Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *UPDATE - more surgery*  (Read 17374 times)

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *UPDATE - more surgery*
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:05 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I fly out to MA on Thursday, surgery Friday morning at 10:15am.   :P

Offline nikkiluv

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 01:29:10 AM »
redlotus,

I'll be thinking of you come Friday! I actually have my 6 month post-op ACI/DFO appointment with Dr. Minas tomorrow. I'm hoping that he has good news for me! I feel like I've been progressing really well in my rehab and recovery, and really haven't had any issues. The only thing that bothers me from time to time is that I have medial joint pain if I seem to do step-downs at PT (since they make you do them slow and controlled, versus a normal staircase where you kinda just "go," haha), and a couple other exercises. My PT attributes the medial pain to muscle weakness, which is entirely possible...I do still feel a bit of an imbalance and know I still have a ways to go to gain full strength. I also seem to have really tight areas in my quad and hamstring, but those are both slowly and surely seem to be getting better with the numerous amounts of massage and ultrasound I've been getting at PT (and massage by myself of course). My ACI was on my lateral tibial plateau...my ENTIRE lateral tibial plateau.

Overally I feel really good and besides the medial joint pain from time to time I don't seem to think about my knee in terms of "pain." I think about my knee constantly in that I have to be careful with it, not to twist, turn, pivot, go bounding down the stairs, etc., but I don't think of my knee because it's painful. Which, I never even thought this day would come to be honest with you, living day to day in chronic pain, thinking about your knee first before you do anything. I'm sure you're obviously and unfortunately all to familiar with the cycle! I'm currently at 128 degrees AROM, 133 AAROM, (my good leg is 130 AROM, so I'm pretty much there) and my PT gives me a 4+/5 for strength.

I'm hoping at tomorrow's appointment I get clearance to go back to work...I've been out entirely since my surgery date, which was May 18th. I'm a full-time cashier at a warehouse. So, standing on a concrete floor for 8 hours a day post-op from an ACI on a major weightbearing area was not even a consideration until the 6 month mark for me. Dr. Marks said he wouldn't even think about it to the 6 month mark, which is fine because I'm on disability leave, my position is being held for me until I get back, and I'm getting disability pay, so really there's no reason for me to go back and risk injury to my graft or increased pain, swelling, inflammation, etc. until Dr. Marks gives me the okay to go back knowing that by going back I won't experience any of those awful things.

Although, I'll really only be going back to work for about a month or so (if I get clearance to go back tomorrow), since I got accepted to nursing school!!  ;D I already had a bachelor's degree in Exercise and Sports Sciences (Athletic Training), but that's not exactly the field I wanted to go into. So, I applied for an accelerated BSN program (16 months) to get my Bachelors in Nursing to become an RN. Ironically, I found out the acceptance news the same day I came home from the hospital...such good timing! So, it's definitely given me something to work towards and a reason to push myself to get better. I'll be moving from NH to NC in January, and I can't wait! :)

So good luck with everything on Friday, redlotus. This totally has to be the last surgery you have for this poor knee of yours...you've been through way too much and by all means deserve to finally have a knee that doesn't give you anymore trouble!

Nicole

P.S. Sorry to write a novel on your thread! lol.
03/25/05 - RK debridement
12/22/05 - RK medial meniscal repair
10/31/08 - RK partial lateral menisectomy
03/13/09 - RK ACI biopsy
05/18/09 - RK ACI/DFVO
01/06/11 - ACI failure confirmed
*Currently awaiting call for fresh Osteoarticular Allograft Transplant cadaver match & removal of femoral hardware

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
Nicole -
Sounds like you're doing great!  Keep up the good work, and being careful with your knee is a good thing.  ;D  You're ahead of where I was at 6 months!  Congrats on getting into nursing school.  Think of this whole ACI thing as a great learning experience - now you're familiar with the anatomy of the knee and leg, and you've experienced surgery and medical care from the side of the patient, which will give you a great perspective on what patients are going through. :) 

Good luck at your follow up!  Hope things all check out well!  :)

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
Good luck on your surgery, Redlotus. Hope this is it for your knee troubles :) Let us know how everything goes.

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »
The surgery is done and it went fine. :)  Good news first - Doctor Minas says my grafts looked "terrific," and there's no problems there.  He removed some leftover synthetic graft cover that was flapping around causing crepitus and mechanical symptoms, but otherwise perfect news on the grafts. 

Bad news is that apparently my body has decided that it really likes producing scar tissue and adhesions.  He took out several adhesions around my patella, which he did last time I had a scope as well.  Nothing too major, so I don't think it's arthrofibrosis or anything, it just means I've got to keep an eye on it and there's always the possibility of more adhesions. 

But all in all it was good news! :)  I'm back in Maine at my parent's house.  A bit queasy from the pain meds but feeling okay.  Thanks for all the good wishes. :)

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »
So glad it went well for you, and here's wishes to less scar tissue for the future!!!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 03:49:36 PM »
Congrats, Red Lotus!! Happy everything went smoothly. Wishing you an easy, speedy recovery :)

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline nikkiluv

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »
Glad to hear the scope went well, Red Lotus!

I'm going to post an update in my diary, but my 6 month post-op appointment went great last week! Dr. Minas is happy with my progress. My strength is great, my x-rays look great (bone is healed, hardware looks good), and I don't have any real issues with pain, etc. I mentioned the medial joint pain I have on occassion, and he does attribute that to the muscle weakness. I also brought up that it's very sore and tender at the distal quadricep attachment, and he said, "yeah, we did that when we cut your muscle to get to the bone. It'll get better with time." So, my two concerns didn't seem like concerns to him at all. My next appointment will be in another 6 months, which will be my 1 year post-op appointment. At that time I'll have an MRI to look at my cartilage and see how it's progressing. Oh, and I also don't have to go to formal PT anymore, yay! I'll miss my "boyfriends," haha, but I'm glad I'm strong enough and well enough to not have to go anymore. Oh, and one more thing...Dr. Minas is allowing me to return to work, woo-hoo! Never thought I'd be so happy to be able to go back to work, haha. It's been 6 months, and after the end of August when I was off the crutches and walking around and doing things by myself, I was getting really bored. Of course all my friends work and I've been out on disability, so there's not much I've been able to do. I'm only allowed to go back to work part-time for the first month (5-6 hrs/day), since I've been out for so long and my job is so demanding Dr. Minas wants me to ease back into it. No squatting or lifting anything heavier than 20 pounds. But, I'm going back to work Monday.

So all in all, definitely a great appointment and I'm happy with my progress. I really can't believe all that has happened in the last 6 months...it's definitely been a whirlwind! Keep up the good work Red Lotus, and glad to hear the ACI graft looks great! Hopefully you won't have anymore trouble with stinkin' scar tissue!!!

Nicole
03/25/05 - RK debridement
12/22/05 - RK medial meniscal repair
10/31/08 - RK partial lateral menisectomy
03/13/09 - RK ACI biopsy
05/18/09 - RK ACI/DFVO
01/06/11 - ACI failure confirmed
*Currently awaiting call for fresh Osteoarticular Allograft Transplant cadaver match & removal of femoral hardware

support