Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson's Osteotomy  (Read 759 times)

Offline suzio628

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson's Osteotomy
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:25:17 PM »
My 16 year old daughter is 9 days out from emergency surgery which included a Fulkerson's Osteotomy and a Medial Patellafemoral Ligament repair resulting from two consecutive traumatic kneecap dislocations. Her ligament was really torn up. She had been previously diagnosed wtih Osgood Schlauters. She has a 4" incision beginning at the front of her kneecap down her lower leg. She is in a Bledsoe Immobilizer and walks with crutches. She started PT at day 4. Her quad really doesn't work and she has quite a bit of swelling around her knee area. When she does her PT the side of the quad knots up and is really painful. She has a lot of numbness around the whole knee area. We are keeping ice on the knee area most of the day and some heat on the quad knot frequently as it seems to relax it. The OS's PA said she can go back to school tomorrow.

Several questions that maybe others can give me their perspective on:
1. I haven't seem much progress in the 1 week of PT. Is this normal? She does her exercises twice a day at home.

2. She went for an outing to Barnes and Noble yesterday and was exhausted and her leg swelled some when we got home. I think the doc is nuts to say she can manage school! Her school has as much as 1/8 mile between one class an another. With the amount of exhaustion and swelling she has I do not think she is in any shape to go back yet. I have heard of people being out of work from 2-4 weeks. Comments?

3. Her leg muscles seem to hurt much more after she goes to bed at night, various twitchings and spasms. A Loritab seems to help her--at least she can fall asleep. Advice?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Fulkerson's Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »
Hi - Sorry you daughter has to got through this.  I don't have alot of time right now but I tried to give you some quick answers....

Several questions that maybe others can give me their perspective on:
1. I haven't seem much progress in the 1 week of PT. Is this normal? She does her exercises twice a day at home. - This is perfectly normal.  Recovery from these surgeries is going to several months not weeks.  The first few weeks are going to be slow...once the bone heals (part of the Fulkerson surgery) the PT will be able to work her harder.

2. She went for an outing to Barnes and Noble yesterday and was exhausted and her leg swelled some when we got home. I think the doc is nuts to say she can manage school! Her school has as much as 1/8 mile between one class an another. With the amount of exhaustion and swelling she has I do not think she is in any shape to go back yet. I have heard of people being out of work from 2-4 weeks. Comments? Personally I would hold off another week if possible.... I was out of work for 11 days with my 1st Fulkerson and I think that was probably too early.  Can you have work sent home for her to keep up with her classes??

3. Her leg muscles seem to hurt much more after she goes to bed at night, various twitchings and spasms. A Loritab seems to help her--at least she can fall asleep. Advice?  One of the thing that is said to cause spasms is Dehydration and low potassium .  Have your daughter drink more sports drinks and eat a some bananas through out the day.  If this does not help or there is HEAT OR EXTREME PAIN in the calf CALL the OS. These can be signs of problems.

I hope your daughter is doing well..Please feel free to ask any question you may have...Read up here on KG there is lotts of great info.  Please keep in mind there are alot of Horror stories on the internet. Not many people who have a normal recovery post. 

Best of luck,
Karen

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:23:33 AM »
If you don't feel right about sending her or she feels she isn't ready its not the end of the world to give her more rest time at home. Sometimes it seems like it when you are a teen, or the teachers put pressure, but a few weeks of school here or there in the whole scheme of things are not to be missed.
The key thing is her health and long term healing.
Very best healing wishes to her and please let us know.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline suzio628

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 03:16:28 AM »
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions to my posting. We now have Gatorade and bananas on the menu to increase potassium. Thankfully she drinks at least 26 oz of water a day. The PT also said today that the muscle spasms and cramping is normal as the muscle structure has been moved to a new location and has to figure out how to work all over again. AFter reading your responses and others in general, we decided that it is better for her to miss a couple weeks of school and be stronger and more confident and more healed when she does go back than push it too soon.

Thanks for the help!
Sylvia

support