Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *UPDATE - more surgery*  (Read 17447 times)

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Red.Lotus' Post op diary - multiple ACI, TTT *Now with surgical pics!*
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:14 AM »
Had another rough night.  Went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 1:55am.  Tried and tried to go back to sleep, even took another of my dwindling supply of pain meds, to no avail.  No matter what I did I could not find a comfortable position.  I just feel like I want to bend my leg to sleep, and that's clearly not happening! I was up until my parents got up for work at 4:45am.  I watched the news with them, then went back to bed for a bit.  I managed to get some sleep, until a friend from school called and came over.  When he saw my knee, he said "Oh my god! Oh my God!  It's not going to burst open and spurt blood or anything, is it?!"  I laughed and said "I sure as hell hope not!" 

He brought about 16 cups of freshly raked wild Maine blueberries, and told me I could keep what I cleaned.  So I got 8 cups of fresh blueberries for an hour of good company and music. :)  The rest of my day has been pretty uneventful - bordering on boring.  My mom is gone for the week for work, and my dad was gone most of the day, so it just me and the laptop!  It's nice to be spending time at home again, though.  (Still, I miss my independance!)

Got up to 80 degrees passive flexation again! Yay! And I talked to my boss at work to get a phone number, and when I asked how things were going there he said "We miss you.  We're a little lost without you, to be honest.  Don't rush your healing, but you know, hurry up!"  So it was nice to know I'm missed.  ;D  Maybe they'll give me a raise when I go back, now that they see what it's like without me!  ::)

dileigh, it could be blood pooling I suppose. I hadn't thought of that.  It feels better today.  I still think it's a bruise, since it popped up literally overnight, but who knows?  ;)

:) Redlotus

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
Not a good day.  :-\
I am officially out of pain meds, and the pharmacy has yet to recieve the refill prescription in the mail.  A long, uncomfortable night followed by a long, painful day.  I had PT and a nursing visit, neither of which helped the situation much!  I can't believe how long it's taking for the pharm to get the scrip!  I talked to my Dr.'s RN, and he called the island health center and gave them permission to give me some vicodin.  So the PA wrote and filled a scrip for ten hydrocodone to get me through.  They apparently don't carry oxycodone, and there isn't a real pharmacy on the island.  I took one earlier, and it hasn't touched the discomfort.  I don't want to use them up too quickly, since I have no idea at this point when I'll get more oxy. 

At least my PT was very pleased with my overall progress and ROM, and the incision is looking really good.  The steri strips are starting to fall off now, and things are healing quickly.

Keep your fingers crossed that those meds come in quick!

dileigh

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:13 AM »

OK, the fingers are crossed.

I have picked blueberries before, but how do you rake them?  I recommend lots of movies for the boredom.

Diana

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 01:36:13 AM »
Thanks, dileigh  :)

You use a blueberry rake, such as this one:

The slats are narrow enough to catch the berries but wide enough to let most of the leaves etc through.  You have to "clean" the berries afterward (i.e. pick out all the leaves, twigs, unripe berries etc).  Very time effective!

My nurse today also said that the ankle thing was most likely blood pooling, so kudos to you for the fine eDiagnosis!   You were right... I was wrong! ;D

dileigh

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 02:24:46 AM »

OK, you learn something new every day  ;D.   Looks like it makes it a lot easier than picking them one at a time.....

I only gave you the diagnosis I got when I complained about mine, and remembered others with it.  That's one of the things about reading all of the threads, you get an idea of what's "normal" afterwards so it's not as much of a worry.  Hope you got to sleep some last night.

Diana

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 03:23:42 AM »
Thanks dileigh!

I did actually get some good sleep last night thanks to the vicodin. I have an early morning tomorrow, since I'm going to the "mainland" with my friend.  Hurray!  Off-island!  I even get to go to Best Buy (hello, new DVDs!).  The steri strips are coming off some more, the incision looks good, and my ROM is slowly improving, so a good update overall!

RL

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 04:55:51 AM »
So RL,  not to make this too personal, but how do you sleep?  :)  I mean, are you sleeping in the CPM? or are you sleeping on your back? Or another way?   I was going to try and sleep in the CPM, but I basically spend about 10 hours in it during the day. Also I don't really trust myself to sleep in the CPM.  I sleep on my back, and ive set up a bunch of pillows so that my bad leg can rest on those, it elevates it as well.  It's pretty comfy.  I've had issues with having the knee brace on over the game ready cuff. It sucks when the alarm on the machine goes off in the middle of the night.   So the past few nights I've only use the game ready cuff.  If I make it tight enough it's like an immobilizer.  That and a few oxycodone and I'm pretty good.  I know your low on the pain meds, but I just figured I'd suggest what was working for me :)

Gotta love the fresh blueberries, we have a bunch of bushes in the back yard.  So good  ;D

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
Hi again!
Having a pretty good day.  I went to the mainland yesterday and was out of the house most of the day, which my knee tolerated better than expected.  Got my pain pills today (finally!) so that's a releif.  I slept better last night than I have been so overall I'm feeling good.

