Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 9weeks post tkr, finally back to work  (Read 1730 times)

Offline bc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
9weeks post tkr, finally back to work
« on: August 06, 2003, 07:12:33 AM »
It's been 9 very long, painful weeks.  Requiring a return to surgery for manipulation after 5 weeks.  Too many adhesions, and though there was good range during the manipulation, it has taken 4 very long weeks to approach the flexion the surgeon got.  Was not prepared for how difficult it would be post-manipulation.  Though warned, expected earlier results.

Finally returned to work Monday.  The last two days have been very long.  The exhaustion is worse than the pain.  I still have PT 3 times a week, but have to push myself to exercise at home.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: 9weeks post tkr, finally back to work
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 07:56:51 AM »
Hi!

I'm 3weeks post op and am having major difficulties with extension and flexion--I see my doc next week to find out if we are doing a manipulation.  I was scared of that--but I'm working myself to tears and illness with absolutely no gains.

I'm pushing myself to do my exercises too--but it is because of the pain I'm addressing.  I had a tkr on the opther knee in December without all of these issues and I'm hating this.

Your story is telling me that I need to hang in there and I need toi be  patient, but that it will come in time.

I hope that work gets easier with each passing day and that the exhaustion drifts away soon.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline bc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 09:52:35 AM »
I feel for you.  It felt like I was making no progress, despite tolerating very painful PT.  My ortho said he doesn't like to do the manipulation, has only done it a couple of times.  I think he also felt my progress was too slow after, but now admits it was probably the best choice as I have much more flexion, finally, though have only gotten to 120 several times during PT.  

My goals were lower, stand up without grabbing the armrests, go up and down stairs one foot at a time and not limp so noticeably.  Those I accomplished, through a lot of recumbent stationary biking to keep the stiffness down.  

Hang in there.  I guess I'm learning all knees are different.  This makes me more conservative about doing my right knee soon, though I would hope if the first one was bad, the second will be easier?

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 04:41:24 PM »
Hi!

My left knee was so much easier than this one has been...same doctor, same hospital, obviously same patient.  I don't know why the differences but I had lateral releases done on both knees and the one on my right knee was more successful and  a lot easier than the one on my left knee--again same doctor, same surgery center, same patient.  

I am so bewildered by all of this--it took so long for my doc to decide that the tkr was a good idea--and it was really the only idea left--and now this.  I'm praying that I can survive until I see him in 8 days to talk about the manipulation.  Mylife is dragging in front of me now.

Good luck with your work situation--take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 07:00:28 PM »
Wow - good luck all of you. I have just had a lateral release, and had a lot of problems with haemarthrosis. 3 in 3 days, 2 requiring aspiration, and the first bled out through the still open arthroscopy holes. My thigh is really stiff after a second operation to cure the bleeds. Only about 30 degrees of movement possible due to intense bruising in my thigh and calf muscle.
Left knee cartilage removal 1992, right knee cartilage removal 1997, right knee lateral release 26/08/03 with 3 haemarthroses in the first 3 days post-op. 4th procedure to clean up right knee 30/08/03

support