Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: walking in water  (Read 1217 times)

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • tkr 12/17/08
walking in water
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
hey everyone
i'm here to sing the praises of walking in water as rehab for TKR. my OS recommended it (along with the stationary bike) but i let it slip because it seemed like a major hassle. about a month ago when i was out of town visiting relatives i tried out a pool and it felt unbelievable good so when i returned home i set up a schedule for myself and now i'm at it every week 3 times a week. the improvement in flexibility and overall well being is tremendous. i wish i'd paid attention months ago and started sooner, but at least i started, and i want to recommend it to anyone out there who hasn't tried it. i'm walking in water and also swimming a little with my arms, putting a float between my legs to keep them elevated. it's a total body workout that blends yoga with swimming and walking. if you haven't done it yet, find yourself a pool and hop in.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: walking in water
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
I've always recommended getting in a pool for therapy and exercise. It's the best exercise going and the best way to burn off lots of calories. Even if you don't know how to swim you can get a good workout by just using your imagination. Unfortunately for me, I've swam so much that I've torn up my shoulders so do take care.

Offline Skinnycatz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • The Best Skinny Cat ever!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:48:27 AM »
I agree...getting in the pool is GREAT and I used to hate the water.  Now I look forward to getting in there with my pool "noodle" under my stomach and using those arms.  I am not able to kick much and I can't get my ear wet so this really works for me.   With such a bad knee, my arms have never looked so good! LOL
I try to get to the pool at least 3 times a week.  The other days I do my upper body/abs circuit weight training.  Sometimes I use the arm bike.  There are ways to stay fit...you just have to be creative!

Francine
Diagnosis: CMP, torn lateral meniscus.
Meniscus trimming, chrondroplasty 2/14/03.
Meniscus trimming (lateral again) chrondoplasty 8/3/07
Grade III/IV Chrondomalacia kneecap
Meniscus trimming (tear in front of lateral) 4/18/08
Left TKR 7/15/10

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
i was doing upper body weights 3 times a week, but dragging myself through the water with my arms is better exercise i think. the other great part about the pool is that it's allowed me to meet other swimmers with joint problems. last wk i met a lady who's about 1 yr ahead of me on the TKR. we shared information, including the fact that we both feel so much better after pool therapy. i didn't mention: i participated in one water aerobics class thinking it would be great exercise and a great way to meet people but i paid for it big time. the bouncing and jumping and running in place was murder on my knee. some people seem to do just fine (like the lady i met at the pool) but i can't handle it. i got really depressed but then i got better--took about a week--, went back to the pool, and just decided to do my own thing. mainly, i walk with my legs as straight as i can get them until it gets too deep and then i pull myself through the water the rest of the way. i'm just excited about how i feel. i haven't felt like myself in SOOO long. first there were a couple of years of downhill slide when i couldn't get through a day without pain pills and then there's been 8 months of hellish recovery from the TKR. i feel like i'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:16:22 AM »
They pool is great for the whole body and also very gentle.
Without the pool I have no idea what kind of phys that I should do.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
I wasn't able to take myself swimming for weeks (due to various reasons) but when I got back in the pool I loved it. I can jog gently in the pool and don't feel pain. I attempted a stroke but could only manage 2 laps before I got discomfort - Doc advised people can sometimes cramp up after MF surgery, and since I was swimming alone I decided to go back to jogging just in case it happened.
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »
Hi there,

I love getting into the hydro pool. Not able to swim yet as per OS's instructions. Hope to be able to swim in about 3 months time. Pilates is my other saviour. Hope to start back in the gym in about a month's time.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:34:17 AM »
hey there
i can't swim either. can you walk in water or is that out too? i get in the water and remember how i used to swim once upon a time. school started for me today and by the end of the day i was in total pain. all my joints hurt, not just my knee. i've started taking glucosamine, but am not sure if it will be able to do anything for me. the celebrex i've been on for the last 8 yrs may have masked some of my joint problems. when i quit taking it suddenly i discovered pain all over my body, although concentrated in my joints. i'm an old lady at 57. who would have thought it? but.....i feel better in the pool. when i get out i almost, underscore the almost, feel young again. for now, i'm clinging to the illusions.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
If you can get to a sports store like Sports Authority in the US, they have all kinds of water floaties to hold you up if you can't swim or if you just want to work a certain part of your body. I work at a university with a pool and they have a whole line of water thingies. I've masted the art of swimming with one arm since I can't use my bad shoulder still. The lifeguard was quite impressed.

Offline itsbeenayear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Ruptured Patella Tendon September 2007
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
Please I found this thread - after a year of being to scared to even go near a pool I am finally taking the plunge so to speak tomorrow. I think its the fear of slipping over and re-injuring myself that has really put me off. I cant wait to see the difference it makes to my leg movements - I will let you know when I get back - decided to go at opening time 7.00am, because hopefully it will not be too busy !!

Its Been A Year

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Hi there,

I can walk in the water and been using some foam noodles to help strengthen my knee. That and pilates are my saviour at the moment. My knee physio doesn't want me doing any walking on land yet as my right knee has been playing up.

Itsbeenayear, definitely give the hydro pool a go. I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't expect it to be perfect the first time.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
I just returned from an hour in the pool and feel great, even though I know it won't last. After teaching two classes and standing most of the day yesterday all of my joints and bones were aching. But I got up early, dragged myself to the pool, and walked and swam for an hour. The water seems to ease the joint pain in my hips, knees, and ankles, and then there's the replaced knee, it's own little problem. It seems to like the water too. Like you jathib I swim at a university pool and there's a closet with all sorts of swim paraphernalia. I'm putting a float between my legs when I swim to immobilize and keep my lower body above water. Works like a charm. i wish we could all get together for swimming--

support