Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282685 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
25/01/18 Day 9 Post Op

Part One:

Thanks for all your replies supporting, advising and guiding me through my 3rd right knee scope. I do realise I am partly to blame for the continuing knee saga overdoing it too early on post-op thinking I know best and that my right knee cannot get any worse. There are 2 other people to blame for ruining my 2 previous scopes putting too much strain on my knee during the early stages of recovery.

Scope#1 Was still working full time on a golf course as a greenkeeper that involves heavy manual labour that is part of the job not just sitting all day on a ride-on mower. Basically, my boss was a bully making me come into work even though I had a sick note from my GP for 2 weeks longer than originally thought. I told him to give me light duties, ended up shovelling top dressing in the yard into a neat pile! Here are the posts when I was forced back to work, sorry for all the spelling and grammar mistakes that have thankfully improved over the years. 

DAY 14:

Yesterday knee pain was not too bad and did my PT 3 times a day as Jinny instructed but the knee still swollen from Thursday shopping at Felixstowe. I took it easy yesterday by not being too much on my feet so read a book and watched TV.

DAY 15:

This morning I had my stitches removed at my GP Pratice by the Nurse who said to rest it as much as you can until swelling goes down. I then handed in my sick note to my Boss at work and wish I never went in and just handed it into the main office. As Kirsty will know was stupid and let my Boss on as a Facebook friend but then deleted him about an hour lator after discussing it with Kirsty as its personal what you put on Facebook and would not accept anyone from work as a Facebook friend.

I had to go into his office just because I deleted him of Facebook and told me I drove to Ipswich which is 170 miles so should be able to go back to work. He read on my FB that I can now drive and feel more indpendant but never mentioned I drove to Ipswich as my Mum drove for me. I cant find my post about my driving but certain I did not mention driving to Ipswich what I posted after I arrived at Jinnys was that I am now near Ipswich staying at my sisters house for a few days.

My Boss accused me of lieing by saying I did not drive to Ipswich when I posted it on FB and thats why I deleted him and told me you deleted me as you saying stuff against me and asked me why I deleted him but just said FB is  personal and would not allow him or any others from work as a FB friend. I then had to drive him to the General Manager to explain myself why I want another week off work and lied about not driving to Ipswich as I did not lie and my Mum drove me so told them both can asked my Mum if I drove to Ipswich as she drove and would never lie.

I now been forced back to work tomorrow morning doing light duties and can mow the rough thats does not need doing as there is no grass growth as it was only 2oc this morning and ground is very wet so would get the mower stuck in wet areas. Can also do work in the shed but would be on my feet all day and would not rest my knee. When I handed in my sick note I was told should have handed it in on Tuesday last week when the GP wrote it out but its dated to come back to work on 7th December so nothing wrong handing it in today for this week.

If I am fit to drive I am fit enough to work which is wrong and upset and pissed off about it as they think my knee ok and never had a sick day in nearly 4 years and when I do get a lot of stick was even told they could sack me which is not right.

Nick :) {2009} :)

DAY 17:

Yesterday I celebrated my 31st Birthday and now starting to feel old when I walk into bars and pubs when I see people in their late teens and early twenties. The day was ruined by having to go into work and was made to clean the mess room toilet and urinal and mop the floor and clean out the microwave as there were no jobs for me to do outdoors and would have been better of at home. The job I was given after breakfast was rolling greens on a ride on mower but had to get up to put the green flags in and out of hole cup and had my knee at a certain angle that did not feel comfortable.

I then went home at 3pm when we finish work and drove to my mums house and opened my presents and cards before heading off to Birmingham City Centre to the Frankfurt Christmas Market and enjoyed a glass of gluvine and met up with people I met when I was staying at a hostel during my mental breakdown in 04/05. I felt pain in my right knee after a while so headed back home but by the time I got back had to head off to the chinese restaurant so had no time to ice the knee. I told them all about being made to go into work even when I had a sick note from my GP and they all where appalled by the way the golf club are treating me. When I stepped out of the car got sharp pain in the knee so was not a good thing to be at work all day.