I also got my forearm crutches in the mail from the pharmacy yesterday, and boy do they make a difference!  They're so much easier to move around in, less clunky, and I feel like I move more smoothly and more quickly.  It feels more like actual walking rather than swinging between two sticks.  :)  My former and current PTs both reccomended I use them as opposed to the underarm crutches, due to the large amount of time in the last 2 years that I have been on crutches.  I have some neck issues from a fall when I was younger, and the underarm crutches really irritate it.  Overall so far I really prefer the forearm ones!

Matt - My issue is that I am a restless sleeper anyway, and I toss and turn a lot.  I'm not sleeping in the CPM, since I get my hours in during the day (and my mom for some reason is freaked by the idea of me sleeping in it - like it'll go haywire in the dead of night and rip my leg off or something!).  I have a body pillow that helps some - either under the "bad" leg, or between my thighs if I try to sleep on my side.  When I'm "healthy" I tend to mostly sleep on my stomach, some on my side.  NEVER on my back.  So it's been hard to adjust to sleeping like that.  Now that the pain is a little more under control, I can sort of sleep on my side so long as I don't move too much. :)  Also I found that if I strap on that sexy immobilizer just a little lower than I was before, I can sort of get a few degrees of flexation in my leg and that helps ALOT.  Maybe I'm not supposed to be doing that, but it really releives the pain and I still can't really move it. 

Thanks for the advice - always appreciated!  Oh, and by the way?  90 degrees!  Woo hoo!  8)  Booya!  ;D  Congrats on reaching your goal as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:35:44 AM by redlotus »

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 03:34:10 AM »
I got to 100 degrees today!  I am such a badass....  ;D

dileigh

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »

Yes you are  ;D ;D ;D  Keep up the good work

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »
I shouldnt of said anything  :)  Congrats on the 100,  I find out tomorrow where I'm at, but I think you've probably got me  :)  for now  ;D

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »
Well I hate to admit this, but I will,  only managed 93 degrees today at therapy.  ::)  Looks like I've got some work to do, in fact my therapist wants me back in tomorrow as well as Thursday to gain some more. 

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 05:15:09 AM »
WOW.....after something like that you need extra positive support besides everything else going on....looking at that i think i would be looking for mental toughness....that of Rambo times 10! Good luck with that.

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »
It's been a while since I posted - sorry!  I was without internet for about a week, then I was off-island for a friend's wedding and some socializing. :) 

Things are going well overall.  I'm up to 110 degrees on the CPM and about 105 deg passive ROM.  The incision has healed well and is looking good.  I have good patellar mobilization, and not much pain.  I'm off all pain meds other than tylenol, now, without a lot of discomfort.  I am sick of the brace, not being able to dirve, spending 6 hours a day in a CPM, and having to answer the question "What did you do to yourself?!" about ten times a day.  I think I'll load my surgery pics onto my ipod and just use visual aids.  :P

My "good" knee is actually really bothering me lately, more so than the operated knee.  I've had issues with that knee as well and one scope procedure, so it worries me that I'm putting so much strain on it.  I'm hoping it's just overuse.  Did anyone else have issues with over-use of their other knee?

I have my first follow-up apt Thursday (the 4th) so that's exciting.  I'm looking forward to talking to doctor Minas, seeing as I didn't get a chance after my surgery.  I'm hoping I measure up progress-wise!

Hope everyone else is healing up well!

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 03:29:12 AM »
Yes, the "good" knee started giving me problems with all the weight having to be put on it, and once the "bad" knee quit hurting round the clock it started highlighting the fact that the "good" knee actually does hurt.  I think it's fairly common for the "good" knee to start giving problems.

I also started wanting to carry around a flip chart with diagrams and pics for my knee for all the well-meaning "what DID you do?" and the "my sister had that surgery last year" (only to start hearing about an ACL repair or a replacement or a meniscotomy.... not wanting to be rude or anything, but pretty soon they start tut-tutting that you're not up and around like good ol' sis was, and ...  ::sigh::  just not worth it.

Sounds like you're doing great with the movement and pain.  Took me over 6 months to get off my pain meds!!  Keep at it!
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)