Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: micro fractured--crutches  (Read 3484 times)

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
micro fractured--crutches
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
after undergoing microfracture is it normal to be given crutches ?.i ask this question as i underwent an arthroscopy in which the surgeon did some microfracture on my femur.when i woke up they basically give me some pain killers and printed sheet with two types of excercise on and told me if there was any problems to go and see my doctor.i tried to ask a few questions about what they had done but the nurse was obviously just there to discharge me.i was then told it was ok to walk and was chucked out the door.i have just had my review appointment with the surgeon who told me about the microfracture procedure which i had no idea they had done.i told him about the pain i am still in and he said it could take anything from 4 - 6 months to sort it self and advised not to kneel excetra for that time,surely that info should have been given as i left the hospital as i have been trying to carry on as normal at work and lifting heavy diving bottles for my hobby hoping the pain would eventually go.do you think i have undone all the surgeons work due to poor post op guidance

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: micro fractured--crutches
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »
Normally what I know crutches are prescribed after microfracture. But on the other side, every surgery is different. Maybe your spot was in one position not requiring crutches. Did you tell your OS about how you had continued on at work ?
If anything is unclear call back and have a chat. He is the one that knows your knee best.
I had pain a long time after microfracture.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
wil ask to speak to os on monday,just a bit confused that after six weeks he's now asking me to keep off it

Offline over it

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
This is my 3rd microfracture.  Was on crutches for 6 weeks for each time; non weight bearing status.  It does depend on the area that the microfracture was performed on as to your weight bearing status.  I had pain for weeks after my surgery, but it did eventually disappear.  I am very happy with my results.  Be patience.  Ask more questions with your OS until your understand what is going on with your situation.  Good Luck! 

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
tryed to ask questions to my os but couldnt get passed the seceratary.she looked at my notes and said i was ok for walking and loading the joint straightaway.os said it could take 4-6 mths to sort it self out so i think i will cross my fingers and hope the pain eventually goes and in the meantime carry on as normal as i can as per his instructions

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:43 AM »
company doctor wanted to see me yesterday,she took some notes and seemed to have a bit knowledge about microfracture. then put me onto light duties for 6 weeks and wanted to see me for a review after that .looks like my rehab is going to take longer than i expected

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:22 AM »
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
Andy, this will take while. Patience !!
Pain will probably subside by time. I had pain for a long while after, this gnabbing bonepain.
Hang in there. Good that you get on lighter duties.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:48:18 AM »
Hi Andy,

I had a microfracture repair of the tibial plateau (and i think something else. Femoral condyle or something) back in October '07. I was NWB for 6 weeks and then was using a cane until my leg was strong enough to walk full-weight bearing (during those 6 weeks on crutches my quad suffered a lot of atrophy).

yes you should have been told about EVERYTHING that was done to you during surgery before leaving the hospital. I didn't get my complete surgical report until a few weeks later (over here in Ontario canada you have to request it and it usually costs if you want a personal copy, but I got mine for free), but my OS came to speak with me in the recovery room to tell me exactly what he did. 

I'm hoping you didnt' do more damage by not knowing exactly what was done to you ASAP.  You deserve to talk to your OS. i'm surprised when I hear of people who say that they can't seem to get in contact with their OS. That's not right. No offence to the secretary, but you'd feel a lot more at ease (as would I ) hearing it directly from the OS.  Also, hearing that "it could take 4-6 mths to sort it self out " doesn't sound very clear to me. Were those your OS's words?? What does that mean "work itself out"?? Are you going to PT???

Keep us posted.

~Nevella :)

-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28:14 AM »
hi nevella,yes the os did use the words 4-6 months to sort it self out.i am not going to p/t as it wasnt offered . the os says he doesnt need to see me again unless i have problems.so i am taking it a week at a time and see how i have improved after 6 months then take it from there.

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:18:57 PM »
Hi andyw1,

As many on here will tell you, PT can help a lot! Especially when you seem to have an OS that says you'll be fine and to only call if something is wrong.  That's scary how you say you'll just see how it goes for the next 6 months. Do you have full ROM?? Do you have any other symptoms besides pain?? I just find it very strange for the nurse and OS to simply discharge you without asking any questions (and how they didn't tell you some of the things they did until later on).

It's up to you if you want to simply go it on your own for the next 6 months. But I dont' think that's a good idea (neither will most people on here). You said PT wasn't offered. Does that mean you're not covered at all?? You don't need a referral from your OS to get physio (i.e. if he says you don't need it, you can still go to physio clinic on your own and tell them what you had done and they will give you an assessment.....for a fee of course). i would suggest, even if it isn't covered, that you at least go see a physiotherapist once. They can give you exercises to do at home, etc. But for me I went to physio for a good 8 months after my surgery (but I also developed arthrofibrosis, so I had a lot of scar tissue and needed help regaining my ROM).

I just have a feeling that 6 months down the road you might have done more damage, all because you didn't go see a PT. Also, it just seems that your OS doesn't really care (the way they didn't tell you everything up front, and how they didnt' answer any questions after your surgery).

Good luck!
~Nevella :)
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline andyw1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
hi just an update on my dilema,its now 4 mths since they let me walk out of the surgical centre after my microfracture.all symptoms and more have returned.my company have got sick of me being on light duties so they have sent me for a private consultation(dont know if i mentioned i was from england and we have the good old nhs to look after us).the consultant took more xrays and another mri scan which i will find out about next week.after he looked at my notes and examined me ,i asked if i should have been fully load bearing straight after my op.  he said ABSOLUTLEY NOT ! and now thinks it needs to be done again with 6 wks on crutches and a further 6wks rehab.out of interest i googled my first o/s and was greeted by a newspaper cutting saying he was under investigation by the general medical council for lack of basic surgical skills and failure to keep patients notes right plus many other things and is now working under a page full of limitations. i consulted a solicitor yesterday.

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:14 AM »
Andy,

OMG I am so very sorry.  What kind of doctor would take such risks with people's lives and well-being?? He's under investigation for lack of basic surgical skills??? Wow! I'm sorry that now you're in worse shape than before.  And i'm still in shock that any doctor would let a patient be full weight bearing right after a microfracture surgery. And of course back then you just did what you were told (even if perhaps a voice in the back of your mind was telling you that it doesn't seem right).  Because you trusted your OS to know what he was talking about. Now here you are, most likely having to have another microfracture done, then more rehab.

I'm not sure what else to say. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad that you're contacting a solicitor. Although I know monetary compensation will not give you back the weeks/months of pain-free (cripple-free) living that you have been enduring and will be enduring for weeks to come.

Keep us posted, k? I'm so sorry....

~Nevella
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
Hi Andy

I too am in the uk, i had microfractures 2 years ago and was NWB for 4 weeks.  I find it almost unbeleivable that this OS had you walk out of there having done that.  Surgeons who do this op know that there is a protocol for NWB - yes the time of which does differ from surgeon to surgeon but even so.

Good luck with getting it all sorted.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Headache 0121

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »
Hi Andy

I am stunned - I really feel for you.. We assume in this day and age that surgeons' are to be respected and know their jobs. Are you able to divulge the original OS's name or what county you live in? I'm in the West Midlands under Sandwell Hospital.

D
May 2007 Arthroscopy & debridement (R)
May 2008 Microfracture and LR (R)

support