Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Glucosamine  (Read 3521 times)

Stacey

Glucosamine
« on: August 08, 2003, 08:25:50 AM »
Has anyone had good results when using glucosamine for pain and not for arthritis?  I am supposed to try it for a few months before going on to something else.

Stacey

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 12:51:48 AM »
I use it, but the thing that really seemed to kick the last twinges of pain was SAM-e (in combination with glucosamine.)

Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 10:33:14 PM »
Hi Stacey - I tried to use condroytin/glucosamine in an effort to help stop the chronic cartilidge erosion I have.  For some reason, both times I tried to use it, within about 2 weeks I found myself to be PMSing and then into a full-blown menstrual cycle.  Again, this happened both times I took the stuff.  I took the Medrol dosepak before too (for poison ivy) and ended up having the same thing happen.

I'm not sure what the deal was with the glucosamine/condroytin but I just can't take the stuff.  I've mentioned this to several doctors who think I'm insane but one of the doctors I told mentioned to me that another patient had told him the same thing.  And as soon as I stopped taking it, within about 2-3 days, I was back to normal.

Let me know if you have any problems taking it.  I'm really interested to know why this happened to me or if other people are experiencing it too.

Thanks.

Kim
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline anand_s

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • andy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:11:52 AM »
I am 9 weeks post right knee surgery (ACL/meniscus tear)and my doc did not recommend glucosamine.  I anyway went ahead and tried it for the last 3 weeks and was having no pain.  I skipped it this weekend and the knee pain is back (bearable but there every evening).  So I guess I will go back to it this evening.
I have no after effects and use the liquid form mixed with iced tea/some canned juice.   Tried the tablet form and that made me a bit nauseous...but I was on some Davocet painkiller at that time.
ACL reconstruction/Meniscus tear on right knee.

support