Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LR - A little over 3 weeks post op....  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
LR - A little over 3 weeks post op....
« on: August 06, 2003, 03:39:17 AM »
Bare with me everyone because this may be long.  I've tried posting a few times, but right before I send it the computer freezes or kicks me off of my internet server.  

I'm a little over three weeks from my thrid LR surgery.  I'm doing pretty good, having minor pains and bruising that keep popping up.  My skin feels all bruised so that if something rubs against it, I'm in a lot of pain.  I've been using the Polar Ice Machine for pain comfort and end up using it throughout the night to help me sleep.  Little did I know that I wasn't supposed to be doing that.  I was wondering why my knee was red, hot, and painful and it just may be from using the machine.  I told my therapist Monday that I use it throughout the night and she didn't even hint to the fact that  Iwasn't suppose to wear it.  I have patches of hard to the feel, red, and painful spots around the knee, under the knee cap and on the thigh muscle.  I have session two of therapy tomorrow, but because the place is so full I only see my therapist once a week.  I'm not sure how this will work, but I guess I'll see.  I'll keep you posted, but I'm still not able to manage this pain that crept up on me all of the sudden.  I stand up and it's almost as if I'm going to collapse in pain.  It just may be from all the immflammation, but I'm really at a loss.

Best wishes to everyone.  Thanks for everything and I'll talk to everyone later.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 11:09:25 AM by admin »
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: A little over 3 weeks post op....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 03:44:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that on my first therapy appointment my ROM was less that 45 degrees at the beginning of the session on my own and 65 with help.  By the end of the session I was 80 degrees and I could walk with my leg a little bent.  I was so surprised.  Now, she wants me at 90 degrees tomorrow.  "Give an inch, take a mile"...geepers, show a little progress and expect more excruciating torture the next time.  Sounds fun.  :)
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 05:43:42 AM »
Kris,

I can't believe your PT had nothing to say about using the polar care all night.  I got CHEWED out by two separate therapists for it!  Maybe you can call and ask your doctor about whether this could be contributing to the heat and strange rash?  In all, I think you've got enough questionable symptoms going on that seeing your OS soon might not be a bad idea.

I remember someone else--was it Rhea?--who also had a very strange and painful reaction to using ice for too long.  I know she had to stop sleeping with the cryo-cuff, too.  I find it very strange that your PT didn't say anything.

My pain management doctor said no more than 20 mins in an hour, my PT said 20 mins on and at least 20 mins off.  The common thread seems to be no more than 20 mins in a row with the ice on.

Maybe you should see what your doctor has to say.  This new pain and weird bumps you are describing sound distressing.  I know when Rhea had hers she was freaked.....

Take care and keep us posted.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 06:42:58 AM »
Hi Kris,

Your lr sounds on course with one of mine--but mine were so different that it is hard to compare notes.  Good luck in getting to 90 degrees.

My doc and pt have told me the 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off thing as well--and my pt only ices for 10 minutes at a time.

I am advocating more each day for calling the os when a question pops up--that is why they have the education they have--and they know our knees inside better than we do--lol.

Good luck, I hope you get to that magic 90 degrees!
Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 11:53:53 PM »
Hi Kris,

I had the same reaction from using my polar care machine all night, every night.  After a few days of that what will happen is that afternoon my knee will get very hot and red where the water cuff was and I develope these hard bumps that were kind of like mosquito bumps only bigger and painful.  Not a nice thing is it!  The cure....STOP USING THE MACHINE ALL NIGHT.  Try not using it all night or any longer then  30 mins at a shot and I bet you that the irratation on your knee will be gone in a week or so.  

Goodluck Kris!  

(((Hugs)))

-Rhea
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 11:54:18 PM by rhea »
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 01:31:29 AM »
Hi Kris,

I just wanted to add that I too have been told by both my PT's and OS that you should only ice for 20 mins on and 20 mins off. I used to get yelled at when I told my PT that I would leave ice on for almost an hour at a time. It sounds like you're doing pretty well with your ROM so far-good luck getting to the magic 90 degree mark!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 03:20:52 AM »
I asked my therapist again about using the polar care unit all night long when I went to therapy today.  She said I could go ahead and use it as long as I had protection between it and my skin and I turn it to the lower setting.  Now I'm not sure what to do.  I didn't use it last night, but was up most of the night.  

Kris
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline ktgrss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: LR - A little over 3 weeks post op....
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 08:42:53 AM »
If your bumps are little and red and persist, you could have an allergic reaction to the presurgery Betadine.  Mine did not develop for several days post surgery, but I got folliculitus from it.  All it takes is a little derm treatment and it goes away right away.

Good luck

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 09:11:50 AM »
Kris-

The main thing with the Polar Care is the amount of stuff that is between the pad and your skin.  After my last op, I was told to have it on 24 hours a day for the first 2 weeks, and even now, I can have it on for hours on end if I have a lot of swelling.  But, I have always been told to have al least a couple of layers of ace bandages between my pad and my skin which works really well as the bandages in themselves help with the swelling.

Depending on which Polar Care you have, there is also the option of adjusting the thermostat so that the pad is not as cold.  This also helps if you just have a thin layer between the pad and the skin.

My PT also confers with this since the Polar Care works great for my pain (much better than even Percocet).

-Heather G.

Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Jammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 02:17:59 PM »
Hi Kris - the redness and burning are what I've been told are ice burns by my PT.

I'm in a similar position to you, although I had a few <<ahem>> compications. This is definitely the hardest one I've had to come back from, but I'm at 95 degrees of motion now, 13 days post-original op, and 10 days post-second op. Grit your teeth and you'll get through it. Good luck !
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 02:23:23 PM by Jammy »
Left knee cartilage removal 1992, right knee cartilage removal 1997, right knee lateral release 26/08/03 with 3 haemarthroses in the first 3 days post-op. 4th procedure to clean up right knee 30/08/03

support