Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: More confussed than ever, nerve pain, or not?  (Read 980 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
More confussed than ever, nerve pain, or not?
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »
I've just come from the neurologist office.  I only thought I was confused prior to going there - I need someone to help me here, please.  The long story short I had surgery Oct 07 - medial and lateral meniscus and huge lateral ganglion cyst.  Fast forward and the leg just isn't "right."  There is an area that is sore or more sore, just depending, slightly discolored sometimes, deep calf pain when walking and occasionally medial pain.  It just doesn't "feel" right and its always tight.  We've done the cortizone shots, etc.  Which is why the neurologist did an emg and nerve conduction study.

On the left leg (which is the one this was preformed on) most of the tests were higher results than normal.  Northing showed any peroneal nerve damage.  Matter of fact that nerve seems to his results slight hyperactive.  So.......he conducted the same tests on the right leg.  Well, nothing.  He worked and worked to even find the nerve - he said he'd never had this before!  Finally he found a very slight reading with it on the outer part of my ankle.  The right leg has no peroneal activity to be found and its the good leg.  The left surgery leg has a hyper peroneal nerve. 

The neurologists did not like where the scar is for the ganglion cyst.  He was concerned that it is directly over the tibial head and on top of the nerve - the worst possible place for a scar.  Its approximately 8 inches long.

Again the neurologist is sending a report to the os - his diagnosis is peroneal neuropathy.  His thought is possible medication that affect neuropathic pain.  I don't know how I feel about that.  I hate hate hate to rely on medication for this.  I'm a pretty tough bird and frankly don't let it slow me up toooooooo much - but deep down this really has to stop. 

So friends, I'm looking for any idea's, insights, thoughts on this.  I had none of this prior to surgery. 

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: More confussed than ever, nerve pain, or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 02:41:32 AM »
Since he thought your peroneal nerve was hypersensitive and and wants to try meds for neuropathic pain, my guess is he'll recommend you try neurontin or lyrica. Both are used to treat neuropathic pain. I am currently on Neurontin and have tried Lyrica.

Hey, Eaglemom, where in Kansas are you from  ???.....sorry, big KU fan here !   ;D

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »
Yes - the med's he mentioned are neurontin and lyrica.  He prefers neurontin because it doesn't affect the liver and can easily be increased.  As stated I hate to try these - shamefully I don't want to have weight gain.  (I've worked too hard ruining both knee's walking to take a medication to put the weight back on )  But,................. at this point I really am ready to see if anything works.  At best if the med's work we do know its a nerve issue and at worst it will do nothing and I'll puff up and still have undiagnosed pain.

Tiny little town in the center of the Land of Oz - near Great Bend.  I started college off at Hays at Fort Hays.  After two years got married and moved to Manhattan to KSU and now bleed purple!

And you?

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
Hi Eaglemom

I am on 1800mg of Neurontin . I just increased 1 1/2 wks ago from 900mg. It does take time to adjust to these type of meds. The side affects I've had are short term memory loss, can't find right words when speaking , fatigue and I have had some weight gain. I don't know how much but most of it is in the belly. I found a forum discussing this and read most had it in the belly. Unfortunately this sometimes is the price to pay to have nerve pain relieved. This is my second round taking neurontin. I was on neurontin, then lyrica, back in Nov-Jan. At that time I was only on neurontin for 3 weeks before going to lyrica. I was on lyrica 11 days but those side affects were intolerable so I elected to suffer with pain. I could not drive at all, terrible loss of concentration and memory and had alot of weight/belly gain. Everyone is different though on how these meds affect them , so bear that in mind. That's just how it affected me. Some have had wonderful results with these meds and it allowed them to enjoy life without nerve pain. Don't go off these meds cold turkey...I went off the lyrica cold turkey after 11 days and went thru a nasty 2 day withdrawl from it. Once I stopped the med, the weight came off. I had the same weight problem before when I took protonics for a yr. You might try lidoderm patches for more concentrated areas of nerve pain. I am using those and they do help some....better than without.

I live about 20 miles south of KC, near the Missouri line and have lived there all my life.  Big time KU country here, with KSU and MU second. We toured KSU last fall as one of the colleges my daughter was interested in attending. Beautiful campus....was hit by a tornado this summer and sustained damage to part of it. The wind erosion lab was destroyed coincidentally lol. She decided to go to a college in California.

My second home is in Cincinnati where my OS is located, Ha, ha!

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA