Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Complete Quad Tendon Rupture  (Read 855 times)

Offline gatorbaiter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Complete Quad Tendon Rupture
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »
I am a 55 year old Union Ironworker who suffered a complete quad tendon rupture on June 28, 2008. I am wondering what the expected
time of recovery would be for me at my kind of work or would this be a disability for ever? My job title is Journeyman Rodman. My work is installing reinforcing steel rods for concrete. It involves climbing,lifting,bending repeatively for eight hours a day sometimes more. Most important is balance and surefootedness as i am required to walk on unstable material ,climb rerod walls,walk up or down steep slopes. Very demanding work even for best of the fitness man! Not being a 100 percent at going back to this work could cause more serious injuries or even worse death! PLEASE I NEED MORE POSTS TO SHOW MY DOCTOR WHAT OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCE. VERY IMPORANT PLEASE HELP ME. THANK YOU & SINCERCELY GATOR!

/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:33:12 PM by gatorbaiter »

Offline Boods

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Complete Quad Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
I am 52 and suffered a complete quad rupture on 11/72007.  I am overweight and did not have a regular exercise routine.  I went through the same post operative routine that most describe, immobilized leg for a period of time ,followed by gradually increasing the knee brace to allow the knee to bend further and further. 

I was amazed that I could not bend my leg more than 10 degrees when the brace first came off, and i could not return my leg to the straight position once I reached the 10 degrees.  I was always able to bear weight on the leg even after surgery.  I drove although it was difficult to get in the car and I even carefully would use a snowblower to remove the record snowfall that we would receive each week. 

it is now August and i am still attending a strength and conditioning class for 1 hour sessions 3 times per week.  i do not have a lot of time between work hours to do much more.  These sessions have been much better than the PT sessions i started with at first.  PT only had me doing exercises for about 30 minutes each session and it seemed more of an evaluation rather than strength training.  The doctor suggested the strength training class knowing that as a working individual that time is limited.  He didn't expect that I would do this all on my own. 

I hate going to the class after a 10 hour day at work but even 8 months after surgery I am no where near maximum medical improvement.  Co -workers and family think I am doing great until they see me walk up and down stairs. Range of motion is fine, but i still lack strength and feel pain in the knee.  Improvement is happening though it seems to be a slow process.   My trainer ruptured a quad at the age of 16 and she said it took her a year to recover and start playing soccer.   Doc says that it may take up to year before he can even evaluate if there is any permanent damage. 

Up until a week ago I still occasionally would have knee buckling so I think you are in for a long recovery before being able to perform safely all the work related tasks that you describe.  After 8 months I would still not be back to work if I had such a physically demanding/dangerous job.  Everybody is different and you are probably in much better shape than myself, but you could be out for a long time before you are 100%.