Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

Can't decide which car would be most suitable

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 29, 2008, 10:12:47 AM

Author Topic: What car is most suitable  (Read 1074 times)

Offline HTL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What car is most suitable
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »
I have recently undergone bilateral arthroscopy on my knees. The left one is reasonable but the right one after 3 surgeries is pretty bad. I have stage 3 arthritis in the joint and the next step is PKR. I am trying to put this off as long as possible.

Yesterday I made a 300 mile drive and through most of it the pain was pretty intense. I live in the UK and drive a Ford Focus and I think the accelerator foot position in this car is bad for me. I am thinking I may need to consider changing my car and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which car may be suitable in a similar price range to the Focus.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: What car is most suitable
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
The easiest would be to get to car dealers and try out different kind of cars. Noone here can really tell what's best for you as noone know how tall you are etc.
Good luck !!
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline itsbeenayear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Ruptured Patella Tendon September 2007
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
Hi HTL

Have you thought about getting your car adapted so you do not have to use the pedals at all ? This is something I am looking into at the moment - Ford have a fantastic service where they can adapt cars. If you are claiming disability allowance there is also the Motability scheme you can look into. Your local Ford dealer should be able to give you all the information you need - the forms are daunting, still working on them myself - but if you dont try you dont get. The easiest cars to adapt are automatics - so I believe.

Good luck
Its Been A Year

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
I use both legs to drive. I know you're not supposed to, but my legs can't handle more than half the work. I use the right for the gas pedal and the left for the brake. The other thing I'd mention is drive a car with a solid body. Living with TKR has made me fearful of head on collisions. I've had two in the past before the TKR and both times my knees were pushed into the dashboard. If it should happen again I'll be a cripple. Some cars don't have much of a front end. I know it's a matter of money but it's also a matter of safety, so buy the safest car you can afford.

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
I have bad arthritis in both my knees and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the 2000 Tahoe that my grandfater gave me. I have LOTS of leg room in there and I can adjust the seat so that i sit higher or lower. Granted on long drives it still bothers me quite a bit. I just made a 2 1/2 hour drive hauling my horse trailer to get my new horse and it was better than i expected. I had my Lateral Release done on my right knee 3 months ago. now i drive my little car to and from work everyday and god even a 30 minute drive kills me in that car
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
Hi I drive a renault scenic - which is lovely for getting in and out of as the seat is bottom height when i am standing so no prob getting in and out - my biggest car problem is not being able to open the door wide enough to get out in some spaces !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »
I have a 2006 Nissan Murano that has been fantastic.  I have had 4 surgeries in 10 months (2 major 2 minor).  With it being a little higher it is really easy to get in and out...there is planty of leg room...power seats are a MUST in any car (IMO)
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

brianne

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
I have a Toyota Corolla and if it were not for the 42 Miles per Gallon I get on the highway with the car I would have hated it after my knee surgeries.

However my parents both drive small SUV's and they were both very easy to get in and out of with plenty of leg room and such.  My dad has a Honda CRV and my mom has a Jeep Compass.  I think cars that are a little bigger and a little higher off the ground are better after knee surgery.

On the other hand, now that my knees are back to normal I absolutely love my Toyota Corolla.

Brianne

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
I drive a Seat Ibiza - the seat is highly adjustable and with being only 5 foot nothing tall this is a great help without having knee problems. I detest public transport (bus drivers like to fly off before you sit down) but I share the car with shift working hubby so often have to suffer a bus.
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)