Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone not have successful MPFL?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Amanda82032

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Have you hugged your Orthopedic Surgeon today?
Anyone not have successful MPFL?
« on: July 30, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »
I know this is kind of antagonistic of this page, but I was wondering if anyone who has had a MPFL recon done had it fail? Was EDS a factor? What was the next surgical step? How did you know it failed and how long after it was performed did it fail?
18yo
Jan. 04=LR=R
Mar. 04=VMO Adv=R
Jul. 04=VMO Adv=L
Jan. 05=Chondroplasty=R
Jul. 05=TTT=R
Nov. 05=TTT=L
Jan. 06=Goodbye staple=R
Jul. 06=Patella ligament recon&shortened patellar tendon=R
Dec. 06=Goodbye staple=L
May 07=diagnosed w/EDS
Jul. 07=MPFL recon=R&L

Offline vmarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Anyone not have successful MPFL?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
I don't know if you are still checking this but I had MPFL surgery in Oct 08 and find that it was a mistake.  I do have benign joint hypermobility syndrome which could be characterized by one type of EDS.  I am looking for help in finding out what my next steps should be and am at a lost as to where to turn next.

Offline Amanda82032

• Forum Faithful
  • Have you hugged your Orthopedic Surgeon today?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »
Do you mind me asking why you feel it was a mistake?
18yo
Jan. 04=LR=R
Mar. 04=VMO Adv=R
Jul. 04=VMO Adv=L
Jan. 05=Chondroplasty=R
Jul. 05=TTT=R
Nov. 05=TTT=L
Jan. 06=Goodbye staple=R
Jul. 06=Patella ligament recon&shortened patellar tendon=R
Dec. 06=Goodbye staple=L
May 07=diagnosed w/EDS
Jul. 07=MPFL recon=R&L

Offline vmarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »
I've had previous knee surgeries on my right knee to help with reoccurring dislocations.  None of the procedures involved my MPFL.  I had my left knee surgery Oct 31, 2008 and have been having problems every since.  My knee now dislocates medially.  I didn't realize what was going on until this weekend when it continues to dislocate any time my leg is out of the immobilizer.  When I expressed this to my Dr., she told me that dislocations occur laterally not medially.  This was happening immediately following surgery and I didn't know what it was.  Now I do and now I am going to seek help from a Dr that performed a past surgery.  I only saw this new Dr because she was highly recommended.  She admitted that she may have done too much surgically.  Now my fear is that the MPFL is too tight (if possible) and that is why it is dislocating medially.

Did you have your surgery?  What other options have you explored?  If you do decide to have your surgery, make sure your Dr fully understands your condition.  I thought mine did and she did not.