I met up with my mum and two best mates and had a chinese buffet for 12 per person and includes starters, main course and puddings and can eat as much as you can manage. I went up twice for starters and had sweet and sour chicken and crispy beef for main course. We discussed about what happenend at work and they all say I am crazy to go into work when my GP signed me off sick till 7th December and even was told I could do long term damage to my knee and ruin my knee for life and lose my job but maybe thats a little drastic and wont really happen.

DAY 18:

I was stupid enough to go into work again and had to check the course and change the markers over and empty bins while another greenkeeper trimmed the hole cups which I would have done but thankfully did not have to do it which involves squating.

After breakfast my boss could not think of a job for me to do so asked him if I can take a day off as a holiday as I have 8 days left till the end of march but said no so ended up cleaning the concrete yard with a petrol leaf blower on my back which caused pain and discomfort in the right knee. It hurts the other greenstaff knees if they use it for too long so is crazy to be using it 18 days after surgery and knee swelled up more as I could feel knee becoming tighter around the tubigrip.

Now knee more painful and swollen and took 2 200mg of ibuprofen tablets and 2 200mg paracetamol but had no time to ice my knee as I had to do some food shopping and used up the bag of frozen sweetcorn so had nothing in the freezer to ice the knee. I am now on the internet in the library till 6pm and then have to go to the golf club at 7pm for a Christmas party and will have a meal but have to spend a few hours with my boss and cant really say I wont come as the other Greens Staff are going with their wife and partners so will have to go so wont being able to ice my knee again.

My knee now hurts to bend which did not happen before and really annoyed and upset about it and hope I have not ruined my knee that Mr Green fixed up for me. I think he would be disgusted if he knew what I was doing at work along with my GP who advised me to take this week off and rest my knee even the nurse who took the stitches out said need to rest the knee but ignored them all and paid the price with a even more painful knee.

Nick :) {2009} :)

The above previous posts clearly show what a bully my former boss was, left in April 2012 due to bullying from him for being autistic and not taking in information fast enough so thought I was taking the mickey out of him. Got his revenge back making me do heavy manual labour and walking all day on the golf course! He said I cannot be trusted using the tractor and utility vehicles, ended up cleaning the kitchen and toilet in the staff mess room.

I was too afraid to stand up for myself a typical Asperger's trait so allowed him to bully me daily ruining my knee even more! Also, do not see dangers or think I am invisible ignoring the knee pain. I am hypo sensitive (undersensitive) to pain not feeling it as much as others, pounding my knee too much inflicting long-term damage by running through the knee pain before scope#2 injury occurred.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:46:00 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Part Two:

Scope#2 Knee felt great 5 weeks post-op until my session with a new physiotherapist that pushed me too hard! Knee felt ok up until my fateful PT session and was making a good recovery without any major concerns. 

23/08/14 Day 36 Post Op

I am not happy to push myself with physio as I was able to walk around my local neighborhood block for the last 2 weeks without my right knee given out or hardly giving out. 

I was walking around the block yesterday and my right knee gave out in a dramatic way as it jolted/collapsing down that was clear to see with pain and discomfort! My right kneecap is still taped up and will be removing the bandage tomorrow morning.

It hard knowing what is right and what is wrong as one has to be forceful at times to break down the scar tissue as many others that have had PT on their knee or other joints say it a painful process and often come back feeling sorer then at the start of the session.

I know having clunking in the kneecap is normal 5 weeks post up and since doing the squatting 2 weeks post op and now the PT the clunking is more noticeable then before my PT session. Feeling more pain/discomfort, this was not as intense before.

Hopefully it just post an op problem that takes a while to settle down again as I know that AIR surgery can go 50/50 either way that I suppose applies to all knee surgeries that can work or not work for each patient. If the same portal from scope #1 is opened up again then logically there will be even more scar tissue formation!

