Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dodgy knee  (Read 577 times)

Offline janaki

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dodgy knee
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Hi, I'm a full time yoga teacher, been teaching 10 years. Practising yoga about 16.  Developed dodgy right knee through pushing myself in astanga - my own fault but still a pain.  Right knee now better.  But left went at weekend.  Felt very insecure.  Felt as if it was buzzing, could almost hear the knee 'squeaking'.  Hurt to put weight on.  Rested with ice pack.  Wearing support bandage intermittently.  Scared of surgery and doctors generally.  Intend just avoiding the exacerbating yoga positions and unable to demonstrate much when teaching for the moment.  Any suggestions?  Fairly fit flexible and healthy 56 year old.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Dodgy knee
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:40:42 AM »
I'd suggest seeing an orthopedic surgeon. Otherwise, don't do anything that causes your knee pain.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Dodgy knee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:19:18 AM »
I'm not really sure what "dodgy" means or what symptoms you're having....or what you were doing that caused them since I don't know yoga terms.  BUT ice and an ACE wrap rarely hurt anyone.  Strengthening the quads while resting the knee (i.e. straight leg raises) can be good.  If you're afraid of doctors, there's no reason not to do what you're doing right now and seeing if gets better.  If it doesn't, then see about the ortho.... 

~dig

support