Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: wired fractured patella : how long will it take for me to do ....  (Read 1207 times)

Offline marsbar738

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi
I am four weeks post op for a fractured patella.  I was knocked off my motorbike whilst travelling in lane 3 of the M40 hitting the central reservation.  I smashed my kneecap into several pieces which has been wired and I have lost about 10%.  I am in a leg brace and have been since day one.  I can put 20-30 lbs of weight on it, and am able to bend my knee to 90 degrees.  I am just wondering what peoples experiences are
like how long will it take to walk unaided?
run?
drive a manual car?
play golf?
ride a motorbike?

Tash
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:16:18 PM by marsbar738 »

Offline step

• Regular Poster
Re: wired fractured patella : how long will it take for me to do ....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
Hi, Tash - sorry about your accident.

You are doing very well with 90 degrees flexion and PWB already four weeks post-op. Recovery is very individual - your physiotherapist or orthopedic surgeon may give you an estimate, being more familiar with your injury and recovery, and fitness before injury. My broken patella did not need surgery (fragments remained aligned), so the recovery was faster, but I still could not run before seven or eight months post-op. I tried to run about 3.5 months post-op, and got patellar tendinitis, so it's not good to try and force things before the knee is ready. Other knee-geekers posting under the "Bone breaks around the knee" topic may give better advice, as more had surgery similar to yours, so you may re-post your question there, or read some older posts that contain similar questions.

If the flexion is so good, you will most probably develop less scar tissue, and recovery will be faster. Walking unaided depends on the rhythm in which your bone heals. If the OS assesses your bone is fused, or neary there, you may be allowed to start putting full weight on the knee. Driving will come soon. Never rode a motorbike, so I don't know about that, but there are big motorbike fans on this forum, so you'll certainly find out :).

Lennie

Offline marsbar738

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »
 :D

Lenny

thanks for your advise.  Fingers crossed then for the 19th to see how it looks on the x-rays

Cheers

Tash

fatcats6

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »
Hey Tash...totally blown away that you have 90 degrees ROM at 4 weeks post op, my goodness, most of us have to wait for weeks to achieve that so, well done you.

This was how it went for me:
Driving:  10-11 weeks
Walking unaided:  6 months (but I had my hardware removed after alot of problems with it)
Run: Never going to happen again
Golf:  No sure I could stand the G force pressure of the swing just yet
Ride a motorbike: same as for the car, as soon as you can bend and lift your leg well enough to mount the bike...I'd reckon it would be more of a psychological barrier after having an accident.

Don't panic...life does get better with each day that passes.  You'll progress and regress as you recover, it's just part of the healing.  Keep calm and positive when you can, cry when you need to.  I have a post op diary fatcats6 Fractured Patella, if you're interested.  The fracture meshes in 6 weeks but takes 3 months or so to be completely healed.  It's not like breaking a bone elsewhere, the forces on your poor old knee are extreme and recovery takes time.  Patience is the key to managing this injury.

This Site is a Godsend.  When you have questions, ask them here, someone will have had a similar experience and can offer advice in between OS/PT/GP visits.

Offline marsbar738

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks for your help, the running thing worries me a little as i need to be able to run to get back to work.  But fingers crossed i will make it.  Thanks again, tash ???