Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *UPDATE - more surgery*  (Read 17448 times)

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *Now with surgical pics!*
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
That's so awesome - I put my surgery pics on my iPod a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure my battalion commander was all that impressed when I whipped them out, but what the heck.  He asked, right?  :) I've shown a little more constraint in showing people since then - making sure they actually want to see and so forth.

I always just nod and smile when someone asked what you did, then they go into a long story about how they hurt their knee once.  Not quite the same thing...

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »
SamB - Glad I'm not the only one who put pics on their iPod!   ;D  It's amazing how many people say "Oh, yeah! I broke my wrist last year," or "My ankle cracks when I bend it," etc.  It's like they feel some need to commisserate :)

Had my first follow-up apt yesterday.  Good news mostly!  Dr Minas was very impressed with my progress so far.  He said I had very good control of the leg, good quad strength, smooth motion, and I'm up to 115 deg PROM at about 5.5 weeks!  Ahead of schedule!  I had excellent pat. mob, and the scar/xrays looked good.  Unfortunately, my extension is not great and I therefore have to wear a dynasplint at night for the time being.  He said it'll be uncomfortable, so I got another scrip for oxycodone to take at night.  SIgh.  Just when I thought I was off the meds, they suck me back in!  But overall he said I was doing "great," and I can start doing SLR, 1/3 WB, and can discontinue the day brace.  Plus, NO MORE CPM!!!! That's 6 hours of my life per day I get back!

So I was needless to say in a great mood after the apt, despite having spent 4 hours in a car to get there and facing another 4 back.  Then, my roommate/landlord called me and told me her brother wants to move back in with her, so guess what?  I have to move.  In a month.  Great timing, eh?   :-\  She said she'd help me move my stuff.  Little does she know I think I'm going to move from Mass to Tucson, AZ!  HA! I should get that promise in writing before I tell her that.....  ;D  I'm upset, and pissed, but I'm going to look at it as an opportunity to make a big change in my life and move to a place I've wanted to live for quite some time.  Already applied to two jobs there, one of which pays more than $25/hr!  Wish me luck!

dileigh

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »
Yeah, we concentrate so much on flexion, we tend to not notice extension problems.  I lucked out and didn't have to wear the dynasplint, just hang the leg from a towel or pillow to get it to extend all the way.  Congrats on getting rid of the CPM.  I was so happy to get rid of mine.

That's a big change from MA to AZ, not only the weather, but the way of life and everything else.  Also will make your follow up visits a little harder....  But good luck with the move and the job hunt.

Diana

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
Thanks, dileigh :)
It will be a big change, but I have friends in Tucson to help me out and I love it there.  Plus my little sister is an airline pilot, so I get flight benefits! Last time I flew to Tucson to see my friends it cost me $30 round trip.  Granted, it was standby, but cheap!  So I'll be able to home to see family and for apts if I need to without breaking the bank.  I think a change is just what I need!

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
Woah... that's a hell of a move.  Good luck with that!!

I was lucky, and my surgeon was incredibly explicit about how I was to rest my leg all the time, so I maintained extension well.  Flexion on the other hand was a bear for me, and I still have to work it or I lose it... I was down 10 degrees when I went in for my 6 month and have to gain it back.  But my PT always said flexion is actually easier to regain than extension, so I'm not so bad off.

Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up!
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:39 AM »
Well, folks, it's been a while!  I've been very busy getting ready for my big move (aka getting rid of everything I own and living out of %#2!#$ boxes...).  I figured it was time for an update, esp since I'm heading in for more surgery Wednesday (Dec 10).  Sigh.  Just when I think I'm done, at least for while, BAM!  I began having a lot of grinding in my operated knee, mainly when my PT had me doing closed chain isometrics.  Friends have put their hand on my knee to feel this sensation, and have turned interesting shades of green and recoiled in horror.  Makes a gal feel popular.

So on my 12 week follow-up, Doc Minas was not at all pleased with the noises my knee was making.  When I told him it started after I began doing the CCI exercises, he was even less happy.  Apparently, my PT had misinterpreted the orders, and had me doing several exercises that I was NOT supposed to be doing.  Doc Minas then uttered those three little letters we all have heard so many times.... MRI.  So I had to stay with relatives a week in Mass until I could get said MRI.  I had to again fight with the worker's comp folks, and only got them to hurry up and approve it when I said if it took any longer I'd be sending them a bill for travel expenses incurred by a second trip to Mass.  MRI showed that I have partially torn the cover from one of the grafts on my patella (if you remember, I have two grafts on the patella, and a huge on on my MFC).  I also have a giant adhesion going from the back of the patella to the middle on my knee that needs to me removed. 

So it's a scope for me, to remove the torn part of the graft and the scar tissue.  Luckily, it looks like the actual graft is okay.  THANK GOD.  This makes the fifth scope in two years, and the one major ACI surgery.  I just want all of this over, so I can MOVE already!  There's only so long a 27 year old can live with her parents without going clinically insane. 

My knee is finally almost normal looking again after four months - there's the hug, 7 inch scar and all, but so much less swelling.  Nerve sensation has been returning to the outer part of my leg, and I can hobble around the house without crutches and only need one when out of the house.  The pain has been pretty under control -it already feels better than before I had the surgery!  Now it's another step back (albeit a small one - I shouldn't complain!).  Grrrrr......

