Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TENS MACHINE  (Read 4345 times)

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
TENS MACHINE
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
For all of you in so much pain, have you suggested to your doctor to try a TENS machine.This is not like what I had at therapy as I thought. My Pain Management set it up so it gives a gental massage. You put the electode pads around the pain and turn on the machine yourelf, which is battery operated, and it gives a nice massage where the pain is. It keeps the pain from entering your brain and that is what controls the pain. I use it on my back and knee and I can't believe the difference. You can leave it on as long as you want. My Insurance covers this and also replaces the battery and gives me new pads once a month if I need them. Sometimes external treatment is better then taking medicine, in fact I was told it could even replace pain pills.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: TENS MACHINE
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:18:28 PM »
I absolutely LOVE my TENS unit!! :)

I was prescribed one by my shoulder OS.  I had a nasty sledding accident this past winter, ending up with me having a SLAP lesion, along with some tendonitis of the rotator cuff.  This has been so great for pain relief!  When I have my bad days, I'm able to just slap it on, and I can even go to class w/o anyone noticing that I have it on. 

All in all, a VERY good investment! :) 

(I've tried it on the knees, seems to work pretty well too!)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
My husband bought me a tens machine prior to my tkr but it honestly didnt do anything for me  but I  think now the pain  was past help if you know what i mean ! ! I still have it and would try it for other stuff if i needed to .
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:39 AM »
I LOVE my Tens Unit!!! It has saved me quite a few times when I couldn't take any meds, but the pain was really bad.

Mandy,
I have worn mine to class countless times. Like you said, with jeans or long pants, nobody can see it! It's great!

It was a great investment!
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
The first TENS machine I had, I bought off the Internet and didnn't know a thing about them. I didn't even realize they were for pain. I thought they were just to get the muscles moving and strengthen them like in therapy. I don't think I had it set right and I really didn't like it as it was like elctrical shocks going through my leg and hurt.
This time the Pain Manaement ordered one and the Orthopedic Supply place where I picked it up set it up for me and he explained that he set it up as a gentle mesasage. He told me there were no rules as to where to place the pads, to just put them around the pain, not even directly on the pain. He said you can use it as long as you want, that there is no time limit.
The first time I put it on my back I couldn't beleive it. I could really feel it working on the sore spots and then after awhile I didn't even feel the sore spots. I do this when I get in bed at night and after I took it off the pain was almost gone to the point I wasn't even sure if I should take a pain pill or whether it would last all night, but it not only lasted all night, my back felt better for two days. I don't think I was using the other TENS machine right. It's much better if you have a professional explain things to you. I just bought one myself and experimented myself.
Then the pads were wearing and I didn't know where to find more or the right size for my machine. The pads were also smaller on the one I got over the Internet then they were on the one I got from the Orthopdeic Supply store, but the nicest part is my Insurance will cover it as it was prescribed by a Doctor and every month I get new pads and battery. Happy TENS  ladies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:59:09 AM by luckygrandma6 »
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:06:01 AM »
Okay, I'm deferring to the true experts here (my lovely partners in knee geekism!) but can you recommend a particular TENS unit? You've convinced me to try one & my doc will gladly write me a script but I'm  wondering if you all prefer one in particular?

Thanks much!

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:40:42 AM »
mayme, You take your script to an Orthopedic Supply place where they deal in equipment for pain management. Your doctor should know what you need. I didn't ask for anything particular, I just got the script, gave it to the man and he gave me a TENS machine for pain and set it up for me. Ask them to set it up as a massage. I'm not near my machine rigt now but I'll look and see what I have and get back to you. He told me my insurance company would pay for two sets of pads a month and a battery.
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992

Offline cwalukevich

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:30:30 AM »
There is a unit which is for nerve stimulation to get the nerves to re-communicate
with muscles--I have one it is a NEMS (neuro electronic muscle stimulator).
The TENS unit is for pain. Had one of those many years ago for back pain.
It did not do much I think because damage was too far gone.
I may still have it somewhere....

They do work though. Definitely have a professional set you up with it
so you don't power it up too high.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »
My shoulder OS wrote a script for me to get a SporTX that's put out by Empi products. 

http://www.empi.com/empi_products/detail.aspx?id=258
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
I'm going to agree with Mandy on the EMPI.  All of there products are superb.  They also have really great customer service, mine came with a couple of pre-paid envelopes to send it back to the company if it ever needed to be serviced.  You can also set up with them to have a fresh supply of electrodes delivered monthy.  In terms of set-up, have either your doctor (if they have experiance in it) or a physical therapist set it up.  PT have far more experiance with the units and in general can set it up better than a medical supply person. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
I proved my point last night. I was too lazy to hook up to my TENS machine for my back and put a heating pad on it instead. I hurt all night and this morning can barely move. When I used my TENS machine I had a wonderful night and woke up refreshed.
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992