Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 9 Year Old Daughter needing femoral osteotomy  (Read 23288 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: 9 Year Old Daughter needing femoral osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »
JoJoWez,

I know exactly how you feel. Lately when I wake up I feel like I am 80 and I am only 18. These crooked legs will do that to a person I guess. lol.  Dr. Teitge did my derotation in MI and he did an excellent job. My knee looked out of alignment too, but that is just because my femur was so twisted. When you find out the degree of rotation of your femur and tibia you'll have to let me know. i am curious. My femur was 67 degrees and my tibia was 35. A normal persons is supposed to be around 10-13 degrees. I don't have a copy of my CT, but Dr. T did an EXCELLENT job of explaining things. He is an expert on rotational deformities. My knees pretty much faced each other, and my legs have always been bowed. Now, at least my right leg is straight. lol. As far as activities go, I still have another surgery to derotate my left femur, and then 2 more surgeries to take out the harware. I am not sure whether I am going to get my tibia's done or not yet. I will make that decision after I am back to walking and being semi active. If they hurt, then I may have to have them derotated as well. Humph, these knees!!! lol!

Take care,
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline lucyloo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
i was just reading all the post and its so nice to know that people are like me out there,
i just had a rotational osteotomy of the right femur 6weeks ago.......and its driving me mad.....im just so impatient ahhhhhhh!!!! as im normally so active!!!!! im down to 1 crutch and in the gym everyday!!!!!!! to try n get some muscle back lol!!!! although i am quite enjoying the kate moss look haha!!! but please email me on [email protected] as its good to talk and to see if we all are in the same place.......get well soon every1, and u cant let these twists beat us ,
lucy

Offline musikxaddikt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 06:47:41 AM »
im happy to know that there are actually some people out there with similar leg conditions as me. The only other person i know with crooked legs like mine is my sister.
Right now im thirteen and my legs are crooked. They are supposedly they are not as crooked as an X but in that shape. My knees bend in at the middle, and its looks different then everybody around me, so I never wear shorts to school. My parents have talked to their friends about my legs, and my parents friends recommend surgery. My parents don't really want me to do surgery because there is a chance that my legs could get worse, but right now, they don't allow me to participate in sports.
Is there really a large chance of the surgery failing?
I really want my legs fixed and straight, but i'm afraid of that percentage of failure and not being able to walk again. My parents always remind me of that. I don't know what to do.

abbaroodle

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »
Did you guys get derotated at the proximal (upper part of the) femur?  Or closer to the knee? 

My doc thinks I have a lot of anteversion (though only about 32 degrees) and said if I continue to have trouble that would be his next step.  Obviously not one I would take quickly!!!!

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 04:15:49 AM »
I had an intertrochanteric external rotational osteotomy of my femur. Translation, my leg was cut and spun around near the hip. ;D
What kind of knee problems have you been having? Have you had any surgeries?
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

abbaroodle

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
Hi Cat,

Thanks for the super speedy reply!  That sounds exactly like what my surgeon described.

I confess.  I am a hip-gal in a knee forum.  I got here via a google search for femoral osteotomy.

I started having hip pain 2.5 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with a femoral neck stress fx.  I had surgery for that since it wasnt getting better on its own and am now the proud owner a big a$$ nail.  I had my hip scoped last Nov and just had it scoped again on Friday.  While I am trying to be optimistic about this most recent scope working, there wasnt that much to do during the scope (which is good and bad in my mind!) and the surgeon evidently told my mom if it doesnt help in 6 months the next step was to consider derotating my femur.  He had talked about this with me a couple times before so its not a shocker to hear it, but, as I am sure you can imagine, I am not so excited by the idea!

I know right now I need to focus on recovering and resting and all that, but its hard not to be several steps ahead!  Especially since I have a fair amount of time off now but will have very little time off, limited vacation and sick days starting in a few weeks. 

Glad to hear you are doing so well!  Again, thanks for the speedy reply!!!!

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
Abbaroodle,
What area of the country are you in? Is this your hip doc that suggested the femoral deroation? You are not alone on this board. I believe that Daisygirl also had hip problems. You might read some of her posts. http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=35793.msg276869#msg276869
 ;D ;D

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

abbaroodle

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 01:39:02 AM »
Hi Cat,

I am in the process of moving from Nashville, TN to Portland, ME. 

Yep, my hip doctor discussed how, due to my anteversion, he wasnt sure the surgery I just had on Friday would work.  And the derotation would be the next thing to consider.  Hasnt told me I need it for sure yet - nor have I agreed!!!  He would operate with a colleauge who is a ortho trauma guy.