I need to be fit for September to carry on doing courses and volunteering for good causes and would like to be more flexible rather then limping around still.

[email protected]

25/08/14 Day 38 Post Op

I have had a brief chat with my sister who is an orthopaedic nurse and say it important to keep on top of the PT to get the quads firing again.

I do think my new Physio made me do too much in one session. I know he was overworked as he was overbooked seeing other patients while I was at the gym and doing 5 sets of 30 squats and leg raises 5 times was too much! Ending the session lying on my front and lifting my right leg right up to my buttock!

I can take pain well with a higher pain tolerance and forcing my leg by bending it through uncomfortable pain was a bit drastic and less then 5 weeks post op! I know he was under pressure as he was going away on holiday on Friday as it the Bank Holiday weekend in the UK and does not like to turn away patients.

It a great shame that my usual Physio is away overseas as he was less aggressive when I had problems with scope #1 doing friction massage therapy and massaging quads with oil and using a ultra sound machine with gel and not a full gym workout.

I think many Physios out there do not know much about Arthrofibrosis and not to overwork the knee if the patient is prone to scarring! I think forcing my knee through the pain has not helped, I hope it has not caused scar tissue to return!

Pain is more intense around the medial portal and my mum thinks I should see Mr Snow, I am happy to wait as I am visiting my sister on Wednesday. She is working next day at the hospital and could maybe could ask her OS during a break my type of surgery and brief history and my symptoms and if I should get it checked or will it go away with rest?

nickwclarke2014BhamUK 

Again was overruled allowing him to push me through extreme pain instead of saying to him please stop it really painful doing calf leg raises beyond the pain barrier forcing it right up to my buttocks while lying on my back was agony! After the session, the following day knee gave out with intense pain that I never experienced after scope#1 and my latest scope#3 that is still very early days.

Do realise I am also to blame for overdoing it by being too stubborn by not listening to good advice and guidance over the year from members of KG and the medical professionals. Realise I can never turn back the clock again. Even now during the early stages post-op being told not to be too cautious once my knee has recovered from surgery doing regular gardening jobs again

I am easily influenced what other suggest and think. Today was given a funny look from a family member when I said I think from now onwards will decline taking up heavy boxes up and down the stairs at the charity shop and only will stick to doing 2 gardening clients instead of 8 once my knee feels ready to do some light gardening duties. Hard to please everyone being told I am overdoing it or being too cautious is confusing and frustrating for me. Not upset with any members that have posted on my dairy over the years you have all been helpful and understanding and thank you for taking the time to reply back again.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:46:43 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Hi Nick! It's been a while but I remembered you were coming up for surgery and wanted to check in. I'm glad to hear all went well this time, in spite of the difficulties finding out what you'd actually had done. Given the extent of the work done your surgeon obviously found some areas to correct, and I will keep my fingers crossed that these lead to an improvement in your knee condition.

I can't emphasize enough what others have already said: be ultra cautious this time. If you read up on anterior interval releases, in order to be successful an extremely conservative rehab regime must be followed. This is why you have the brace and the extensive period NWB. It's not uncommon for it to be several months post-surgery before you can begin any kind of strengthening. Your surgeon must be the one to dictate what you can do and when, no matter how experienced a family member giving you advice may be. Your first anterior interval release failed because you were given poor advice and tried to do too much too soon - don't let that happen again. You don't have to try and please anyone else on this; they may have good intentions, but they don't have to live with your knee. Think of all the frustrations you've endured over the past few years; this is your best chance of achieving a more functional knee, and not having to live with those limitations in the future. It's not selfish to prioritize that. In fact, in the longer term you can do more to help other people if you focus on your own needs now.

I wish you the best of luck. The physical rehab is only half of it - you need to be strong and push back against anyone who encourages you to resume activities that risk compromising your longer term recovery. Check in with your surgeon if in doubt. I really hope that you come out of this with less pain and better mobility.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
26/01/18 Day 10 Post Op

Will reply to all the recent postings instead of an updating on my scope#3 post-op diary in reverse order. The knee so far feels ok ten days after surgery, my sleeping pattern is back to normal feeling less physically and mentally drained out, pain level is manageable. Only get up once at night to get up to circulate the blood back to my feet that are mostly cold by being less active, drink two glasses of water after a visit to the toilet. 

Snowy, Nice to see a familiar KG member response, it been a while since you last posted on my dairy always giving sound advice, guidance and moral support as you have always done over the years. Being ultra cautious from now onwards is the only option or will wreck my right knee beyond repair. Thought I would never end up in such a situation with the labral meniscus repair! Now realise my right knee needs to be treated with respect and dignity by not putting unnecessary strain on it or will be back to square one with even more damage to the knee. Will be a long slow progress to go through and will resist anyone trying to encourage me to push my knee too far. Extensive surgery was done during scope#3 reality has hit me finally realising my stubborn attitude thinking everything will be fine cannot be that bad my knee MRI scans are coming up mainly negative. 

A lot about healing is a positive mindset, if you're expecting the operation to not work then its probably not going too, positive thinking is a powerful tool! Listen to the protocols that have been put in place and remember that things take time, don't write yourself off yet!

Kaelyn, Great advice and attitude, I have always had a positive attitude until after my 3rd scope in 8 years realising that I can no longer do activities that will aggravate and flare up the knee! Running on a hard surface this time next year if I was able to would cause havoc with an arthritic right hip and knee is asking for trouble. Will take time to heal as long as I do what the experts advise me to do should see some improvements. Having less pain and walking long distances at a reasonable pace would satisfy making me feel happier.

Ref the car Nick...you realise an automatic still has the accelerator/brake pedals on the right. It's only your left knee that gets a rest as there's no clutch pedal.
So changing your car to an auto won't do much for your right knee if that's what you're thinking :)

Vicky, Always come up with logical thinking in your replies to posts on KG, makes sense to stick to my manual gearbox until something goes wrong with the left side joints when I am older and wiser. By then might prefer an automatic gearbox even if my left joints remain ok throughout my lifetime.

Chester57, I needed a reality check from someone on KG, glad you have been open and honest and straight to the point with me. I do not mind constructive criticism as you have experienced a lot of setbacks with your long history of knee problems and experience with arthrofibrosis know how it can wreck the knee. Do not like to see others not taking care post-op thinking they be ok and suddenly recover miraculously without any further complications and further surgery that increases scar tissue speeding up arthritis in the knee. From now on will do what I am told by the professionals with slow and gradual progress instead of trying to speed up the process my way! It will never work out right and have learnt the hard way.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:47:52 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
27/01/18 Day 11 Post Op

Thursday afternoon physio appointment for my right knee was for the right hip impingement after a referral from the Hip OS when I saw him in December last year. A look of surprise on the face of the physio seeing my right knee in a brace. It more like a community health centre than a hospital with a minor injuries unit that not so alienating as Birmingham Royal Orthopaedic Hospital. The physio was really nice and did not feel so rushed as I did back in Birmingham with a more personal quality of care showing passion and keenness with a university student studying to become a physiotherapist being mentored by my new PT. Have been given a sheet of gentle PT exercises putting less strain on my right kneecap than the previous physio that got me doing single-leg hip thrust putting pressure on my right knee! despite saying to her have a history of right knee problems and chronic patella tendonitis. Need to be cautious from now onwards with physiotherapists. The one I am seeing now knows I need to take it slow and gradual not overdoing it too much.

After the appointment, I went to Asda to buy another pair of tracksuit bottoms for 10 mainly to wear in the house with the brace on the outside of the tracksuit bottoms. It so annoying as it keeps slipping down putting pressure on my kneecap! Did not overdo it walking was dropped outside the entrance and exit and collected again by one of my 6 sisters. Would be right at the very bottom of the supermarket the men's clothing section. Knee did start to ache the last few steps near to the tills so sat down on one of the seats beside the main entrance.

My sister kindly soaked my portal dressings in warm water when I got back home again removing my brace carefully placing my right foot in an electric foot spa of warm soapy water to clean my around the rest of my right leg soaking the portals with plain water. It soon came off with ease and the incisions look great no signs of infections or oozing, very neat and tidy job, happy to share the end result in two attachment photos.

Had my 1st hair wash post-op over the kitchen sink with my mum pouring warm water over my head as I leaned my head forward over the kitchen sink. It took less than 10 minutes from start to finish. The last time I had my hair washed by my mum was over 33 years ago aged 5 to 6 years of age. Needed to lean on something solid or would have done it myself resting my arm on top of the kitchen worktop the ideal comfortable height and could keep my t-shirt on without getting it wet. Might go for a haircut and shampoo that will be a first for me, I always had a dry cut at the barbers would be nice to give my hair the full monty treatment with a head and neck massage afterwards.

Pain is good if I avoid using the stairs too many times, using the stairs twice a day getting up and going to bed for now. It is the pressure when the knee brace drops down that also contributes to the pain. It feels like a python is wrapped around my calf and thigh muscles!

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:48:50 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
28/01/18 Day 12 Post Op

Sleeping well taking fewer meds now that the pain has become less intense.

Paracetamol 500mg tablets - two tablets three times a day
Ibuprofen 400mg tablets - one tablet two times a day
Dihydrocodeine 300mg tablets - one tablet once a day
Senna 75mg tablets - none ran out, my digestive system is functioning as it should be once again

Should I be taking ibuprofen three times a day the maximum dosage one can take in a 24hr period? Leaving out the paracetamol altogether taking dihydrocodeine tablets once a day in the evening before bedtime that helps to give a good sound sleep with 1 ibuprofen tablet.

After breakfast 2 paracetamol tablets, 1 ibuprofen tablet
After Lunch 2 paracetamol tablets
Before Bed 2 paracetamol tablets, 1 ibuprofen tablet and 1 dihydrocodeine tablet

Icing the knee a few times a day to reduce the swelling, would it be better to take 3 ibuprofen 1 tablet after breakfast, lunch and dinner, in the evening before bedtime take 2 paracetamol tablets and 1 dihydrocodeine tablet?

The knee brace is really annoying keeps slipping down all the time, with the velcro straps changing position all the time going over the ROM altering metal bar that has become frustrating and annoying driving my mum and I insane having to alter it all the time. Beagle Orthopaedic Bea Rom Post-Op Brace is the manufacturer that been a nightmare since the outer dressing was removed. When it was fitted looked way to big with the physio cutting away lots of the black padded foam to make it a tighter fit.

http://www.beagleorthopaedic.com/products/knees/BEA-ROM

https://www.3fivetwomedishop.com/knee-leg-hip-supports/197-breg-t-scope-premier-post-op-knee-brace-08814.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhrbTBRCFARIsACY7MW3sIYkfh7-UuLvB7QSsOuSn4hs1KAjgQv6Mu9x8MlMrUbdPBuNMTV4aAtTLEALw_wcB

I agree with Chester57 that it is not a good idea to overrule Prof Snow by changing the knee brace with the one my sister has given a Breg T Scope Premier Post-Op Brace Should I pay to see a private physio, or go back to the hospital with the new brace asking if they could fix it for me to be on the safe side. Putting it down on my medical notes so Prof Snow knows that the brace has been changed. It better if the brace does not slip directly onto my kneecap adding pressure and discomfort that could hamper the healing process.

Attached are the photos showing how obscured the original the Beagle Orthopaedic Bea Rom Post-Op Brace is right now, and the new Breg T Scope Premier Post-Op Brace that still in the packaging ready to for unpacking and fitting. Another 4 weeks is going to be frustrating with the problems faced with the post-op brace fiasco.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:42:12 PM by Clarkey »

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
Nick- i do not think that you should have any doctor other than your surgeon decide if your knee brace can be changed. Only your surgeon knows how he performed each of the surgical procedures that were listed and what unlisted procedures were also performed. If you are really that unhappy in the brace, call your surgeon's office.

I think the pain meds at this time post surgery should be only as needed. If you are not in pain, cut back. Stop the opiods first. I don't think you should need to be on a pain pill schedule. Take the meds only if you need them.

Be careful using crutches on the stairs. I never could get the hang of going uo and down stairs with crutches. I went up and down on my butt only. Make sure you only put a bit of weight on injured leg and never full weight yet. Try to limit shopping and socializing walking trips. It is too easy when your arms get tired from crutches or if you slip to put full weight on your leg. You are already through two weeks. While annoying, the next four will go by too. Try to limit weight on the leg to 50% (or more or less depending on your surgeon's definition of partial weight bearing). Be patient and try to stay positive. I hope your knee will feel a lot better after your recovery.
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline kaelyn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
try using cohesive bandage on the outside of the brace just under your knee, wrap it all the way around, I found this helped when I was in an immobiliser brace, just seems to help it grip more. I agree that you shouldn't be changing your brace without talking to your consultant, yes it may be uncomfortable but that's what has been fitted and they wouldn't be deliberately trying to make you suffer.

I also agree on the point of not using pain meds unless needed, slowly taper them down, starting with the stronger ones first, if you can manage on just the otc ones it is much better for your body.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
29/01/18 Day 13 Post Op

Kristin, I will try and persevere with the original knee brace as you already pointed out will be 2 weeks post-op tomorrow with only another 4 weeks until my next physio appointment on Tuesday 27th February at the same hospital I had my 3rd scope. They should remove the knee brace during the appointment. I have cut back on the meds taking 3 ibuprofen tablets three times a day that controls the pain and hopefully reducing the inflammation. If I cut out altogether pain starts to come through behind hamstring and bottom of the tibia. Cut out dihydrocodeine last night with 2 paracetamol pills instead, slept really well with Ellie my cat sleeping beside me for part of the night.

kaelyn, Nice to have a new face to my post-op diary, will start to look at your posts and advise and support if I am able to help in any way. The post-op diary section has slowly been declining members posting on a regular basis. It easy to give advice if you have been through the same surgeries or knee problems. Kristin suggested wrapping a cohesive bandage inside the knee brace that worked better but was none cohesive. Will ask my sister to buy one on her way over tomorrow to take my mum and I to a farm shop and cafe set in a pictures Worcestershire village. Will give it a try on the outside of my cheap Asda trackies do not mind if the material gets damaged slightly.

Not sure if I should start to venture out of the house instead of having a walk around the back garden for much needed fresh air. My mum's house is at a bottom of a dip in the road going up a steady slope that with a gentle incline to the local newsagent at the top of the road that is only a 5-minute walk away adding 2 to 3 minutes with my slower walking pace with 2 crutches, going back down might be risky as knee gave out slightly today! Would it be more sensible waiting until the 6 weeks post-op period is over by taking a short walk inside the farm shop with my mum and sister with the cafe attached to the shop tomorrow instead?

Have just done my biography introduction for the book chapter I have written with my respondent for the book launch in Southern Ireland in October 2018.

Nick Clarke is an autism awareness advocate campaigning for fairer treatment and better understanding towards autistic individuals that find themselves involved in The British Justice System. Nick has a specific interest in equal access for autistic individuals that are unfortunate enough to find themselves in police custody, courts and prisons.

Have been killing the time writing my own book about the above with my own personal experiences that I hope to get published as a book.

Taking part as a guest speaker at The National Autistic Society Conference in April, hope I do not freak out too much with an expected crowd of 1000 plus!

https://learn.autism.org.uk/ehome/index.php?eventid=200174992&

If it goes ok with the stage nerves, is not too much of an issue might look into getting paid to do public powerpoints presentations about autism and the Criminal Justice System as a part-time job? Largest crowd so far was only 60. Been told to focus on one spot and pretend that everyone in the audience is naked :o every public speaker has a different type of coping mechanism.

Exploring the
experiences of autistic
individuals in police
custody: findings from
a police custody
learning exercise

Chloe Hocking
University of
Nottingham
and
Nicholas Walter Clarke
ERC Voices Project

Have enough to keep me occupied for the next couple of months.

[email protected]

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
Just remember that you are partial weight bearing to protect the work that your surgeon did as your body heals in this early stage, it is not just about protecting you from feeling pain. if your knee dislocates it could not only ruin the meniscus repair, but could be the start of scar tissue returning to the patella tendon area - just as early dislocation was a warning after previous surgery that you were doing too much and surgical results were being ruined after your PT had you do too much.

You need to find another hobby or interest rather than walking for these next 4 weeks. Partial weight bearing post surgical patients do not walk for exercise. They walk with crutches as need to get from one one place of sitting to another. Bring a chair out back that you can use crutches to walk to and get your fresh air that way. Work on more of your writing as you sit outside, read or do puzzles. Post surgical time is a very boring tedious time for every patient. As you learned the hard way in the past, pushing too fast or doing too much shortly after surgery can actually ruin any good that the surgery could have done for you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:50:16 PM by kcknee »
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
30/01/18 Day 14 Post Op

Two weeks post-op is done and dusted just another four weeks until I can finally bin my knee brace hopefully after seeing the physio on Tuesday 27th February. Been taking it slow and easy with a trip out to the farm shop with the cafe in the same building that also has a locally produced butcher all on one level. Had a light lunch then headed to my local cafe I go to regular while my sister and mum went food shopping while I sat at the cafe for one hour taking it easy.

If you want to kill time and are bored and are into flight simulator games apps I highly recommend Flight Pilot and Flight Alert that are both addictive and fun to play. My best friend came to visit and stay the night with my 1st get well soon card that was very kind of him. I am being picked up to go to a local weekly bingo that is a small group with small winnings that is more for a social gathering having a laugh and good time together than gambling. Very caring and lovely people that I have not seen since the second Tuesday in December with a long Christmas break that started again on my surgery day two weeks ago. It not too much walking set in a community hall run by a housing association for the over 60s apartments in the same cul-de-sac. 

Krisitin, Thanks once again for making me put my sensible brain into gear as I do not want to ruin my 3rd scope even if I the knee is feeling ok most of the time. It all history now what happened after scope 1 and 2 and cannot turn back time. Would have been nice to sue the golf club for making me work with a sick note cover from GP. Medical negligence for the physio that needs to be done within a certain timescale, unless several patients come forward with serious complaints? Still not entirely at fault think after the two bad experiences gave in and neglected my knee surgery that been ruined so might as well continue, which was not a great attitude! Now finally realise have to be cautious from now onwards.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:04:47 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
31/01/18 Day 15 Post Op

Admit defeat in the battle of the knee brace getting used to adjusting the straps and height that has now become part of my daily routine. Still washing my body using warm soapy water in a wash basin with a flannel and able to wash over my whole body apart from my right leg from my thigh down to my foot. If I was in a relationship would get my girlfriend to help me in and out of the bathtub. Lying in the tub taking off knee brace with the back of my right leg safely resting flat then filling the tub with warm water, once the bathwater has been emptied can dry the right leg before placing back the knee brace to safely step out of the bathtub. Baths can become slippery with a shower a safer option to go for. Could improvise a waterproof coating over the knee brace wrapping heavy duty black refuse sacks that were in a topic of discussion on KG.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52371.0

Could sit down in my mum's shower in her ensuite bathroom with a folding down plastic chair that has a detachable shower head and an electric start/stop button by the door with shower curtains to slide across for privacy. Did this with my younger nephews when they visited, felt scared and nervous alone in my mum's ensuite bathroom. Showering in privacy with the added reassurance knowing someone is in close proximity to the water using the electric on/off button by the door frame as you walk into the bathroom. The previous owners were both disabled, one was in a wheelchair, all the electric power sockets are above waist height in my mum's bedroom.

