Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Do you ever wonder????  (Read 851 times)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Do you ever wonder????
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:20:52 AM »
I know that many people have wonderful surgical outcomes and that many of the people frequenting this board  are still dealing with knee issues.  Of course the responses are kind of stacked towards the failures or partial success.  After reading all of the horror stories do you ever wonder if your particular knee symptoms are really bad enough to do anything other than PT, bracing and other non invasive treatments?  I am facing the possibility of either a TKR or PKR but knowing the possible negative outcomes really gives me reason to think long and hard about what it will take for me to be ready.  Then again, the last three weeks, I have actually had annoying but mainly tolerable symptoms.  When I get my next flare up, I may well be singing a different tune.  My most recent MRI is four years old and a lot has changed since those films were taken.  i never know when I will hit the wall with pain and disruptive symptoms.  I am going to have another MRI next week to figure out what is currently going on in my TRICKY NOT SO LITTLE knee.  Just wanted to know if anyone else is as conflicted as me about how much pain is tolerable and when you are truly ready to roll the surgical dice and hope for the best.  Obviously the correct diagnoses, a good surgeon and good rehab plan improves your odds of a good outcome, however even with the best surgeon, it seems to be a roll of the dice with somewhat better odds.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Do you ever wonder????
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:00:57 AM »
I think that the day the knee interrupt so much in your life and you have a hard time standing the pain, then it's absolutely time to do something.
We all are different, some can never ever think of reducing the things they do in life to wait out a surgery. But for some that is OK.
Whatever and whenever we choose to do something or not, we are the one's that have to put up with everything no matter what we choose.
Have a serious chat with your OS. Sometimes waiting too long can make the surgery more difficult.
Wish you the best.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »
Read my post about Help, Doctor is stumpted, nerve damage or not. If I could turn back the clock I definately would have made different choices. I had doctors changing their minds as I'm being wheeled into surgery, and you are half asleep when they are explaining it to you, and you are not even involved in the final decision that you spent months talking to him about.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »
I've had a number of professionals ask if I'm ever going to consider knee surgery & my response is pretty much what Nettan says...when I can't deal with the aches & pains any longer I'll seek help. For the meantime, I know what I have & I'm dealing with it.

Interestingly I'm having acupuncture for my lower back pain at the moment & the doctor is sticking his pins all around my knee, too, because I told him the extent of damage. I can't say the pains are gone but by golly it's less stiff than it was. After walking or working at the farm then sitting for a while I knew I'd have to deal with the stiffness when I got up. Acupuncture seems to have dealt nicely with that.

Anybody else ever have acupuncture for their knee problems?...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »
I'm certainly thinking about.  I'm too the point "whats it going to hurt?"  I see the os tomorrow - that is one of many questions I have for him. 

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:11:13 AM »
I have never tried acupuncture.  I am now in the middle of another round of pt - this time water therapy.  Knock on wood, my knee has been pretty good the past few weeks.  I don't want to jinx myself but, I did a good deal of walking at work, and then ran a bunch of errands and barely noticed my knee even getting in and out of the car.  The past few days, going up and down the steps has not been too bad. I am not sure whether this good patch is related to physical therapy or just a coincidence. These good periods make me think that I should wait awhile.  I plan to start to keep track of flare up periods and good periods.  My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow.  I figure that I will go ahead with the MRI so that we have current information about the extend of the damage to my knee in case I really hit a wall.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »
Hi, I have had TTT/LR's on both of my knees. With my L knee i decided it was time for surgery when i could not make it a day without taking narcotic painkillers or take more than a couple steps without my kneecap going out on me. With my R knee, it was the same as above, but more so that i was worried about what if my kneecap went out while transferring a patient (i am an RN). Really the decision to have surgery is a really hard one to make and everybody will take different things into consideration before taking that step. All the best to you!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
 I don't want to jinx myself but, I did a good deal of walking at work, and then ran a bunch of errands and barely noticed my knee even getting in and out of the car.   My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow.  I figure that I will go ahead with the MRI so that we have current information about the extend of the damage to my knee in case I really hit a wall.

Amy ~ The first positive thing I noticed about acupuncture was that my knee didn't stiffen up when I first got out of the car as it had. And that's holding true for walking dogs & sitting down afterwards. My knee used to get incredibly stiff & it's not doing that any longer. A fluke or a benefit of acupuncture? I dunno but I'm enjoying it. Good luck with that MRI...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
I have had acupuncture with some success. The thing that was noticeable with me was the reduction in swelling...a big bonus for me since swelling often is the source of pain....

I too am a firm believer that I would have to be at the end of my pain tolerance (which is very high) to go ahead with any more surgery.
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.