long time to heal.you need to become an expert on your knee and how it works and exactly what has happened in the knee joint when you ruptured your tendon.you can do this by going onto google and searching under ruptured patellar tendon.
your left side of the knee like mine will be totally numb.this is quite normal mate as when the surgeon opened up your knee he/she had to cut through all the nerve endings to that area.

i am afraid to say that you wont be walking properly for at least three to four months,and that is without crutches.the problem with tendon injuries is that they have a very small blood supply so recovery in that area is very slow.be very cautions of over doing it in the early stages because there is a risk of re injury  over the first six months.the tendon will be repaired in six months but the leg it self to get back to the way it was will take 18 months and thats no bull s**t.

a couple of things that helped me were these

get a leg shower protector so you can shower daily.you need to shower daily and keep clean it will lift your spirits and prevent fungal infection.hopefully you will have a supporting family structure.use them and talk to them.let them be your councillors and spend time with them.i got to know my wife when i got injured and  my kids and we now have a special bond.

if you are wearing a pot for the next six weeks your quads will shrink so the pot will move around alot.try and do some basic quad flexs inside your pot.this will keep your leg muscles active.when you sleep put a pillow between your legs so that you can sleep on your side.if not it bloody hurts with your pot rubbing against your other leg.
buy yourself a piss bottle that you can piss into in the middle of the night.it saves you getting up and all the hassle of that operation.plus it reduces the risk of re-injury during the night when you are half asleep.

stay off the alcohol you dont want to turn into an alcoholic to add to your problems.plus that will put tonnes of weighton.try and exercise your upper body this will help with staying strong and make it easier with using the crutches and pulling yourself around.

be prepared for the next twelve months as they are the hardest thing you will probably have experienced.just dont be too hard on yourself and stay positive.try not to think about how great and strong your lef leg used to be.put things into perspective.you now know how a disabled person feels on a day to day basis.

write everything down in a diary so that when things seem to not be changing you can look back at two or three weeks ago and see for yourself that you have made progress.

make sure you suss out your physio and do everything they plan for you.
when you have your first assessment take your diary with you and write all the exercises down and ask her/him if they have ever deaqlt with your type of injury before.

i will give you a flavour of what things i can now do bearing in mind that it is now two days away from a full year when i had my accident.

i struggle lowering my self down the stairs going down on my left leg..going upstairs is ok.i can jog for twenty minutes with a good stretch and warm up before hand.i cant do weighted leg extensions in the gym.i cannot kneel on my left knee at all as the pain is unbarrable.this i believe will always be like this.i can do star jumps and stand on one leg for 5 mins.i can sprint on the running machine for 1 minute.i can drive but having my leg bent for twenty to thirty minutes causes it to ache.
one really good bit of advise is buying a bag of peas and wrapping a towel around it for twenty to thirty minutes.

whilst i think on your knee,shin and left foot will have a crazy amount of fluid over it.this is normal so dont worry too much.when you start walking the pads on your feet act like a pump to pump the fluid back up your body into your lymphatic system.even now if i have done too much and been on my feet for too long i still experience swelling in this area.
you will have a new respect for all those old birds that have swolen ankles,you will never take the piss again,ha,ha.

so that is it mate i have gone on long enough and wish you all the luck in the world.welcome to the club so to speak and i hope i havent upset you too much with my honesty.i wish someone had written to me when i had my injury and answered a hundred of my questions.
if you need any advise or just need a bit of spiritual guidance do not hesitate to email me at [email protected] and i will try to help you.

all the best
regards
nick.

Offline TURFSUX

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Nick, I appreciate the reply and I really appreciate your honesty. No point in spreading bs when we all know that doesn't help anybody...

At this point in my recovery ~ 5 weeks post-op, I have bagan physio (isometric stretchin only) and will begin to bend my knee in a week.
I have stayed positive and out of the dumps b/c of my wife and young daughter and my parents. For others reading this post and dealing with the monotony of being at home all day, I tried to move to other locations whenever I get bored sitting around the house. I went to my parent's house, sister's house and had friends visit...anything to change the scenery.

This injury has been really tough and I can honestly say that I have not even considered the possibility of returning to sports yet. My first priority is getting back to work as soon as possible. I have not started dealing with the possibility that I may never play soccer again after it being a part of my life for over 30 years. I will cross that bridge when I get to it mentally.

Great advice on the physio. I am fortunate to have found a good one that I trust. He is taking it slowly with returning to weight bearing knee and bending exercises.

Thanks for the support and I wish you well in your continued recovery.

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
I know it seems like a long road, but you will get there. You sound like a determined type who won't settle for good enough. I wish you well.

candace

Offline TURFSUX

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for the support Candace.

I am now starting to take small steps in the immobilizer without the aid of crutches.
I am 5 weeks post op so I think this is a good step. The strength of the knee is
still very weak but I feel like I can put some weight on the injured leg.

Knee bends next week! I will see what my range of motion is like...

Take care.

Offline Fitzy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I also was playing football (woman aged 51) and ruptured left patellar tendon.  Operated on 1 week after injury, in full cast for 6 weeks, now completing second 6 weeks in cast and brace opened to 90 degrees (hardly feel like I am moving knee at all).  Been off work since 28 June 2008 and cannot foresee me going back until end of October at least.  Need physio and confidence to get behind wheel and drive to work.  I also have left side numbness as well so maybe this is normal.

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
Hey Turf, I was away for a bit and now that I am back, I see there haven't been any updates from you lately. I am wondering how you are doing. It was sounding a little bit positive, at least the last post. How are you getting around now? What did you find out about the range of motion??? Details... I want the details :D

Take care,
Candace

Offline TURFSUX

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Candace,

I am now back at work. It took nearly 2 months post op to get to a point where the knee was strong enough to withstand some weight bearing. I am no longer using crutches, a cane or a leg brace ! I still take it easy going down stairs but otherwise things are okay...

The knee and deteriorated quad are still a long ways away from beign strong enough for physical activity. My concern was getting back to work.

For those looking for a timeline...expect 8-9 weeks post op before you can walk.

My physio is still taking it easy with exercises for the injured leg.

I wish all of you well. This site was incredibly helpful.

Thank-you !!!!

Taj R
Vancouver, BC
Canada

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
Good news Taj! very happy to hear you are recovering well and feeling positive!

Cheers,
Candace

Vancouver Island