On the bright side, I am SO not nervous about knee scopes by now.  I think about the first one I had, how I'd never really had surgery before, and how effin' scared I was, and it makes me laugh a little.  I had to bring one of my pet rats to the vet to get a tumor removed last week, and I swear I was so much more nervous about that then I am about getting another scope.  It's kind of like, "oh, yeah.... that's this week, isn't it?"  I spend a lot of time reassuring other people that it's not as terrible as it sounds.  Since I've been back home, on the island, people have gotten used to seeing me around again and are always asking about how the knee is.  Living on a tiny island means no privacy. :)  It also means explaining, over and over again, what you had done to your knee, why, how you hurt yourself, no, it's not the same as ACL surgery, etc.  Small town life.  It's great.  GET ME OUT OF HERE!  ;D

Hopefully everyone's doing okay and having a good holiday season.  I'm proud to say I had all my xmas shopping done the beginning of November - when you can't work and have unlimited access to the internet, what else is there to do but xmas shop? 

How's everyone else doing?  Anyone had adhesion removal before?  I'm assuming the recovery is not much different than a normal scope (debridement, menisectomy, etc).  They mentioned a 24 hr drain but otherwise seems straightforward.....

Hey, Matt, you still out there? n :)

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
Re: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *UPDATE - more surgery*
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
Hey there,

I am also having my patellar ACI looked at on 1/6 by Dr. Cole in Chicago.  I get lots of clicking, and painful catching when my knee is at about 30-40 degrees.  It's been this way for at least 3 or 4 months, and I had my ACI about 5 months ago.

I'm pretty nervous because I'll be devastated if they tell me that my ACI failed or something, but hopefully it's just a big adhesion or something.  I'm eager to hear what they see during your scope.

Will keep you updated, and I'm glad to hear that your grafts look fine on the MRI!

Best,
Ben
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »
Hey there,  well I think your in a lot worse shape than I am.  And I'm sorry to hear that you had to go back in for more surgery.   I hate to say it, but I got off my crutches around the 9 week mark.  I still have some pain in my knee, but I'm walking fine, and without a limp.  I can go up stairs normally, and come down them almost okay.  It's more or less a strength issue.  I have some tendonitis that gives me issues, and my hamstring is beyond weak.  So thats the focus at PT right now, to bring the strength back in my hamstring and get rid of the tendonitis. 

I go back to see Dr. Gomoll in January at some point.  Last time I visitied in October, he said I was in fantastic shape for the point I'm at.  So that was nice to hear, even if I felt like I wasn't.  It's more or less just being patient with it and giving the cartilage time to grow.  The hard part is that I work part time at Mt Sunapee driving snow cat.  So being a skier and up on the hill working doesnt make me feel too good  >:(  Oh well there's always next year  ;D

Hope everything turned out okay today.

Matt

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
So it's done, and everything went great.  Doc Minas said that all my grafts look great and are coming along beautifully, and the area on my patella where the graft cover was torn (which they trimmed off) had already started to grow a good amount of cartilage and should progress without issues.  Yay!  ;D  They took out a pretty decent sized adhesion, so I've got a very sexy hemovac drain in until Friday.  Nothing makes a gal feel more stylish than a bag of blood clipped to her belt! ;)  I'm feeling good, had much less of a hangover from the general anesthesia than I have had in the past, so that was nice.  I'm staying at my aunt's house here in Mass until my 1 week follow-up.  She, and my cousin who lives at home right now, are both nurses, so I'm in good hands!

Doc Minas said that he anticipate that once I'm healed from the scope, my knee will rapidly improve and things will go much smoother. 

So it's good news all around!

Matt, I'm so happy to hear that you're doing so great!  Kudos to you!  It sounds like you're well on your way to complete recovery. Sorry that you've gotta be so tempted by skiing.  I'm a cross-country skiier myself, and we had such a perfect snow fall for it last week.  I spent all morning with my face pressed up against the window, imagining how great it would be to be out in the woods in the peace and quiet.   :'(  But we'll get there eventually.  I'm planning on taking up regualar hiking again once I move, since I'll be surrounded by mountains and state parks in Tucson (and not a lot of xcrounty skiing opportunities!).  I can't wait!

Keep up the good work!  I'll keep everyone posted, and when I get home and have access to a scanner I'll post the scope pics of my grafts!

dileigh

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 11:26:02 PM »
Good to hear the op went well for you.   So when's the big move?

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
Well I had my MRI yesterday, and it looks like I'll be having another scope to clean up a flap that's come loose from one of my graft covers on the patella.  Might be some scar tissue, too.  But the good news is that all my new cartilage looks great and this will hopefully be the last scope on this knee for the foreseeable future. 

On the downside, Dr Minas is worried about my left knee (the "good" knee) and suspects that I have some pretty significant damage to the articular cartilage in that knee as well.  Workers comp obviously won't cover that knee, so I have to wait the 8 month "pre-existing condition" waiting period before my regular insurance will even cover an MRI.  But I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
Hi folks - got my surgery date for this latest scope.  They were kind enough to give me a whole week's notice ::) Since I've moved out here to Tucson, I have to buy a plane ticket to Mass, arrange for someone to bring me to surgery and pick me up from the airport, and try to get a pre-op physical all in one week.  Plus I'm going to miss some work and some classes, which sucks. 

I'm going in on the 6th, so wish me luck!

Offline Chloe901

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
Hi Red.Lotus,
I've been reading your posts with great interest. I'm on the waiting list to have a TTT on my left knee at some point March/April time, so it's great to hear the story of someone who has been there. I'm sorry that it has not all gone smoothly for you, and wish you well for this next scope and the future.
Keep us posted
Regards
Chloe
2005 - pain started in left knee
2005-09 - pain spreads to both knees and both hips
March 2010 - TTT operation on left knee
January 2011 - hardwear removal from '10 TTT

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:23 PM »
Good luck, RedLotus.   I hope this is the last of the scopes for you!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »
Yes, Ditto!  I hope it all goes well for you with this scope.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

support