Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture question  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture question
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:13 PM »
Hi
If you've had a microfracture in the past, how long do you expect it to last (or how long has it lasted for)?

May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Microfracture question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »
Are you having problems with yours ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline mokeymiddle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »
I'm curious about this as well...
I've heard 2-5 years... I've heard more and less time also.
At the tender age of 34, headache and I have a lot invested in this lasting longer rather than shorter!

Any insight into this?

-mm

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:48 AM »
Hiya

Along with MokeyMiddle (same age) we've both had this op in May this year so it is still healing. I guess we both have a vested interest in this procedure working as long as possible.

I have read snippets of it lasting 2 to 5 years but I'd like to hear from someone who's had it done and how they feel about :
        how it all went
        whether it was worth it
        what hapens once it wears out - do they repeat the surgery?
 :) D

Offline over it

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »
Had my first microfracture done on my right knee over a year ago.  It was well worth it!  I am very pleased with the results.  Had 2 more microfracture done this past June on the left knee.  Had more complications than on the previous knee.  I have no pain while walking on my right knee, but sports are out of the question since it is too painful.  I can still ride my bike but only on flat, paved surfaces and swimming is okay depending on the stroke.  I am still early on for my left knee to make a decision whether it was worth it.  I still have pain and a limp while walking.  I am optimistic that it will get better.  Unfortumately, I have had to lower my expectations as to my level of activity. It could be worse. I work in the health care arena and see people struggling with life threatening problems and it keeps me centered.   My knee problems are small in comparison.  I can't play sports any longer, but I have my life with family and friends. 

Offline mokeymiddle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:12:41 AM »
Headache... here's some good news for us both! I was talking to a former co-worker a few days ago. He said that he had a microfracture done well over 10 years ago (he said they didn't even call it "microfracture" back then). At the time he had it done they said they hoped he would be able to hold out for 2 or 3 years before he had to have a knee replacement. Good news is he's still going strong. He says he doesn't really run anymore, plays racquetball but not tennis, walks, hikes, bikes, swims... pretty much everything he want to do and without any pain or swelling.
Hooray!! There's hope for my knee to last well into my 40's!!!
-mm

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »
Hiya MM

Into my 40's? That sounds good enough for me. I know you had complications with DVT but how are you getting on now? Are you still in any discomfort or having difficulties with anything, or are you flying about with caution? I get hardly any pain (tennis elbow is and always has been the most painful) but I know about it if I make any kind of twisting movement (unintentional of course) or do a wall slide, and it is still slightly tender to the touch above the kneecap.

D
x

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:13 AM »
I've heard that microfracture last one to three years.  Mine lasted about 1 1/2 years but I know someone who had microfracture and it has lasted a long time for them...I can't remember the exact number of years, but it is well beyond the expected one to three years.  My own personal opinion (and it is nothing but that) is that the more you do on it activity wise, the quicker it will wear out.  good luck in your recovery. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline mokeymiddle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
I'm still pretty tender... I'm walking on my own short distances around the house, using crutches at work and anytime out of the house still. Every morning I feel fine but as the day wears on my knee gets increasingly painful to the point of really not being able to do much at all by the end of the day. I was only cleared for weight bearing at all at the beginning of this month so it's still pretty new to me. I'm definitely tender to pressure near the site of the MF... and swelling intermittently.
You're dead on about any twisting... just silly things like pivoting a bit to grab a coffee mug or whatever and I'm painfully aware of my knee again!!
 I'm trying hard to stay really positive about this whole thing. If it didn't work I don't really know what my options are!!
I sure was relieved to talk to my friend the other day though...
he said that it was 8 months or a year before he felt back to "normal" after his surgery...
I see my OS again 9/9... we'll see what he says.
-mm