Or can carry on having a hand and flannel body wipe over saving money on the water meter reading for another 4 weeks. Will feel special when the knee brace is removed having the 1st shower will feel fantastic after 6 weeks of no warm water running down my skin and hair will feel unique and special. Like the knee brace have got into the routine of a body wash every morning after breakfast. First brushing my teeth then a wet shave, finally a body wash with the wash basin filled up with warm water mixed with Lynx Africa shower gel feels refreshing in a different type of way in comparison to showering and bathing.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:26:55 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
01/02/18 Day 16 Post Op

A new month knowing by the end of February will hopefully be more mobile again. I am not getting my hopes up that I will be driving around straight after the knee brace is removed on the 27th February if the recovery continues to be positive. Still icing the knee three times a day, can now visually see that bruising coming through behind and side of the knee going all the way up the shin bone. Bruising takes time to go away and never had the bruise going up the shin that must be due to the work that was done around the tibia where I was experiencing the majority of the pain and discomfort. In fact, the knotting sensation at the bottom of the tibia is no longer there if I press in the same spot post-op.

The attached photos showing the bruising coming through can clearly see the pressed in indent mark from the knee brace. the seam from my tracksuit bottoms pressing against the top of the kneecap that keeps on falling down and might try out wrapping a cohesive bandage inside the knee brace as suggested by Kristin and Kaelyn. It is too easy at this stage post-op to overdo it walking more in the house and garden that is natural that I have to cut back on. Ignoring the temptation when others tell me it good to walk as much as like to stop scarring up. Got a sharp pinch in my knee so will be sensible throughout February. Even the new physiotherapist said to me last week Thursday can walk as much as I like! Why I walked in ASDA last week, thanks to Kristin post to take things slow and easy 15 days post-op is still early days.

Will also cut back this season on the number of gardening jobs sticking to just two clients my next door neighbour aged 87 and lady in her 70s within walking distance up the road from my mum's dormer bungalow. Living in a small town the local people are all really friendly and helpful asking my mum and I if they can do any shopping. Buying milk and visiting for a tea and coffee is a nice feeling having caring neighbours along the road.

The days are over lifting heavy garden bags of heavy rubble and machinery and landscaping that I was good at doing in a methodical neat manner. My last landscaping paving and edging photo last year January in my mum's back garden why I was in high demand that now history or will totally wreck my right knee beyond repair!

[email protected] 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:26:26 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
02/02/18 Day 17 Post Op

After close examination of the three main portals around the bottom of my kneecap, the stitches that are meant to be absorbable even says it on the Discharge Report that has already been amended after putting down I had right shoulder surgery instead of my right knee surgery mixing me up with another patient in the same ADCU ward. Sutures in situ, Absorbable, N/A? The stitches feel hard like nylon similar to what you would use for fishing. If I tug the stitches gently feels well embedded into the incisions, the fourth top cannula portal is nice and smooth without any stitching that has obviously dissolved. Scope#1 had to have the stitches removed by the nurse at my GP Practice. Scope#2 the stitches dissolved, no visit to have them removed by the practice nurse.

Are my suspicions right that when the discharge report was amended forgot to change that the sutures in situ need to be removed manually by a nurse at my local GP cannot see it breaking up in any way, judge for yourself, please advise if my suspicions are correct on the two attached photos?

[email protected]

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Go ask the GP nurse at 10-14 days post op

No one here can tell you, Nick  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10