Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: is this normal  (Read 729 times)

Offline marsbar738

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
is this normal
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Hi

i am just wondering if this is normal...

I am recovering from a patella fracture to my right knee following a motor bike accident.  The left knee got a good knock but has no fractures.  I am only partial weigh bearing on my right knee so my left knee is doing more work.  The left knee is painful to touch the center underneath area and sometimes feels as though it is going to give out when get up or sitting down on the sofa.  It is only very slightly swollen. It hasn't given way.  If i try to kneel down on my left knee that is painful and te kneecap seems to move around far more than before.   I tore my MCL about 7 years ago, and have had no problems since and the pain is not from that area of the knee.  Six weeks ago the doctors at hospital said, just see how you go. I am concerned that when I start physio the good knee might not cope.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated

Tash

Offline eslteach

• Regular Poster
Re: is this normal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Hi Tash,
I doubt that these are words of wisdom, but I feel your pain!   I think it is common that when we're off of the bad knee, the "good" knee gets all that extra stress put on it - I know mine did.  Take extra caution on what you do with the good one.  I did use a pull-on brace with my good leg when it felt extra stressed - the extra support seemed to help.  Maybe an extra ice pack too - one for the good one and one for the bad!
Ali
5/27/08 - Fall (dog chased cat)
6/4/08 - TPF diagnosed (crutches/NWB)
7/9/08/08 -  Surgery L.leg - tendon/meniscus repair
7/14/08 - PT - NWB
7/31/08 - PWB w crutches
8/7/08 - WB w crutch/cane optional
8/28/08-Released by OS
3/2009- R.leg - meniscus tear/fragments/cyst 4x7cm
4/7/09-surgical repair

Offline marsbar738

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:39 AM »
 :) Cheers, tash

Offline amethystrainn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
Hi Tash,

Sorry to hear about your accident. That must have been scary.  No wisdom to share, but I also have a fractured right patella and am having discomfort in the left knee, though not quite to the degree you describe.  It makes sense that the leg compensating for the injury would struggle.  Hopefully you have had success with Ali's suggestions!
-Nicole
08/04/08 - Fractured patella
08/05/08 - Immobilizer and crutches
08/06/08 - OS visit; no surgery needed
08/13/08 - OS visit; begin WB and SLR exercises
08/19/08 - 1 crutch (most of the time)
09/08/08 - OS visit; immobilizer is retired, using 1 crutch for support

support