Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kinamatch  (Read 3539 times)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Kinamatch
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Kinamatch made by Kinamed?  It is a semi-custom partial joint.  My doctor would use that joint.  I have read a lot about Avon failures.  I have not read much about the Kinamatch. I am not sure what I am going to do as far a having a PKR/TKR.  I still have some good periods.  The past few weeks, have actually been very good.  I am able to do a fair amount of walking on level ground, get in and out of the car and even go up and down steps without an insane amount of pain.  June, I was a wreck.  I was hurting so much that I was pretty sure that a knee replacement was in the very near future.  Unfortunately, if the past year is any indication, this is a temporary reprieve.  I am going to keep track of how long the bad periods last and how long the good periods last.  I am just trying to do the research now and explore all options in case I suddenly hit the wall.  My doctor is definitely NOT pressuring me in any way.  He said that my films, symptoms and the condition of my knee justifies surgery but that I will KNOW when I am ready.  He said the worst thing that anyone could do is have a knee replacement unless you feel that you can't live with the symptoms anymore.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Kinamatch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi Amy. Never heard of that brand prostheses though that really doesn't mean anything! However, I can certainly sympathize with the good and bad periods. However, my bad periods finally outweighed my good ones, after a second round of unsuccessful Supartz injections in March/April. I went to my son's college graduation in May feeling terrible with my knee. In June, when I went back to see my ortho. who had hoped this last episode was some bursitis, after looking at the latest MRI scan report from Sept. 07=--and he had operated on this knee in Oct. 07-tolf me it was time I might consider consulting with the replacement surgeon in the group. He did not force me to do anything. I did consult with the replacement and decided to go ahead with the surgery before the pain became intolerable. I didn't want to wait that long! However, I also decided I didn't want to be recoveriung from surgery during the summer so I have scheduled my surgery for mid-September instead (Sept. 17 to be precise). So many people, once they've had replacements, say "Oh, I wish I hadn't waited so long because it feels so much better now." I didn't want to be one of those people!\
Anyway, I hope someone will be able to give you some info. about that knee. I just wanted to let you know I sympathize with you!
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:17:43 AM »
Amy,
 weigh your options carefully. Age, weight and pain tolerance are a big part. Look at as many options as possible. How active are you? do you still play sports? Does it hurt every day. Most doctors do not want to do total knee replacements on people 55 or younger. The reason behind this is most doctors will only perform two replacements on one leg. To much bone is cut off each time they do one and you can only cut off so much. Most replacement last 10 to 30 years the more active you are the less its going to last. So you can ruin two replacements in less the 20 years. The more you weigh the more stress on your knee real or fake. The more stress the more pain. As far as pain tolerance women tend to fair better then us men. I guess its the having a baby thing or were just wimps. If you can handle the pain wait if not get it fix. If you like to play sports these fake parts don't work well I played softball four nights a week before the injury now I am sports less.
 If you are looking to get rid of everyday pain say your a 5 out of ten daily most of the knee replacements will do it. I had a Arthrosurface Hemi Cap system installed in December of 07 and daily pain is gone but at a price. I can no longer play sports, kneel or crawl. There are people on this site that have problems with just about every system, if we didn't have problems we probably wouldn't be on here. Depending on the amount of damage to your knees will determined how many options you are going to have. If you can meet with another doctor for a second opinion or even a third. Read up on the procedure your doctor wants to do and read up on other options like mine or the avon system info is out there on the net. Good luck with your knee and welcome aboard.
RoTTeN
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »
I am 52 and about 10 lbs overweight.  At this point, I fluctuating between saying I am no where near ready for another knee surgery when the symptoms are not terrible to "sign me up."  Right now, when I am in the middle of an increase in pain.  Right now, I am in the middle of a three to four week honeymoon from my knee pain.  For the most part, pain is only at a two or three.  I can't remember the last time it was so good.  I am not looking to do lots of sports.  I would love to walk on flat surfaces, maybe take a two or three mile walk with my husband and dogs, get into normal (not high impact exercises). go up and down steps, in and out of the car and up from a chair without first bracing myself.  As far as not being able to kneel, I haven't been able to kneel or squat for over ten years do to my knees so that would not bother me at all.  If I have to sit on the floor to get into a bottom cabinet, I always have to have a kitchen chair next to me to help me back up.  Even when my knees are behaving, I get that lovely feeling that one bone is grinding on the other and then get that sharp pain a five or six times a week.  It is annoying, but I am so used to it.  When my knee flares up, I bring my knee brace and ice to work to make it through the day.  When it gets real bad, I leave my crutches in the car.... just in case.  When I am in the middle of a flare up pain is from a 5-7 with occasional spikes higher.  Number levels assigned to pain is so subjective when that mild background pain is so part of your life.  I consider that mild 2-3 pain to just be "back ground noise" which I barely notice unless I think about it.  When pain is at it's worse, I still make it through a day at work, but modify my activities as much as possible and then often send one of my kids or husband to the food store so that I can just ice or heat my knee depending on the day.

