Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthritis and PT  (Read 9951 times)

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Arthritis and PT
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »
In June (at the 10 month recovery mark) I started to experience some aches and pinching in the front of my knee and on the medial side when I would get up from sitting.  Since I work in an office and go to a lot of meetings, it really wasnít something that interfered with my day to day life.  I work out doing cardio (recumbent bike) and strength training twice a week and do an aqua fitness class at least once a week (sometimes twice).

At my 1 year post injury checkup last week my OS figured that I have some early arthritis and prescribed PT.   

Iím off to see my PT on Thursday and will keep you posted.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Arthritis and PT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:13:48 AM »
PT did a through exam of muscle strength, ROM and flexibility.  I had two therapists watch me walk, climb stairs, go down stairs and get up and down from a sitting position (with and without using the arms of the chair). 
They concluded that my left side (injured side) did not have the same strengh as my right side and this is causing me to be a little knock kneed, forcing more weight to the medial side of my left knee.
Treatment - new exercises to strengthen left hip abductor to correct the medial lean.  Little things like doing a couple of leg extensions before rising from a chair if I've been sitting for awhile.  I will need to be more concious of making sure my knee does not lean in - especially on stairs.

Since there is really no cure, the best we can aim for is to reduce the "wear and tear" to make the joint last as long as possible.  I'm not really in pain, just occasionally discomfort.

I'll be going back to PT once a week for a while to use some special machines they have.  The good news is that my current gym routine is working to maintain quad/hamstring and overall leg strength.  I can also continue with the bike and my aquaerobics class.

I'll keep you posted when anything new happens.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:24:36 PM »
Couple of items have changed since the last time I posted.
My PT recommended a type of shoe to try to reduce the medial pain - It seems that I'm over pronating causing my knee to bend in.  Short story is the new shoes work!!!  I can feel the difference when I walk and have no medial pain even when going down stairs.  I can have some othotics made, but for now the new shoes work great.
The rest of the knee is another story - I was having quite a bit of pain at the joint and the PT said that He had done all he could for now and sent me back to the OS.
OS says that I am having a arthritis flare up and put me on ibuprofen for 3 weeks.  The its back to the OS with more xrays.
In the meantime I have to also my workouts to accomodate knee.  No leg presses, squats and reduce the resistance on the bike.
I'll keep you informed as more happens.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline lar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
Mary can you tell me exactly what kind of shoes the PT prescribed for you that have worked so wonderfully??? Were there any wedges or heel lifts on them? Since you overpronate perhaps they had very hgh arches??
Having similar pain issues as you and would love to know exactly the type of shoes! thanks and FEEL GOOD! :)
Larry

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:13:55 AM »
Larry - My PT didn't specifically recommend a shoe, just showed me what to look for and showed me the wear pattern of my walking shoes. 
Here's a link that explains it http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/pronation.htm.

I went to a Lady Footlocker store and the salesperson was very knowledgeable.  I ended up with a Asics GT 2130.
They make both men's and women's in this style.  It's an Runner's World editor's choice and most reviews I seen are that you either love it or hate it.  http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoefinder_detail/1,7161,s6-240-400-0-0-0-0-0-1293,00.html

Hope it helps
Sending healing rays your way

8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:00:28 AM »
 Just to let you know, after 2 weeks of light workouts and ibuprofen the immflamation was greatly reduced.
Had my OS appointment today.  A new set of standing xrays (and one set with my weight on my "bad leg" with the leg slightly bent).  You can see on the xrays the nice bright line of cartiledge on the medial side of the knee and the fuzzy line on the lateral side.  I have another appointment in 3 months (unless I have a bad flare up).  I get to go back to working out and gradually increase the resistance on the bike and add weights to the leg presses.
My OS is very conservative and although we discussed possible cortisone shots, he doesn't see this happening soon unless there is a sudden change in my knee.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
10/10 - WBAT with cane
2/3/09 - Released by OS

support