Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: stiffness after TKR  (Read 3600 times)

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • tkr 12/17/08
stiffness after TKR
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »
I'd like to know whether the stiffness I'm experiencing 8 months after TKR will get better or even go away. Basically, the knee gets stiff if I sit for a while with my leg bent. I'm also uncomfortable sleeping with my leg bent. Those of you with experience, could you weigh in on this? I'd just like to know what to expect down the line and for the rest of the life of my TKR. Thanks!
Mindy

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
Re: stiffness after TKR
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »
Eight weeks is way to early to be worrying about stiffness and yet it's something we all wonder about. With excercise the stiffness should pretty much go away, but in can take 1-2 years. I am 2 1/2 years post op froma TKR and still get stiffness if I sit too long. It varies with different people.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
however 8 months is different !

However, it takes at least a year to be feeling like it is getting loads better - and prob longer.

Are you not able to sleep with your leg straight?

I think it is quite normal to have this stiffness - I am 25 months out and can get very stiff whether i sit stand or lie down and it does take some  effort and discomfort to get going again ! Mind you - it is of little consequence compared to pre op pain !

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! The stiffness isn't a big deal, I'm just at the stage where I'm wondering if it's forever or just temporary. I took up water exercise about a month ago and it's helping, at least it makes me feel better and more limber for a while. As soon as I sit the stiffness returns, especially if I forget to extend my leg. Sleeping is a minor problem except for the fact that I had a system for sleeping on my side with my leg bent and I can't do that anymore. Now I toss around a bit before I nod off. Oh well, like you said U K girl, it beats what (we)  I was living with before and it's still getting better. I'm looking forward to being 1 1/2 yrs post-op just to see how far I get.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »
I always sleep on my side.  I actually found I could lay on my side about a month after my TKR with pillows

Everyone is different .. everyone will reach their personal best at different times.  8 months you still will see improvement.   Keep excercising. It is the best thing for you.  Even at a year and a half for me  I still see improvement in my right knee. I call it my good knee now.  My other knee has gone to crap.  Pain all the time whether it be sitting standing laying on my back. 

All of this takes it's toll on your patience.  It is far better to take one day at a time and see how it goes from there.   

Gary064

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
I am 19 months post op and still get a lot of stiffness especially after resting for long periods. The worse time is at night though i have tried different sleeping positions but it does not help.
I just think back pre op and think of the pain i was in, and think its not so bad.

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »
At eignt months I was wondering the same thing. At 21 months I am still wondering? Although bending my knees in sleeping got almost back to normal at about 14 months. I did have bilateral with an MUA which put thngs back a bit. Now as I said bending to sleep is back to normal. The problem is they still do get real stiff upon walking more than 15 min or so, and like the others, upon getting up in the night. (despite sleeping with them bent.) I just go with what I got and be happy I am walking at all. Before the bilat I wasn't able to abmulate w/o an aide.
Just be patient and I bet you will see less stiffness as time goes by. TIBBAR ;D

support