Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Emma08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long?
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
Hello, five weeks ago I dislocated my knee cap and torn a ligament, climbing a wall on an assault course. I have had a knee brace on ever since and been using crutches. My MRI scan showed that the knee cap had not gone back into the correct postion due to a badly formed groove (sorry don't know technical names). I had surgery two weeks ago to put the knee cap back in place and repair the ligament, during surgery they discovered that I had also fractured a bone so I had some screws put in which I believe will stay there forever. I have now been told to stay off the knee for a futher 4 weeks (making it 6 weeks post op) and wear the knee brace.

What I am wondering is in 4 weeks time when I have the knee brace taken off and can being to put weight on the knee, how long will it take for me to walk unaided, normally? And roughly how long will I have to have psyhio for?

I am usually very active, and should be starting a new job in 3 weeks so just wondering how long everything will take.

Thanks Emma

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:28:44 PM »
Emma - which bone did you fracture - this makes a difference in weight-bearing.  Ever break, every recovery and every OS is different.  The general timeline for muscles are 5 days recovery for every day you are NWB.  This doesn't mean you won't be able to walk shortly after they give the okay, it means your muscles will be sore, you may limp and get tired easily, and certain things like going up and down stairs will be a problem.
Recovery from a broken bone is a slow process, speeding your recovery by pushing too hard may result in setbacks.  Follow the instructions of your OS and PT and you'll do fine.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS