Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Injections  (Read 2430 times)

Stacey

Knee Injections
« on: August 08, 2003, 08:38:51 AM »
Hi all

There is a possibility that I may be having synvisc injections in january.  My question is that I had a reaction to a cortisone shot (for tendonitis in my knee) does this have anything to do with synvisc (like is there a possibility that this will also react).  Has anyone got relief out of these even if they dont have arthritis?  How long do they genrally last?  Thank you all

Stacey

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Knee Injections
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 01:26:47 AM »
Hi Stacy

I just had my 1st synvisc injection 2 days ago and my OS told me not to expect any changes until at least the 2nd injection. How did you react to the cortisone shot? Cortisone shots are a steroid and sometimes mixed with a numbing med.  I was told the synvisc is about the consistancy of baby oil. I was told I could get sore which I have but nothing intolerable, I mostly had an uncomfortable pressure under the patella. I did swell at the injection site the size of a walnut and bumped it there to make it worse.  I didn't feel too much pain when he did it because I'm already numb from past surgeries. He said if I got red and inflammed then he needed to know but he has never seen that reaction yet. This product is an avion product so the literature says if allergic to bird products such as eggs, feathers ,etc. to let DR know. I think everyone is different in how they are helped, some aren't helped at all.In my situation this is a last conservative measure before I need more surgery.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Knee Injections
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 06:51:42 AM »
Hi Stacey,

I've had botjh types of injections and they are not the same in any way.  syn Visc is actually a prosthetic for the fluid that should be in your knee.  It is made from rooster combs--and you will be asked if you have allergies to chicken or eggs.  They are a series of three injections given a week apart.  I personally had a lot less grief with these than I had with cortisone injections.

I had some relief--but I lost it not long after I broke my foot and began overusing one knee and accomodating with the other.  I know of one person who has indefinitely put off a tkr because of the help of synvisc--and I know somebody else it didn't help at all.  i think you are supposed to get a minimum of 6 months relief from them...maybe more.

i hope that helped...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support