Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: my knee is popping and doctor doesn't know what it is  (Read 641 times)

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
my knee is popping and doctor doesn't know what it is
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
help?  this is beth.  i had ttt surgery on feb. 1 of this year and everything was going really great.  then about  2 maybe 3 months ago my surgeon said that i could go back to work ( i am a nurses aide) in a month.  he said i didn't really have limitations.  so i was happy but when i started doing things around the house and now if i stay in one position for more than 20 min.  my knee pops.  and oh what pain.  i got an xray and he said that it looks like bone is rubbing bone.  he didn't say what could be done to fix it .  i got an mri and that showed nothing (like always.  none of my mri ever showed anything)   my surgeon said he has never seen anything like it before and he also said that if the mri didn't show anything then he would have to do exploitory(sp?) orthoscopic.  of course i am a nervous wreck because this is my 3rd surgery on the same knee and i just want to be able to function without being on pain meds and in pain all the time. 

CAN ANYONE HELP?  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IS GOING ON?  PLEASE HELP ANY ADVICE IS WONDERFUL

BETH

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: my knee is popping and doctor doesn't know what it is
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:51:33 AM »
Hi Beth,

I would be getting a second opinion, especially since you have had surgery before on the knee.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
Beth, I wish I could give you some words of comfort but I'm going through the same thing. I have had 4 surgeries on the same knee and with each one my problem has gotten worse. I had an arthroscopy, Partial Knee Replacement, Total Knee Replacement and a Spacer Exchange. My knee overextends and goes backwards and I have no control over it. My doctor is stumped and doesn't know what is causing this so I am seeking yet anothe opinion. I had a doctor I was with for 15 years who did the first two surgeries and my present did the last two.  I wish I could turn back the clock and just found ways to deal with the pain, at least I could walk.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »
Beth - not everythingup on MRI, I know of several people who have had inconclusive MRI's and have real problems like cartilage issues. i would agree, its about time you sought a 2nd opinion. A diagnostic scope wouldnt be a bad thing either, and it could well fix whatever the problem is at the same time as getting a good picture as to what is REALLY going on. i would dare to bet you had some cartilage problems there, that can often cause the popping you experience, but of course I am no OS and you need an expert opinion. Are you situated in the US or UK or other places?? if your in the US then a second opinion would be easy enough to get without too much trouble. but one thing is sure, you dont want to go back to work like this, its only going to make things a lot worse.
Hope you get things sorted
greetings beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline borymms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
 after my last surgery,  i was told that my cartridge was all in a torn heap because this surgeon is my third opinion.  the first surgeon would have cared less and the second wasn't any better.  this one  knee right away that my knee cap was maltracking.  but it was a year and a half later that he figured it out.    he said that the whole time when my knee was popping in and out,  it kept ripping my cartlidge more each time.  so now my cartlige is non fixable and he said he can't take it out either..   so tomorrow we have an appointment with him and we (my husband and i) are going to hear what he has to say and then going to probably go to see another surgeon  -  that will be my fourth opinion

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »
Good luck with the 4th opinion!! i feel sure when someone decides to do something for you, you will get some of the flossed cartilage removed, this should bring you relief. But maybe theres another underlying problem thats causing them to stall?? Hope the appt goes well and casts some light on the situation.
greetings Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain