Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Robin's TKR post-op diary  (Read 7520 times)

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Robin's TKR post-op diary
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well and as pain-free as possible.

Robin,

How did you appointment go?  Were you given any new options?

Kathy,

How have you been feeling?  I truly hope that you and no one you know was/is affected by the wildfires down in Australia.  I watch the news and want to cry for those people who have lost everything.  Do you know if there is there any websites set up to donate to them?

Hi Peg,

I'm sorry that you are going through a rough patch right now, but you are in my thoughts and prayers that everything should turn around for you quickly.

Take care,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
Hi Joni,

I assume that donations from overseas could be arranged through the Australian Red Cross...

http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

I hate to think of what it would be like to lose everything in a fire. All those mementoes, photos, kids drawings, all lost forever, not to mention those who have lost their lives.

Kathy

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2009, 01:38:28 AM »
Hi Ladies,
hope everyone is doing well and having a good weekend.

Joni How are you? hope your knees have settled a bit for you.

Peg enjoy your weekend touring colleges with your daughter. Very shortly we'll be starting to do the same. Our oldest is in 11th grade and starting to look at colleges. We went to our first college fair this past Fall. We hope to visit a few colleges this Spring. Take care.

Kathy The fires in Australia are terrible. Can't imagine losing everything,especially all the irreplacible items,photos, childrens momentums,etc. I hope you don't have any family or friends living in that area.It's good to hear that Alex and Jordie are enjoying their music and dance classes. Meredith accepts Jordie's apology about the email and will try to email her again.Thanks for asking about my OS appt. Meredith is finished with cheerleading until the Fall (football season). She just finished up with a session of indoor field hockey and will be starting softball in April. I've kept her out of gymnastics for this year to let her ankle heal. For now the ankle seems to be ok. She still c/o pain but very infrequently. During those times I give her children's tylenol or her prescription ibuprofen.She wears her ankle brace for any activities which running is involved and always for gym at school. The OS said that she may always have a problem with weakness in her ankles but it's something that we have to see about as she grows. It will be interesting to see how her ankle is once she's back in gymnastics in the Fall. She wants to take the tumbling class since it's pretty much in line with what she does as a flyer in cheerleading. I think that gymnastics is what really irritates her ankle.

Well had my OS appt. yesterday. Didn't receive the best news. Inspite of the waiting area not being full and the x-ray tech telling me that Dr. S was running on schedule we still waited an hour in the exam room to see him. Grant must have jixxed it by saying look we're in the exam room on schedule. I don't mind waiting for Dr. S because I know that he will spend an hour with me if I need the time. He looked at the x-rays taken yesterday and the MRI and said that the MRI shows that the condition of the hip is much worse than the x-ray indicates. I have alot of fluid around the joint along with cysts and cartilage loss.The hip is arthritic. He wants me to have another cortisone injection done under fluoroscopy,scheduled next Friday the 20th. Dr. F.'s ,who does the injections, scheduler squeezed me in, he's schedule a few weeks out. Dr.S said a replacement is a drastic step to take but he understands my condition and the problem with lack of sleep which is becoming worse. I'm also scheduled for a total hip replacement on March 23rd. He says if the injection works I can cancel the surgery. Everything is set-up I have a pre-op appt. on March 5th. Talked with my PT who said that she would be glad to rehab me.

I'm now second guessing my decision and wishing I would have asked some questions. Wondering if scar tissue formation,with my history of arthrofibrosis,could be a problem. Also wondering if the replacement will affect the osteotomy and cause that knee to need to be replaced sooner. Then again maybe I don't want to know the answers and should just deal with it as it comes along. I've been reading all the info. that I brought home. His nurse practioner says that most seem to have an easier recovery then with the knee. AT this point I'm just completely overwhelmed.

Have a good weekend and talk to you soon.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
Hi Robin,

I can understand you being completely overwhelmed! What a lot to deal with. I guess theroetically, the hip replacement shouldn't affect the osteotomy, if it's aligned correctly, but it may be worth a question to your OS. I imagine he would have said something if it was a problem, as he'd know your history. I'm pleased that you've got the surgery booked "just in case". There's nothing worse than to be told "wait and see what happens" after some intervention (injection, PT, etc) and then have to wait all over again for surgery to be scheduled - better to have the surgery scheduled and then cancel if it's not needed. I have also heard that hip replacements seem to recover better than knees. I think the hip is a less complicated joint. My PT certainly said that there are many more successful procedures that can be used for hip arthritis than for knee arthritis (resurfacing type things for example) - he said to me it's a pity my arthritis isn't in my hips as it would be more treatable!! Nice of him :P

Jordi was always a flyer in circus class, being so tiny. She loved it, though by the time she was standing on shoulders she was getting nervous about how high she was! I think she has emailed Meredith at her email address. I'll have to try to set Jordi up with AIM, whatever that is, if I can even work it out. All these new things can get me so muddled ::)

Peg - I hope your weekend went well. We are approaching high school selection at the moment - we have one more year to go before we really have to start going to open days at the local high schools. We get zoned to a particular one, but we can request to go elsewhere (though it depends on need and places available). Jordi wants to go to one that has a special entry for dance students - they audition to get a place in the dance program and they do special classes in dance, drama, and singing along with their selected high school subjects. There are only two public schools that do this, and both aren't too far from us, thankfully.

Joni - I'm thinking of you and hoping your knees are not behaving too badly.

Take care girls, and have a good week.

Kathy

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 04:40:06 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Sorry that it's taken so long for me to respond to your post. I've been reading posts but just haven't felt much like posting myself. Hope everything is going well for you and your family. Thanks so much for the emails. I really enjoy reading them and they certainly cheer me up. The kaola pictures were so cute. I think Meredith and Jordie have emailed each other. Meredith has an Aim account. She set it up herself. I'm not very computer savvy. Thankfully my kids are and they can help me.

It's getting late and I need to get some sleep. Hope you're doing well and we can talk soon. Take care!

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision