Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282733 times)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
I'd try to lie on the good side with a pillow between your knees. Should stop the brace digging into the good leg. Take your pain meds regularly as prescribed. Hopefully they have given you something stronger which will make you sleepy on top of the residual anaesthetic

Good luck for your recovery
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
Hi Clarkey , just stopping by to say I hope the op went well and that you are recovering. Sorry I didn't wish you luck beforehand, but have been thinking of you. Take care and let us know how it is going when you feel up to it. I hope you are not too sore and having a good rest.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
17/01/18 Day 1 Post Op

Vicky, Thanks for the tip using the pillows between my legs to stop the knee brace digging into my right leg when lying on my left side. I did not have much sleep over the last 24hrs feeling really drained out compared to my previous 2 scopes, cold and shivering and cannot seem to sleep with only 2 hrs sleep so far since waking up after surgery yesterday afternoon.

Puffy, hope you can sort out your never-ending knee saga with concrete treatment plans set in place. Very annoying and frustrating when you are not making progress and are in pain and discomfort.

Lost what I posted earlier, not myself feel like a space cadet on drugs right now head feeling fuzzy with heavy eyes due to meds and lack of sleep. A full update of scope#3 will come up when my energy levels are higher again after a good night sleep.

Photos of my knee brace and my cat Ellie on the end of the bed. Cats pick up when you are unwell, she has been at my bedside all last night and all day today. Have got up and have done some small PT from a TKR exercise sheet the hospital gave me with ROM hinge set at 90 degrees.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:37:58 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
18/01/18 Day 2 Post Op

Slept better last night still waking up restless feeling cold with pain and stiffness from lying on the side of the leg brace feels heavy on the right leg. Just getting used to it the 1st 24hrs was not easy to adapt to. Was told I need to wear it for 6 weeks day and night usually you are allowed to take the brace off in the nighttime while in bed? Will, of course, do what I have been instructed to do. Still clueless what has been done during surgery and may have the energy tomorrow to call the hospital.

Got up Tuesday morning after sleeping ok with taxi arriving in time @06:30 the taxi driver sat nav sent him to a side road with a no entry sign which was meant to be the hospital entrance. I guided him in the end as he does not know Birmingham very well living in Worcestershire. Fair play he knocked £5 off the fare for the sat nav stupid directions and told him not to worry sat nav often send you to odd places, this has happened to me many times. When we did arrive hardly sat down and was called into the ACDU ward giving my mum and hug and following the nurse with 3 other patients to our ward for the day.

Birmingham locals are known as Brummies having a good laugh and banter with 2 Brummies 1 was opposite me and the other one on the right side bed next to me. the guy on the left must have thought the 3 of us where crackers chatting away to one another. The nurse asked the usual standard questions followed by the registrar putting a black arrow pointing up to the tibia and patella tendon in the right knee to make 100% sure the right knee to will be scoped. The anaesthetist came next explaining the procedure of a general anaesthetic with a local injected after surgery to numb the pain when waking up. Prof Snow came in with his coat and scarf quickly saying hello and what will be done. He never mentioned I would be partial weight bearing wearing a knee brace and 2 crutches for 6 weeks post-op. The MRI scan was done January 2017 over one year a lot can change.

I was the 3rd on his list day for around 11:00 or slightly later to be called into the theatre. I got chatting with a Brummie passing the time for both of us. He was diabetic and told him he should be the 1st one in theatre so could drink and eat, he was having surgery on his thumb and would have his hand numbed fully awake. He joked with the nurse to order chips and steak medium rare for lunch. The patient to my right said he only come for the free tea and toast both had a good sense of humour with great banter with the nurses and patients at the ward.

Midday on the dot the nurse came in saying they are now ready for me in the theatre! I got changed into my gown, did not have to wear surgical pants could wear my own that did not happen with my 2 previous scopes. I pulled on the surgical stocking too high up on my left leg the nurse frantically pulling it down saying jokingly it is not a stocking you pull over your knee I don't know what will we do with you. Reality hit me at that point walking with the porter and trolley to the theatre 6 that was a long walk from the ward. Limping behind slowly made me realise I am making the right decision to consent to my 3rd right knee surgery exactly 8 years and 2 months after scope#1 16th November 2009.

I thought I was calm and ok then nerves set with the buildup waiting and walking into theatre holding bay. my heart rate was beating quickly when they put on the straps to monitor my heart. The anaesthetist put the cannula into on top of my right-hand vein felt a quick sharp prick that was done quickly. Chatted 1st to a really nice theatre nurse really down to earth saying can hear Christmas music being played that a bit late in the theatre easing my nerves. Was given a drug to make me calmer into the cannula felt pleasant and relaxed chatting away to the nurses saying jokingly you must be sick of me chatting all morning now is your chance to shut me up I am ready now. Was having a good chat with two nurses, could see from the corner of my right eye administrating of the GA through a syringe very odd sensation but a pleasant one saying to the nurse as my head went fuzzy telling her about my cat Ellie, what colour is she said the nurse black and white, was out like a light bulb.

Will end it here with the 2nd update tomorrow how I felt when I woke up in the recovery room. As expected feel groggy still from all the meds I have been given and interrupted sleep pattern. Writing is draining my energy levels low! Must have been under longer than the scheduled 40 minutes or would not be wearing a leg brace. Feeling it more compared to my 2 previous scopes wish they told me what was done at the ADCU ward.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:38:40 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
19/01/18 Day 3 Post Op

Finally had a decent night sleep from 22:00 until 07:00 waking up once to go to the toilet @03:15 and a glass of water. Also good to get the blood circulating around as I lay on my left side for 5 hours. I need to take it easy by not using the stairs too much or start feeling pain behind hamstrings.

Woke up in the recovery room shaking and shivering, took a while until I had the energy to open my eyes and could hear feel something pressing against my knee pumping the same feeling when taking your blood pressure that type of sensation with gentler pressure. Could hear something pumping in the background while feeling groggy or may have imagined it? The nurse had a tube that that looks like the flexible tubing at the back of a tumble dryer with warm air flowing through the pipe under the blankets. I am normally ok with a GA without any side effects after the previous 2 scopes fully alert when waking up so presuming I was under longer than 40 minutes.

I arrived back in the ACDU ward at around 15:30 had been out of the ward for 3 hours, the guy on my left was in theatre or recovery with his shoulder surgery. The chatty patient opposite me just left as I was wheeled in again saying goodbye to each other just in time. He was still waiting for his thumb surgery when I left to go to the theatre, he must have been called in shortly after me.

Was nice to have a cup of coffee and toast with butter after not eating since 22:00 night before, can see why the patient said he only has come so he gets his free cup of tea and toast to lighten the mood. Each surgery I have had the first sip of coffee and slice of toast is divine cannot match it. Two physiotherapists came and fitted the leg brace setting angle at 90 degrees. I was shown how to use the 2 crutches and can partially weight bear walking along the corridor and going up and down the 1st flight of stairs. Been Booked for 27/02/18 for physiotherapy. Told me to keep the brace on for 6 weeks day and night, can take it off for washing and icing as long as my right leg is lying flat to undo the velcro strapping. The alan key it to adjust the angle that has to be set at 90 degrees for the 6 weeks.

The ADCU ward closes at 18:00, met my mum at the reception at 17:45 with the nurse instructing her about the meds I am taking that I will disclose in detail tomorrow one of them is strong taking it at before bed or would be like a zombie all day. 

It so annoying not knowing what has been done will call the hospital Monday morning to put my mind at ease. Think my self-employed gardening would be too risky. Will stick to doing a few neighbours gardens doing lighter gardening duties. Think the days lifting lawnmowers and heavy equipment and bags into the car boot are over! Have to be sensible looking into an office job possibly? Good at writing on computers that is something my mum and family are advising me to do. Maybe I am being too cautious with myself with influence advice from my family playing on my mind. Part-time support worker for kids with mental or physical needs still keen to do despite the setbacks last year! Will not allow it to knock back my confidence, I am good with young people.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:39:47 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
20/01/18 Day 4 Post Op

Another great night sleep getting up once for my nightly routine going to the toilet with so many liquids from all the pills prescribed to me bending my knee towards me on side of the bed not to stiffen up from lying down for a long time period.

Meds I have been given are:

Paracetamol 500mg tablets - two to four tablets a day
Ibuprofen 400mg tablets - one tablet three times a day
Dihydrocodeine 300mg tablets - one or two tablets four times a day when required max 4 24hrs
Senna 75mg tablets - two tablets once a day at night

I did take the maximum dose in 24hrs of dihydrocodeine the 1st two days post-op that was making me feel spaced out! Taking one dihydrocodeine and ibuprofen tablet in the evening with two paracetamol and senna tablets.

My right hip bilateral femoral acetabular impingement with labral pathology is starting to flare up again! Was expecting it to return again after my right knee scope is bound to have a negative impact on the right hip wearing what feels heavy knee brace is not ideal but essential for the recovery process.

Was like a comedy sketch yesterday with my mum reluctant to take off the outer bandages 72hrs post-op seeing the nurse at our local medical centre. The nurses face walking in with 2 crutches thinking I had shoulder surgery 'Suprascapular nerve release' with my mum holding a small clear plastic bag with a metal alan key. Also on the GP's sent notes that's a great shame as the nurses and surgical team were all fantastic. Knocking off 1 star out of 5 stars as I felt I was being rushed to go despite telling them please find out what surgery has been done on my right knee as it was close to the 18:00 when the ADCU wards close, not my fault I had a longer recovery than anticipated. She was surprised by the mistake and showed us both how to unstrap the velcro belts and used safe none pointed scissors cutting through the centre of the outer bandage. The inner bandages indicate keyhole surgery was expecting to see a large incision at along the tibia to expose the patella tendon.

Sorry for the gory attached photos! Can see my right knee is swollen that's normal on the 4th day after surgery feeling pain at the back of my knee behind hamstring with some shooting pain at times from the top of my right hip down to the knee. I cannot do any of the physio exercises anymore for my right hip impingement should I ask for a PT appointment before 27th February for advice on my hip, my hip OS said to carry on with PT sessions and see how I am in June when I next see him again. Cannnot do what he advised or the cortisone injection is injection is wearing out.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:40:42 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
ouch

Sorry your hip has flared up again. Glad you were looked after well in hospital. I've been to Birmingham, yes the people there are friendly :)

Can you ring up and ask about your hip - would've thought they'd know you can't do hip exercises when you've just had knee surgery!

Have they still not actually told you what the findings were after your surgery?

Bit dodgy them thinking it was your shoulder that had surgery.

Maybe when you are in less pain it will be easier to take in, what they found, and that's why they haven't gone through it with you yet.

Really hope your soreness eases up soon and the hip flare up dies down, and you get some answers from them.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
21/01/18 Day 5 Post Op

Puffy, Thanks for checking in how I am doing on top your worries with your never-ending knee saga, not finding a solution to your problems is bound to get to you mentally and physically. Back in July 2014 when I had scope#2 they put down the wrong procedure in my discharge notes saying I had' lateral release' surgery (LR) when it should have said 'anterior interval release' surgery (AIR) that can easily be confused as AIR surgery is not well known while LR is more of a common knee surgery that more familiar at the ADCU wards. This time around it very poor messing up a completely different joint and surgical procedure for keyhole surgery on the shoulder. Maybe the guy that actually had the surgery done on his shoulder hs discharge notes said that he had my knee surgery and wondering as well what are the hells going on?

Has anyone had problems wearing a ROM altering knee brace, I am able to have a sponge body wash standing beside the washbasin but cannot wash my right leg, not wise while standing to remove the brace off. My mum kindly helped me wash off the iodine solution with warm soapy water. The skin under brace started to itch coming up in red blotches soothing the skin with E45 cream. The knee brace keeps falling down and was pressing against my knee with the ROM round bar digging into the side of the knee! Kept on altering it but keeps on dropping down as soon as I walk. Have been watching The Master Snooker Final all afternoon to keep my mind focused so I do not get up too much. My poor mum feels responsible, told her it not her fault and not to worry and blame herself.

I noticed that the two main incisions are more towards the centre of my kneecap when my previous 2 scopes are more to the inner and outer side of the kneecap. I have attached 2 photos of 1 of my knee comparing it to a standard knee arthroscopy diagram, clear to see the incisions/portals are further in or might just look this way from the camera angle I have taken. Does this give more of an idea what has been done where the portal holes have been placed Maybe did have patella decompression surgery and the brace is there to stop the patella tendon from snapping after being traumatised during surgery or a microfracture is the other knee related surgery, where you have to wear a brace for 6 weeks partial weight bearing using 2 crutches. Bone spurs in the knee were mentioned in one of my MRI scans, might have removed the spurs and the cartilage has become soft and delicate during the healing process similar to a microfracture. Playing the guessing game should finally find out tomorrow what surgery was performed on my right knee when I call Prof Snow's secretary, have rung up a few times using her direct telephone number on my iPhone.   

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:41:26 PM by Clarkey »

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
I found this online regarding knee brace slipping. I hope it Helps.

"I am currently using a Knee Immobilizer and having the same problem. After reading several suggestions on different sites, I tried one that said "wrap the calf area with self stick ace bandage a few times around. So glad I tried this it really WORKS. Before the brace would go down just with few steps. Now I can move around all day and it does not slip. (I have staples just below the patella) This is so amazing! Try the it!"
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
22/01/18 Day 6 Post Op

Been a stressful day finding out what surgery was performed! It such long-winded process finding out a simple phone request calling Professor Snowís secretary going through 4 departments before finally getting a callback. Have had 3 procedures done during the arthroscopy. The full details will be confirmed fully once I received the correct discharge notes and can confirm 2 out of 3 of the procedures done.

Anterior interval release
Patella decompression surgery

What I expected would be performed the 3rd procedure was torn cartilage repair work not sure yet if it was a microfracture or a meniscus tear trim? I was always sceptical about the MRI scan images missing out a tear! Been told how accurate the images are with a small percentage of negative MRI scans showing up positive. Always knew patella tendinitis was not the only knee problem with a gut feeling all the time why I was keen for a diagnostic arthroscopy this time last year.

The next ordeal was the knee ROM brace waking up with the knee brace pressing against the top of my kneecap. Was on the phone to the hospital again talking to 3 different departments. Kristin your idea worked out well wrapping a long bandage around my leg thigh and calf muscle gives a better grip. Falls down slowly and have will see the community nurse tomorrow afternoon at my local medical practice to refit the knee ROM brace properly. Now more tight and snug that great temporary fix, thanks for the tip and sharing.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:42:23 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
23/01/18 Day 7 Post Op

After a nightmare start to the week today things are starting to settle down again. Spoke to my sister that works as an orthopaedic nurse about the knee brace nightmare and said to wear the knee brace outside my tracksuit trousers that should stop it from slipping down. It has worked well just feels very lumpy and heavy putting stain on my right hip bilateral femoral acetabular impingement while doing leg raises to fire up quads to slowly build them up again. Cancelled the appointment with the nurse to refit the ROM knee brace. My sister will try and find a lighter knee brace at the hospital she works at for many years as an orthopaedic nurse. The one I was given is massive with lots of foaming cut away to fit around my calf & thigh muscles! She has written down what was done during surgery so the right knee brace is provided show her OS to get the right type of knee brace with less weight to carry around.

Week One out of the way five more weeks to go before I can wave goodbye to my leg knee brace. Have got a physio appointment more local at an NHS hospital closer to where I live this coming Thursday 25th January. I will ask them to remove the dressing from the portals should be able to soak the leg somehow as I am not able to shower or bath will get the ROM knee brace soaked. Maybe using a water spray water bottle or container with water dipping my right leg into a container to soak portal dressings. RICE regular taking fewer ibuprofen tablets just mornings and evening or would be too drugged up too much.

No way can attend my uncles funeral tomorrow, will be home alone. Do not feel too guilty, my uncle was in his late 80s and was not in good health the last few months of his life. My dadís sister's husband his brother-in-law, my aunt his wife died two years ago at the same time.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:43:02 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
24/01/18 Day 8 Post Op

I now have the official diagnoses after giving the incorrect procedure in my ADCU discharge report. The hospital dealt with my inquiry professionally admitting and apologising fit their mix posting the report they I received today.

Anterior interval release
Distal patella excision
Lateral meniscal repair

Not surprised found a meniscus tear, always knew something else wrong, not only chronic patella tendinitis! Medial meniscus tears are more common than lateral tears and glad my gamble paid off in the end. I now know what I am dealing admitting defeat that my long distance running days are well and truly over! To wreck the knee completely at a young age would be stupid and irresponsible actions leading to a TKR.

My concern is the AIR surgery for the 2nd time! I am not able to do and patella mobilisation with the knee in a brace with Lateral meniscus repair and decompression of patella tendon scarring is highly likely to come back. I am limited in what PT exercises I can do for first 6 weeks post op with ROM knee brace set at 90 degrees. Straight leg raises finding the weight of brace too heavy thatís either too loose or too tight putting a strain on right hip labrum tear.

Also will no be doing regular gardening jobs, will stick to doing 2 clients gardens that are both elderly, wise and sympathetic and understanding, saying not to rush back again and not to worry I am not able to do their gardens at the start of the growing season. Think it is the right decision not to do a manual labour job with a dodgy right knee and hip.

Even at the charity shop might have to help upstairs sorting through donations or would feel guilty when heavy donations arrive and say canít lift it due to joint problems and going up the steep stairs all day with clothing thatís light is a strain for the joints if they are delicate. Will be 40 in December and look young for my age about late 20s to early 30s. Why I might have got the tear feeling guilty if I donít help lift heavy items from an elderly person car with crutches as a classic example.

Should I start being more cautious and weary from now onward? Preserving whatís left on my knee after 3 scopes in less than a decade is a lot of trauma for the knee to go through and need to be sensible from now onwards.

Might part exchanging my car for an automatic only got the car last year a 2nd hand 2013 Seat Leon 1.2tsi sporty to drive that is putting the strain on my right knee and hip. Will miss driving a manual gearbox a small price to pay for it helps reduce strain without a clutch pedal. Can still get a good part exchange price that will be 5 years old in February.

To pass the time have some photos attached and can see it slipping down! My two companions Boris the knee brace and Neil the knee. Showing my funny side, having a laugh about the whole situation instead of being down in the dumps; :) ;) 8)

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:43:40 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
Hi Nick,

I have been a member of KG for years and have followed your diary.  I will say that I did a double take when I read your last entry.  Over the years numerous people who have had severe issues with their knees have tried to give you guidance but, for some reason, their words went unheeded and you wound up right back where you started (and seemed perplexed as to why it happened).  After all you have gone through, all the surgeries you have had, all the instructions (from both your surgeon and other KG members) you have chosen not to follow, are you truly asking "should you start being more cautious?"  What do you think you should do?  Do you think you should totally disregard your surgeon's instructions? Do you think you should change the type of brace your surgeon put on your leg without consulting with him first?  Take a look back at your posts.  Read what people had written to you and what you told us your surgeon said.  Can you say that you followed the recommendations of your surgeon and others who have been in similar situations? If you hope to gain anything positive from this last surgery I seriously hope you rethink what you have done in the past and "start being more cautious".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:41:17 PM by Chester57 »
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Ref the car Nick...you realise an automatic still has the accelerator/brake pedals on the right. It's only your left knee that gets a rest as there's no clutch pedal.
So changing your car to an auto won't do much for your right knee if that's what you're thinking :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kaelyn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
A lot about healing is a positive mindset, if you're expecting the operation to not work then its probably not going too, positive thinking is a powerful tool! Listen to the protocols that have been put in place and remember that things take time, don't write yourself off yet!