Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "core strength test" screwed up my knees?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline dorsia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"core strength test" screwed up my knees?
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:54:18 AM »
I was having problems with my right knee and had been to numerous Dr' and PT people with no good results. I went to see a new PT person for some advice on a new program.

She performed a bunch of tests on me. One was a core strength test where i stood on one leg while she pushed on the opposite hip until I cold not hold my hip straight anymore. So when it released my hip sort of rotated about 45 degrees. I didn't feel anything at the time but that night both my knees felt tingly.

Now its been about 4 months since then and I am much worse off than before that. I was biking 40 miles at atime before then now I can't do more than a light 30 mins.

Has anyone else experienced something like this. I am wondering if I had some mild cartilidge problems and then she basically just accelerated teh damage by 20 yrs by doing that test.
10/08:
Right knee Scope. Medial plica removal, partial fat pad removal. Smoothed bump on kneecap.

1/09: still doing rehab but can't get quad to fire well. Pain up and down stairs and long walks.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: "core strength test" screwed up my knees?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:25 AM »
I seriously doubt that the knee could be worse by this test. Maybe you already had some ongoing problem on the way. I have never heard of this test ever, seems a bit odd to me.
Have you seen any OS lately ? How are you managing your daily life ?
Have you gotten any diagnos ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline dorsia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:48 PM »
Yeah I have been to 3 different dr.'s. Funny thing is no one ever seems to talk about this cartilage dmaage. They just said PFA, patella femoral pain which seems like a catch all term. It wasn't until I went to a new Chiro / art guy that said he thought i had cartilage damage and he told me to get an mri w/ the dye injection that showed a big tear behind my knee cap. Now i am not sure what to do becuase ever dr i went to just said do more PT. I am just not sure if this expains my weight bearing pain issues when just standing or walking more than 20 mins.

thanks
10/08:
Right knee Scope. Medial plica removal, partial fat pad removal. Smoothed bump on kneecap.

1/09: still doing rehab but can't get quad to fire well. Pain up and down stairs and long walks.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
Hi Dorsia,

I would go a see a good sports physician/doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.

Physio is always suggested before considering any surgery for patella problems.

Like Nettan, don't believe one test stirred you up. Something was obviously going on for a while.

You may want to think about a gym program and clinical pilates. They have both really helped me.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline dorsia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
Thanks. I live in Austin so doesn't seem like they have great people here. I was going to who I thought was one of the most respected sport ortho guys here. Honestly he always seemed to busy and just told me to do more PT. Their PT was terrible. I have learned more about PT though books I have read and researcing on teh  INternet and sites like these.

I just hear so many horror stories I am afraid of it getting even worse if I get surgery.

I agree that somehting was probbaly going on with my knees but I do think something happended at that visit w/ that PT. I work out a lot and stay in great shape. I take notes on all my workouts and what I do every day on my calender. Unless its some bizarre coincidence, after that very day my activity level dropped significantly. It was to sudden of change to be pure coincidence. I literraly did a 30 mile bike ride 2 days before then 2 days after the test both my knees were aching from just standing and walking. It was like night and day and it hasn't gotten a whole lot better since.

My experience is these PT dont know much and just say stregthen your quads. I tried 3 different ones looking for some 'magic' routine i am missing and have not found it. Maybe austin is just bad, dont know.

Also before the meeting w/ that PT person I was doing wall sits w/ no pain which really seemed to be stragtheing my quads a lot. Then after that visit I can no longer do them w/out knee cap pain which I never experienced before.

I have tried 3 diff sport ortho guys and they all say the same hting, MRI neg, do PT. No one every mentioned cartilage or chrodmalcia. What exactly does PFA refer to? It seemed like such a general term. I am still not 100% sure what is causing my pain. My bro emailed a top guy in NY that he saw a while back when he broke his ankle and he thought for the time i hav ebeen out and doing rehab that I need a scope to see what is going on. I am just scared i will go from mild pain and no sports to major pain and limping.

Thanks.
10/08: