Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR post-op day 22--whining  (Read 2465 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR post-op day 22--whining
« on: August 06, 2003, 06:58:36 AM »
Hi!

I seem to be stuck in a holding pattern--lots of pain, much time exercising, torture in pt--and no real changes in extension, flexion, or my ability to walk.  For all of the hours that I have given to exercise and therapy, with all of the accompanying pain--well, I'm frustrated to report that my extension again today was -20.  And my pt said we weren't going to work on flexion at therapy for a while because I would end up being there all day.  (He told me to keep up with it at home.)

It will take every bit of effort I have to go back to pt--but I will.  The manual manipulation and e-stim are the most awful parts right now.  My pt wants it to be aggressive--and my pt assured him it is.  My pt wants me to keep with it, along with 20 min on and off with ice, elevation, pain meds every 3 hours, and these lovely ted hose.

I have tried to be open minded, but things are feeling futile for me right now--and I'm sinking after this long with nothing to mark a turning point of any kind--from pain or from the viewpoint of using this knee--or walking easier.

I know I need to be patient--it has been so nasty for so long--but I need some kind of measure that tells me things are coming round.

Thanks for listening to me whine--Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Teresa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: TKR post-op day 22--whining
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 02:55:04 AM »
 :-*hi sylvia
have just come back from france on the family hols,a much needed break from the recent traumas of my knee,and the potential fulkersons osteotomy.The pain is no better,but I feel rested and actually was able to swim without to much discomfort,so physchologically has helped.The first thing I had to do was to log on and see how you have got on,and am dismayed to see you have been in the wars again!!!wot have you been doing?I had expected to hear you bouncing around on your new knee!!
Take a leaf out of your book of good advice..Take one day ata time.its very early days,and as we both know,two operations,both the same,and they will inexplicibly differ.You will get through this...you have lots of friends rooting for you,and sending positive vibes down the line..we have all been there in one way or the other,and know that ever ending spiral of pain drags you down,especially when you have been waiting forever for your op,and you expected to wake up,and it had all gone away!It will..keep positive and try to have a small goal at a time.
love and hugs Teresax
Arthroscopy 93,L knee .Bil arthroscopies,washouts,surface scrapes & semi-open lateral releases jan 03.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 03:51:30 AM »
Thanks Teresa,

I just got back from seeing the doctor who is helping me with depression--and as we talked, I told him a lot of the right things--like I have obviously said here--and then he let me figure out that I need to do what I know I need to do.

I'm going to call my os tomorrow and talk to him about therapy and pain and see if i can move to a different plan--it has been so awful.  At least it is worth a try--and he won't know how badly this is hurting unless I amke him aware.

My doc suggested that I try to relax and have fun--maybe reading a children's book or something--I'm going to go for that tonight.  I can only do what I can do.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Teresa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 05:48:57 PM »
 ;D
Hi Sylvia,
How did you get on at the Dr?Did you get some good results,and a new game plan?Did you find a good childrens book to escape with?Here in the UK,we have the phenominally successful Harry Potter books.No doubt you guys have heard of the books.I recommend them for pure escapism,even  for us 40 plus oldies!
I hope you are feeling more positive since your visit,and that you can go to pt with a more upbeat approach.We are thinking of you.
love Teresax
Arthroscopy 93,L knee .Bil arthroscopies,washouts,surface scrapes & semi-open lateral releases jan 03.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 06:01:34 PM »
Hi Teresa,

I've been playing a very frustrating game of phone tag with my os--no luck there at all.   :'(  I'm very much at wit's end right now.  

I did decide to snatch the new Harry Potter book from my kids--they have had it since it came out and I've been waiting for my chance to read it--started giving it a go yesterday.  They are quite fun to read...

Anywya, this is the beginning of a new week and I'm expecting to get out of this rut this week as well.

Thanks for the kindness, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Teresa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 06:21:14 PM »
 :-*Hello again Sylvia,
I have just read your other site,and was delighted to see you online.It is great to get these wonderful messages of encouragement from all these kneegeeks,but when you get the reply,you are often in a different frame of mind from when you wrote the post,maybe more upbeat,or maybe you have buried your head further under the pillow!
Yes,this is the beginning of a new week..it is 3pm on sunday afternoon,in the most un-english heat of 30 degrees,and I am wilting.I am not sure what time it is with you.You are going to beat this problem with your rom..you sound like you have a wonderful family behind you every step of the way..we all know that you need something in this life to grab onto in our darkest hours,and they are your lifeline.Yes,the pain,the immobility and inability to perform the most menial of tasks for you and your family are foremost in your head,but you also need them to pull you through this.
It will not be permanent,but you will get thru..
I hope I havent sounded to serious to you..I think when you get as low as you have obviously got,you need comfort and kind words,but you sometimes need other directions to follow as well.I hope I have been a little help to you,and not made you more miserable.At the end of the day,you have every bit of support I can muster
Love Teresaxxxx
ps.Persevere with Harry..it is great entertainment!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 10:48:58 PM »
 :) :) :)

Thanks so much for your gentle and thoughtful encouragement Teresa...

I know what makes sense and is right.  the tricky part here is for my actions and thoughts to match what I know--and for those who are hel;ping me to do so in the way that is best for me.  I'm going to get out of the house here in a bit--maybe a change of scenery will do me some good--if I don't overdo things.  I want to go buy a couple of games to play with my kids on their last full week of summer vacation.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio