Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282764 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
16/02/18 Day 31 One Month Post Op

One month since my scope#3 and recovery so far are going really well the swelling is far less, went up the road today for the first time post-op. Did not go over the top overdoing it just around 100 yards up down the road and back again. The knee brace is annoying, not long now till it comes off so I can get my daily routine back into action again. Hope to drive soon after the knee brace is removed becoming more independent again.

Becoming restless and agitated as no one has offered to drive my mum and me out to a local cafe to have a change of scenery, she will be 80 in May. Going to celebrate her Birthday in Vienna for a long weekend break with the whole family. My mum has her left knee and hip replaced in 2016 with problems now with her right side and has had to do more work as I cannot use both my hands to empty and take the bins out and carrying items. Walking with two crutches makes it more challenging to do everyday simple tasks you take for granted until you are not so mobile.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:52:06 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
17/02/18 Day 32 Post Op

Starting to get restless and agitated after dropping my iPhone into the toilet on Thursday morning after getting up to save walking back to my bedroom slipping out of my dressing gown pocket that thankfully fell after I flushed while turning around. It's my companion at the moment stuck indoors playing games and chatting on WhatsApp. Did not write down my contact numbers and was arranging to meet up with my friend at my local cafe as he has a car one that takes me to Thursday's coffee morning. Now in a bowl of rice for 72hrs that ends tomorrow hope it drys the iPhone out and charges up ok?

Was a milder day so went out in the garden longer than usual for some much needed fresh air. Feel so untidy with messy long hair, putting on weight, not having a proper full body wash in the shower or bath. I know what I will be doing on Wednesday morning 28th February the day after my physio appointment a nice long warm bath nearly full having a long soak if I am able to get in and out of the bathtub ok.

The right hip pain is still coming and going with some anterior knee with swelling is normal coming up to 5 weeks post-op. Maybe need to ease back slightly easy at this stage to overdo it thinking the knee is ok feeling less pain can be deceptive. Having a restless sleeping pattern this week sleeping quickly before waking up in the early hours of the morning not able to get to sleep again. Not moving much during the day makes the sleeping cycle harder to get flowing throughout the night and lack of fresh air.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
18/02/18 Day 33 Post Op

Made the most of the milder weather conditions before another cold spell sweeps across this coming week going out in the garden a few times. Also went outside the front street walking up the road the opposite way to Thursday's stroll about the same distance 100 yards felt great going up pain-free, going back down is still painful with anterior pain around the 3 main incisions! Now know not to go down a slope so trapped as my mum's house in a dip as the road goes downhill, it not to bad going the route I took on Thursday with a road going to the left just around the corner that is nice and flat.

My iPhone 6 is still not charging up after 72 hrs in rice, one more attempt another 24hrs, if it does not work, can have it sent to a mobile technician that can fix water damaged mobile phones for just 34.99 that a great price on high star rating website. Contact runs out 11th March and will no longer have a contact that's a total rip off unless you use it constantly for texting and calling will buy a sim card deal package instead. All I need is wifi connection to keep in contact with family and friends that all use FaceTime and WhatsApp.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:53:56 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
19/02/18 Day 34 Post Op

Walked up the side road and felt the knee give out slightly with a small spurt of pain. It was nothing in compared to what it was 5 weeks pre-op to scope#2 after the physiotherapist made me do too much during the early stages of recovery. The right hip seems to flare up when I attempt to walk further, hoping it is the heaviness of the knee brace and limitation on hip strengthening exercises or the cortisone injection in April 2017 is starting to wear away?

Despite the slight setback have to get out of the house in the morning to get my iPhone 6 fixed as it that still as all my family photos on it and games apps I reached a high level. Will not burn money as my contract runs out March 12th, hope to get it fixed and will ask for my 40th Birthday money for an iPhone 6S Plus in December or might be lucky and hold down a job without having a disability discrimination that the last employers being too harsh and unjust by buying one myself.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
20/02/18 Day 35 Post Op

My first proper day out for iPhone repair trip going by taxi to the main town centre to catch the bus into Worcester taking the seat next to the emergency exit door that has more leg room. My mum has an OAP free bus pass and paid 3.50 return fare. The main bus terminal is right next to the indoor shopping centre where there is a mobile phone repair kiosk stall the others are too far to walk to. Had to wait 3 hours so had lunch and the library and shopping at Iceland. Have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for repair. Then got the bus and taxi back home again. The surface I walk over was nice and level under one level with more discomfort in the right hip than the knee.

Only one more week left with the knee leg brace, physiotherapy is at the hospital 27/02/18 @14:00 and be glad to see the backend of the brace that becoming even more annoying now I am more mobile. Prof Snow 1st post-op appointment is 07/03/18 @09:15. Hopefully this time next week will be my 1st evening without the knee leg brace. It feels heavy and restrictive, by not being able to do patella mobilisation and deep scar tissue massage hope the knee is not too stiff from the scar tissue are my only concerns after 2 AIR surgeries. My family say keep doing leg lifts raises to stop the knee from becoming too stiff! Just do not want to do too many with the weight of the knee leg brace putting extra pressure on the kneecap.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
21/02/18 Day 36 Post Op

Going out yesterday put more strain on my right hip than my right knee, it right inside the cam socket which came up positive on the MRI scan with a labral tear and bilateral cam lesions. Like I said before hoping once the knee leg brace is off I can start doing physio on the hip once again that I did daily pre-op to scope#3. Doubt will be able to do the neighbouring gardens this coming spring. The knee and hip played up when I did regular garden jobs, lawn cutting should be ok, if not can get a someone in the family to mow every 2 weeks.

RIP iPhone 6 was beyond repair, was not the 1st dunk into the water did it previously when having a bath with water splashing onto iPhone that worked again after 24hrs in rice. Since then said will never use it again in the bathroom then falls out of my dressing gown pocket. Purchased Apple iPhone 6 Plus Silver / White - (64GB) - Unlocked - Pristine Condition for 349.99 plus a plug and USB lead and headsets with a high star rated. It is a mobile repair warehouse that has various mobiles under different conditions from pristine to poor. Should find my lost photos since March 2016 on icloud. A no phone zone from now onwards in the bathroom and toilet.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:21:01 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
22/02/18 Day 37 Post Op

Taking it easier today not going out has reduced the right hip pain applying some deep heat after my daily hand wash. The knee brace strapping is starting to all over the place and be glad to see the back of it on Tuesday afternoon. Think I will still use one crutch while my right knee adapts to not be set at 90 degrees since the surgery. Gone really cold suddenly, do not mind being stuck indoors, tempted to go for an extended walk around my neighbourhood. know I need to be sensible and patient taking advice from my physio on Tuesday.

At least this time around coming up to 6 weeks post-op had no has jeopardised my 3rd scope and have not given in when I have been told could walker further now and do regular leg lifts. lifting with the brace is putting the strain on the 3 portals, will start doing more physio once the weight has been taken away from my right leg and knee.

[email protected] 

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
23/02/18 Day 38 Post Op

Was so bored today that my mum and I went on the bus to Birmingham City Centre that takes one and a half hours. Got a taxi to Droitwich Town Centre then bus into Birmingham stopping outside TK Maxx buying a pack of underpants then had a cappuccino at a cafe inside the Bullring Shopping Centre, forgetting how big it is until you have a mobility problem before getting the bus back. There is a seat on a single decor bus by the emergency exit that has more leg room so was not too bad being driven for a change. It breaks down the day and only cost 6.50 return and free for my mum passing the orthopaedic hospital that is on the bus route.

Did feel once a sharp shooting pain trying to find a cafe that was on the 2nd floor at the other end of the building. The hip pain is more noticeable when sitting down and not so much walking, wish I could walk further. I never in my life walked so little always walking a few miles most days to get some physical exercise and fresh air.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
24/02/18 Day 39 Post Op

After going out yesterday had a day indoors writing my book today that is going well, a good time to work on it while not so mobile that I hope helps others that have been or are in a similar situation I found myself in. With the new iPhone not delivered yet has made the last 2 weeks out of 6 more stressful not being able to communicate as regular with family and friends and playing on the games apps to pass the time.

Getting anxious about putting on more weight have always had a flat stomach until I could no longer do any more long distance running. Know as you become older can put more weight on that I know I can lose. My brother-in-law, I have known since the age of 4 will be 55 in May, he has always been skinny, was like him until my fall on black ice in January 2013, will be 40 in December.

Feel so unfit from March 1st will cut out fatty foods and no longer have sugar in my tea and coffee, have already cut down slowly from 1 spoon to half a spoon. Have cut out weekend fry-ups and only drink alcohol on special occasions. Swimming and hopefully cycling and gym workout to build up the tummy muscles from flab to hard muscles. Know it will take time to get to this stage that I determined to do once my knee brace is off and not using crutches anymore.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
25/02/18 Day 40 Post Op

Forty days and forty nights with only two more days to go till I reach six weeks post-op. Finally can get rid of the heavy black slipping knee brace on Tuesday afternoon, should be down to one crutch making life a lot more easy having one hand free again. Will resist having a bath and shower or Tuesday will wait until Wednesday morning after breakfast having a nice warm bath full of bubbles listening to relaxation music on my Bluetooth speaker making sure my new iPhone 6S Plus is in my bedroom well away from any the bath water.

It was a good time to recover from my 3rd scope watching the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games. Curling was something I was not into until this year's Winter Olympic and now really into it watching most of the matches live. Breakfast viewing in the UK with plus 9 ahead in Seoul in South Korea. Snowboarding and Skletelton were cool to watching more than The London 2012 Summer Olympics. I was more physically able and during the summer months, the last thing on my mind is being a couched potato watching TV on a warm summers day.

Enjoyed having a Sunday roast today at my sister's house with my mum, getting out of the house being fetched and dropped off was nice of my sister doing a 24-mile round trip.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
26/02/18 Day 41 Post Op

Less than 24hrs until my ROM knee brace is removed during the hospital physio appointment tomorrow afternoon, doubt they will say I need to keep it on longer. If I do need will ask to have a new one fitted. The straps are all over the place to the original position with bigger gaps on the top of my thigh with the foam fraying away with the stitching loosening up. No more feeling that there is a python wrapped around my thigh and calf.

Not sure if I will be able to drive the following day without any knee brace restricting my driving. Will soon know if I can or not. If I do will drive locally first increasing my journey once I feel confident to drive ok with my right knee. Still swelling at the bottom of the kneecap that I have been icing the knee 3 times a day post-op.

Not long now for my 1st proper bath, just one more morning left using washbasin full of warm soapy water using a flannel to wipe over my body. Reaching a big milestone in a slow recovery. Hope the knee does not end up being too stiff with my ROM stuck to 90 degrees for the last 6 weeks.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
27/02/18 Day 42 Post Op

My physio appointment ran 10 minutes late that's normal on the NHS and met the new physio she straight away told me to straighten the right knee when walking on crutches that are slightly bent out when I walk, have to remember to keep the leg straight. Had an assessment, the swelling has gone down well and now need to work on straightening out my knee to help fire up the quads that need building up again. Admit forgot to do that is not too much of a problem starting it from now onwards. Sliding my foot across the floor is going well and was pleased with how I was progressing. Maybe was being too cautious doing other exercises after what happened after my 2 previous scopes.

Now the annoying part, have to keep my knee brace on for another 8 days until next week Wednesday when I see Prof Snow. My physio was reluctant to take it off, wants to make sure it is ok before progressing without the brace. The ROM was going to be increased from 90 to 100 degrees but could not find an alan key to fit, forgot to bring mine. Been booked on the same day next week between 10:00 and 10:15 after seeing Prof Snow at 09:15. From then onwards should be able to progress with physio exercises. Not allowed to take it off at night or for a shower said I might slip and may struggle to get in and out of the bath. Eight days more is not that bad after putting up with it for 42 days it should fly by.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:12:39 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
28/02/18 Day 43 Post Op

Glad to see the backend of February with so many restrictions have been manageable thanks to my mum and family and friends support. Can now take a full body wash with hot soapy water in the basin. Can easily take the knee brace on and off ok that I was reluctant to do before seeing my 1st physio session. My only concern is my kneecap alignment could be better which is why she told me to walk more straight and to straighten out my knee out by pushing down on the hamstring until the quads tighten up. Anterior pain is still visible, early days of just over 6 weeks post-op, had a lot more done 3rd time around.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
01/03/18 Day 44 Post Op

With the big freeze hitting the UK shores I am staying well and truly indoors until the snow and ice have thawed. The big freeze in December 2012 and January 2013 sped up my right knee problems slipping on black ice directly onto my right knee. Have not able to run since that fateful fall! The arctic cold is highlighting my right hip impingement and will be applying some deep heat tonight before going to bed.

Walking with a bent leg due to the knee brace falling down onto the top of my knee, at a slight angle when walking keeps it up longer. Will, of course, walk with my right leg straightened once the knee brace is removed and no longer have what feels like a python wrapped around my thigh and calf!

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
02/03/18 Day 45 Post Op

Marooned in the house with deep snow drift in the midst of the big freeze beast from the east. Have not even ventured out into the back garden, crutches and snow will end a slipping and falling. I have been busy writing my book takes time as I tend to read the same pages 3 to 4 times perfecting it as I want to have it published by a proper book publisher. Anyone can pay a fee to self-publish their story so has to be perfect before sending it to be analysed. 

Until my knee brace is removed I am limited in the excercises, becoming a hindrance rather than aiding me. At least the weather is getting milder when I see Prof Snow in 5 days time next week Wednesday morning followed by my second physio session that should be more successful than this weeks session, keeping the knee brace on for an extra week. Not having an alan key to alter the hinge is poor at the main physiotherapist department. It is not going to eat into the NHS debts that you can buy from a DIY store for under a pound.

[email protected]ichSpaUK

support