Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteotomies...My Success Stories  (Read 76461 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Osteotomies...My Success Stories
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Hi!
 I had my femurs derotated, and with each surgery it took me about 7 or 8 weeks to be able to walk without crutches again. I really limped at that point though. I didn't lose the limp until about a year later when my surgeon took the plates out of my hips. I'd say it takes at least a year to really feel right again, although it definitely depends on the person.

My right leg that I had derotated feels amazing. No pain at all anymore, it's like I have a brand new leg. I could run a marathon! Unfortunately, my left leg hasn't had the same outcome. It's been about 2 years, and i'm still having a fair amount of pain in my hip and knee. It can be really frustrating, but at least the surgery fixed the instability. I may have pain still, but I can walk and go up and down stairs confident that my legs are going to hold me up!

Hope to hear everything goes well for you. If you have any questions I check my email frequently at [email protected]

Feel free to ask away!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline MessedUp16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteotomies...My Success Stories
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Hello :)
Ah its good to know that it took 7/8 to be able to walk with you, but the complete recovery length seems like such a drag :/,
did you have to wear a cast/brace or anything after the surgery?, or was it just crutchers?
My operation dates been moved forward to the 8th July, i'm so nervous, but kinda relieved that things seemed to have gone straight forward with you, (except your left leg, not being 100%) i hope your pain goes away eventually!!
--What was the physio therapy like?, and how long after the op before you had to start it ?,
sorry for the questions, & thankyou for replying :)

Katie :)
xxx