My doctor is NOT pushing me at all.  He is just laying out my options.  Another realignment does not make any sense at this point.  The two options he presented is a partial possibly combined with a distal realignment (wouldn't know until he got in there) or a TKR.  He claims that he has many patients whom have their original TKR's from 20 years ago and still going strong.  No guarantees, but he feels if a joint with a good track history is used and the alignment is done properly a TKR can last at least 15 year PULS+++++. 

When someone asks me how much I am modifying my life, it is so hard to answer.  Then again yesterday, I was at a mall with my husband.  I did a fair amount of walking without a real problem but when we came to the steps (lots and lots of steps), my husband asked me if I could do them.  I opted to take the escalator on the other side of the mall instead.  I know from past experience that doing that number of steps would possibly end my reprieve in knee pain.  But then again I am thankful that I was able to walk around a bit.  When my husband and I do decide to take a walk around the neighborhood, we always stay within a two or three block radius of the house because I never know when I will "step wrong" and trigger things in my knee.  In a way, at least I am functional with activities of daily living now.  I would hate to think that I could have a surgery that makes things even worse but then again it would be amazing to not have to plan things out around my knee.
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Amy, I had those flares of pain during May, espeically the week before and the weekend of my youngest son's graduation. I characterized them as almost like labor pains in my knee, waiting for them to finish! I'll be 54 in September, not overweight so weight isn't an issue for me. I have a brace but it gets stinky if I wear it for any length of time! I skip the crutches and cane but thought about bringing the cane with me to the graduation, but ended up not, though I probably should've!
My huhsband likes to go walking in our mall too--New England's biggest--and sometimes I just don't feel like it, although it has many seating areas throughout it. SOmetimes I have no trouble, sometimes it hurts. ANyway, in June, I realied I had gotten to a point where I didn't want to spend my life with my knee feeling the way it does. My ortho. didn't pressure me to have the surgery but thought it would be a good idea to at least have a consultation with the replacement surgeon (my ortho. doesn't do replacements) and I did. And decided I had come to the point where I had to consider it seriously as the quality of my walking life had gotten bad.
Caroline

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:14:45 AM »
Caroline

Are you going to have a knee replacement done?  If so when and who are you using?

Good luck

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Amy, I'm having a partial knee replacement (medial right knee) on Sept. 17. My doctor is Lawrence Schweitzer, who is an OS with CT Family Orthopedics here in Danbury (CT). The ortho who did my previous surgeries, Dr. Gray,  is in this same group and referred me to Dr. Schweitzer when I got to the point with painful knees that I was considering the replacement, and Dr. Gray doesn't do replacement surgeries, unless it's ankle replacement! Looking forward to (hopefully) having a less painful knee once I recuperate from the surgery!
Caroline

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
Hey Amy!  I went to their website and looked at the implant you're talking about.  I like the idea of not cutting any femoral bone.  That's wonderful.  I was looking at a similar system for bicomparmental replacement, the iDuo from ConforMIS.  My ortho didn't like it though, so we're doing the one he's more comfortable with.  Is your arthritis all in the anterior compartment?  I'll be interested to hear how this goes if you opt for patello-femoral joint replacement.

~dig

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »
The arthritis is mainly in the patellofemoral joint.  There is some mild spurring in a small area of the lateral compartment.  The doctor said that I am not an IDEAL candidate for a partial but it is still a viable option.  About 8 weeks before surgery, a bone scan would be done to determine the extent of hot spots in other areas of the knee and also to design the custom joint.  It is still possible that after the bone scan, the doctor will find too many hot spots and not want to do a partial.  It is also possible that when he went in to do the partial , he would also do a TTT.  He couldn't tell until he went in.  The doctor felt that stopping the grinding etc and achieving a more normal tracking may arrest the development of arthritis in other areas.  It is really a crap shoot in a way.  Right now I just want to know my options in case I just hit a wall.  The doctor felt that even though I am a bit young 52, the condition of my knee would justify a knee replacement.  He said that old joints only lasted 10-15 years.  He has several patients with their original joint (20 -22 years old) who are still going strong.  Both my mother in law and two co workers had TKR done 5-7 years ago and are happy with the results.  Then again you read about the poor outcomes on this site.  Very confusing.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »
I think the poor outcomes you see here aren't representative of the whole population.  People who have complications are probably a lot more likely to be looking for answers and support than people who don't have complications.  I'm glad to read about poor outcomes, though, because it does highlight the fact that after knee replacement I really do want to do everything I can to AVOID problems.  The reality of what can happen will smack ya' right in the face on these forums.

~dig

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
The poor outcomes here are just that poor outcomes. If we didn't have problems or we weren't just starting of looking for some answers you wouldn't here from most of us. You never will see a message board dedicated to happy endings those people just go on with their lives and don't write about the blessing they received. I am sure that we are the less then 5% who have problems.
RoTTeN
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6