Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone experience hair loss after surgery from general anethesia?  (Read 797 times)

Offline pepstar197

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Over the years, I've had several surgeries where I was put out under general anesthesia.  It seemed that a couple of months or so afterwards, I would experience a lot of hair loss.  I'm 4 weeks post-op from ACLR and over the past few days, have noticed a lot of hair falling out.  I know this may sound obsessive, but I counted what I could over the course of a day and it was about 250.  The worse ones are the ones that fall out on their own and I can feel them landing on my arm...yuck. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  I can't remember from the last time this happened how long it took to taper off.   
Right knee ACLR 7/11/08
"You belong among the wildflowers, you belong in a boat out at sea.  Sail away, kill off the hours, you belong somewhere you feel free..."  Tom Petty - Wildflowers

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Anyone experience hair loss after surgery from general anethesia?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
Could be that you are on meds or the trauma a surgery and the pain after can be.
Are yo ueating as you should with all vitamins and everything you need ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

fatcats6

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
Yes, I've experienced that.  My natropath said it was a combination of drugs, stress and poor diet immediately following the surgery.  I looked abit patchy for awhile but in time, my hair has thickened back up.

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
I've heard of losing some hair but not the amount you are referring to. In my case on the last three surgeries the front caps on my teeth fell off, and I had to go back to the dentist and get them glued back on. I think I would ask to your GP as he might recommend a large amount of a certain vitamin you may be lacking. This must be very scary as the only other experience I've heard of is when you are on chemo for cancer.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »
There can be hairloss out of 1000 reasons. A stressed body can be the easisest answer.
So loosing hair because of chemotherapy for cancer treatment is not the only one.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.