Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone else missing martial arts?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Anyone else missing martial arts?
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
Hi ya,

I am unable to train in karate at the mo due to another knee op, I am missing it terribly and was wondering if anyone else was missing martial arts training too?

I thought that starting a thread on it may be useful so we could all get together, talk about our passion and support each other if and when we can return to training.

I'll start, I've been training in karate on and off for 10 years now. I trained in wadoryu/sport karate for 5 years and reached my brown belt, then my knee got worse I had an arthoscopy and I manged to have 2 car accidents so I had to give up for a year. Because I moved house I started back with a new club who practice traditional wado ryu. Due to the time I had off and the slight difference in style I had a year as a white belt and the graded straight to purple belt. I worked really hard for a year training up to 3 times a week, and whilst I couldn't do squat thrusts I pretty much managed everything else and another year later achieved my brownbelt. I was just about to grade for my second kyu browm belt and my knee started playing up bigstyle, it was locking bent and subluxing etc, this meant that I was struggling with training and could no longer preform kicks that were straight or of speed.

8 months ago I had a Lateral release done which made my knee worse and so unstable that I couldn't even walk fast let alone run or jump. However I put a kneebrace on after about 4 months and tried to do some training. I was able to do my kicks in slow motion which I think has improved my technique but it was not nearley as satissfying! I did some coaching as I am also an assistant instructor (this did help to keep me focused) and I worked on all my punches etc. Kata was a nightmare as I couldn't stay in the stances for very long.

2 weeks ago I had a MPFL reconstruction and am now once again sitting on the bench watching training. The surgeon reckons I will be back training properly in 3 months, I really hope so, I am missing it so much right now!

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Trace
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:43:32 PM by Thekaratekid »
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline rindsu

• Regular Poster
Re: Anyone else missing martial arts?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »
I trained in Goju Ryu karate for about 6 years.  I travelled through the ranks quickly as I was at the dojo almost 7 days a week.  I did some instructing after getting my black belt, but I have been unable to train since my accident.  It makes me sad.  I can't do the stances for my katas, I am unable to kick just like you.  All I can do is hit the heavy bag, and while that is somewhat stress relieving, I really miss my katas.  They were a way for me to express my self.  Almost like a form of dance.

Lindsey
Who blows out both their knees at once?

Offline mushroomeater

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
i studied karate a long time ago. too bad, i didn't have the time to practice and improve but i still know some techniques

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
I injured my knee doing Karate.  I had been training for 14 years and had recently got my 3rd Dan and then I went and tore my acl and some cartliage and got plicas as well.  That was 2 years ago and after the injury I kept training and at first i could do just about everything, though it hurt and then it got worse and I found some kicks hard to do and found it hard to put power into my techniques.  I had a year of physio thereapy , seeing three different people and all three kept tell;ing me to teturn to training, which was really difficult.  Then I saw an OS who reccommended the scope and found what I mentioned above and said that I would get back to training.  I've been having such a hard recovery that i often think I'll never get back in the Dojo and am worried about re-injurying the knee. It feels like it would be a miracle for me to get back and if I decided to givve up it would kill me.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline brady004

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
I miss training as hard as I used to in Tae Kwon Do since my injury.  I still wear a funcational brace when I train and teach, but hope to burn it after my surgery and full recovery.  I know that I will go through some withdrawl after my surgery because right now I go to the do jang 4-5 times a week.  I am thinking that I will be able to do weapons training first because I can use mostly upper body for that, but it will be a long road back to full steam and 2nd Dan.  But that is my motivation along with my young, active kids and lifestyle! :D
11/08: complete ACL tear during Tae Kwon Do
3/2/2010:  hamstring autograft ACLr